Larger discs on a brembo set up??

Husky

im not really wanting k sports tbh

If i go down the entire brake system change route it will just have to wait for ages as it drops to the bottom of the list due to expense. I dont understand what people are getting at with the cost side of things? :blush: I can't see a bit of metal bracket equating to the cost of an entire new caliper and lines or am i missing something? :blink:

Husky mate, at the end of the day its up to your choice, all we are saying is that this is NOT going to work and if it does will cost probably more than to buy an integral BBK system out of the box offset by of your Brembo :thumbs:

First of all, the main issue will be the height mismatch between the Brembo calliper and a bigger disc and the depth from the outside face of the rotor to the outside face of the hat :surrender: .

Remember the Brembo calliper is a single unit that attaches to the hub via 14mm bolts so you would need to engineer an extension bracket solution between the hub and the brembo calliper while keeping the all the alignments.

Another solution will be to cut and weld an extension on the calliper bracket to accomodate the diameter of your larger rotor but this cannot be easy and might not be strong enough :scare: i will be very wary even to construct such an extension because it will have to withand the physical and thermal stresses that is encountered in braking and is liable to fail.

Secondly, as pointed out by Chris I, bigger disc will also be thicker so the only way will be to use thinner pads by wearing them down or skimming the rotor to fits OEM pads in the space available ;) FYI i think the front brembo are 28 or 30mm thick with diameter 324mm. Bigger rotor size start from 330mm then 355 or 356mm which are usually 32mm thick, then 380mm and 400mm. (R35 rotors is 380mm X 34mm BTW) :p Brembo pads are 15mm so do the maths of how much skimming or wearing down will be needed :teeth:

Thirdly if you manage to get a larger 356mm rotor that is 30mm thick, there will be a rotor to calliper mismatch ;) as the Brembo will only sweep the outer part of the rotor which will lead to many issues, eg localised lipping, heating and eventual deformation of the rotor, the unswept central areas will also become rusted and look aesthetically unpleasing, etc :scare:

If you can get a 330 X 30mm this will be the closest rotor upgrade to work allowing for a small mismatch but it is a lot of work for a rotor upgrade that will visually the same size as the 324mm OEM rotor ;)

I have to buy the discs either way, same with pads so the caliper is the only bit im talking about not buying instead getting a bracket made.

If you cost the disc, pads and the "bracket" presumably for all 4 corners the surely it will be as expensive as the difference selling your brembos for a cheap BBK like K sport minus the costs new pads/rotors x 4.

If i really wanted, the bracket could be made from steel then it definately isnt going anywhere. Like i say this seems quite common on other cars just no one does it on zeds. This doesnt seem to be something anyone knows about and i might post on my350 about it to see what people say... :shrug:

Fourthly, i think you are confusing the idea that people try to upgrade their smaller brake rotor step-up by using marginally bigger rotors of the same or slightly larger thickness from other models within the same manufacturer line up or similar design from other brands. eg Take the Nissan range:

Z32 pre 92" NA 280mm x280mm x 26mm , 12mm bolts

all other Z32 280mm x 30mm, 12mm bolts

R32 GTR 296mm x 32mm,12mm bolts

R32 V-spec GTR 324mm x 30mm, 12mm bolts

R33 GTR brembo 324mm x 30mm, 12mm bolts

R34 GTR brembo 324mm x 30mm, 14mm bolts

350z brembo 324mm x 30mm, 14mm bolts

R35 brembo 380 x 34mm, 19 bolts

*The difference between the 350Z rotors and the R33GTR or Z32 rotors is in what they call 'Original Height'. Depth from the outside face of the rotor to the outside face of the hat.

Z32 & R33 GTR rotors are 54mm, the 350Z is 49mm, (10/05 on with 17" wheels is 49.7mm & touring 49.2mm)

So just by looking at these dimensions you can see why it is possible to "upgrade" from the 300zx or NA R32 smaller rotor to 324mm rotors just with adapting brackets like in your link. But more commonly as you know is the complete swap to the brembo setup than just a rotor swap as the JDM 350z guys do with the brembo :thumbs:

see this link for similar of disc swaps with adaptor keeping OEM calliper:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/brand-new-35 ... 66442.html

But you CANNOT just swap for a bigger rotor and hope to fit the OEM calliper over it with some just bracketry :surrender:

See pups, i understand that you are not looking for a performance upgrade just cosmetics but without trying to appear i'm knocking down your idea its not going to work or if it does it will be dodgy. I hope i have exposed the potential issues and alternatives but i would be happy to be proven wrong :lol:

It will improve braking performance though as the pads are further away from the centre.

