08 350z no 1st service stamp

aaron306

Hello everyone, i was just wondering if any of you could offer up some advice. Sorry for the long post

I recently went to have a look at an 08 350z with 5k miles at a nissan dealership, everything looked ok and it drove with no problems. I had a look around the car with a friend and couldn't see anything majorly wrong with it, i asked if it had been recently serviced as it had just passed 2 year old and was informed it hadn't as they hadn't had it in long but they would get it done asap if i was interested in having the car. I decided i wanted the car so paid they deposit and off i went.

Since i got home i realised i never had a look at the service book to see when the 1st service was done ( i know, rookie mistake) so i rang the dealer to see when the 1st service was carried out. Basically according to the dealer, the car was previously owned by nissan themselves and has never had a private owner and was serviced at 12month old but doesn't have a stamp in the book! The 1st stamp will be the one its just had done 24month with 5k miles, do you think this sounds abit dodgy and would you still buy the car without a 1st service stamp? It doesn't make sense to me why, if owned by nissan since new,they didn't stamp it when they serviced it which as far as im aware with it not having proof of a service at 12month the warranty is void.

Im thinking about walking away from this one but just wondered if anyone could offer any advice before i do so

thx Aaron

not a major biggie at that low mileage

services are every 9000 miles or 12 months, with only 5k on it although its done more than 12 months its not like its ad a hard life.

id be more worried if it had 13k on it and no service

I had a similar issue when I bought my ex-Nissan fleet car, 18 months old and with only a single 80pt check stamp. The car was low mileage (7K) and in great condition, so I asked them to give it a full P2 service before I bought it which brought the car back into date. I carried on with the normal service interval since and have happily claimed on the warranty until it ran out. There's no issues with that at all, as the car has been in their care anyway. If you're that bothered ask them to write a letter stating that the warranty will still be valid despite the lack of stamp, you're covered then. :thumbs:

Nissan should be able to trace when/if it was serviced at 12 months even though the service book is un-stamped. It can then be corrected if it is simply a case of a stamp missing.

I agree with rtbiscuit that at that low mileage it shouldn't be a big issue, but if it were me I would want a signed letter from Nissan (not the dealer) that the warranty is unaffected. Given it was one of 'their' cars that should not be too difficult but without that assurance if something did go wrong I would not put it past Nissan to excuse themselves from a warranty claim.

Is your deposit refundable? If not make it clear that you would not have paid it if you had any idea the servicng was not carried out as per the schedule and in which case your deposit should be refunded, if you do not get satisfactory answer(s) to the way forward I have suggested above ;)

thx for the quick replies :thumbs:

I was thinking about asking for a letter or similar stating the remainder of the warrenty is still valid as i live >100miles from the garage where the car is so wont be returning there for any work if needed, but i was worrying more about when i come to sell on the car? I've asked the dealer to see if there's any chance of sending the book to where it was serviced and getting me a stamp that way! Im waiting a call back to see what they can do, im just abit hesitant spending 20k on a car that doesn't appear (as far as the