Can you also tell me how a stock brembo on a bigger rotor ie if you could make it fit and work will perform better than the stock brembo on stock rotors?

this is a question guys :lol: i dont have a milling machine in one hand and an etch-a-sketch in the other :lol:

-----------------

bigger disc benefit:

moment = force applied × perpendicular distance from the pivot

````````````````````````^^^this bit would increase^^^

------------------

anyhow, like i say was just a thought to see if it can be applied to the brembo set up, not for braking performance but to fit larger discs. if thats a definite no, then we shall move on :lol:

Actually Husky, although you're right that increasing the diameter of the disc would increase braking performance (as long as you moved the pads out to be clamping the edge of the disc) I don't think the equation you used to prove it can be applied in this situation.

It's the torque capacity that indicates the braking performance available and:

The torque capacity of the brakes = (friction coefficient)x(number of friction surfaces)x(axial clamp load)x(mean effective radius of friction lining)

so assuming that the friction coeff. and clamp load stay the same then increasing the mean effective radius will indeed increase your torque capacity. There is another equation to calculate the mean effective radius but in simple terms, increasing the outer radius of the friction lining will increase the mean effective radius.

But, I guess none of this is actually very helpful for you and in answer to your original question, I have no idea if it's possible. Personally I think it probably isn't worth it and the one area on the car that I'd least like to experiment with is the braking system!

Actually Husky, although you're right that increasing the diameter of the disc would increase braking performance (as long as you moved the pads out to be clamping the edge of the disc) I don't think the equation you used to prove it can be applied in this situation.

It's the torque capacity that indicates the braking performance available and:

The torque capacity of the brakes = (friction coefficient)x(number of friction surfaces)x(axial clamp load)x(mean effective radius of friction lining)

so assuming that the friction coeff. and clamp load stay the same then increasing the mean effective radius will indeed increase your torque capacity. There is another equation to calculate the mean effective radius but in simple terms, increasing the outer radius of the friction lining will increase the mean effective radius.

But, I guess none of this is actually very helpful for you and in answer to your original question

no its all helpfull actually, i didnt break out the old mechanics books :lol: but i do know exactly what your talking about :thumbs:

I have no idea if it's possible. Personally I think it probably isn't worth it and the one area on the car that I'd least like to experiment with is the braking system!

agreed ;)

i should have just gone straight down to the brakes dept at work and asked ;):lol: :lol:

Don't give up Husky :snack: I am still waiting confirmation on the availability of 345mm x 30 mm rotors. We could be on to a winner if this is available as it will only be a case of addressing the bracketry to fit this to the Brembo calliper and hub.

However because the costs will be close to the cheap BBK set up already in the market it will be purely a technical challenge for you as the only extra cost is the bracket since you need to buy pads and rotors anyway :teeth:

If you choose to :surrender: now then thats also cool :lol::lol:

the bracket would cost under a tenner to knock up.

im not really interested in a cheap full bbk brake set up, if i were going to go the whole hog i would buy some decent ones.

as i said, this was merely a question to see if it was possible as i imagine there would be a few people looking for a similar set up if it were.

the bracket would cost under a tenner to knock up.

im not really interested in a cheap full bbk brake set up, if i were going to go the whole hog i would buy some decent ones.

as i said, this was merely a question to see if it was possible as i imagine there would be a few people looking for a similar set up if it were.

Keep at it, IMO its a good idea. Not for performance but for looks.

• 8 months later...
A solution for you John ;)

http://www.rhdjapan.com/global-z-big-br ... -v35-64368

they also do a rear kit

Any idea on what you can use as replacement rotors though? Do they match some other car so you can get 2 piece discs or anything? If the kit maker is the only one to make the discs then you are a bit screwed ;)

they also do a rear kit

designed for 18" wheels ;) and not for 19" as op :p

And?

With a 19" wheel you get more clearance :bangin:

Says nowhere on there not for use with 19" wheels ;)

Ah yes but as it was asthetics in question surely with a 19" they would look smaller than with an 18" wheel.

Also they are solid discs and i thought he wanted drilled or slotted or both again for asthetics. :D

they also do a rear kit

Any idea on what you can use as replacement rotors though? Do they match some other car so you can get 2 piece discs or anything? If the kit maker is the only one to make the discs then you are a bit screwed ;)

:shrug:

I just find these things, no interest in them anymore :p

Its not a bad price TBH but I wonder if the PMU or endless BBK disks would fit?

they also do a rear kit

designed for 18" wheels ;) and not for 19" as op :p

And?

With a 19" wheel you get more clearance :bangin:

Says nowhere on there not for use with 19" wheels ;)

Ah yes but as it was asthetics in question surely with a 19" they would look smaller than with an 18" wheel.

Also they are solid discs and i thought he wanted drilled or slotted or both again for asthetics. :D

No smaller than a BBK with the same size disks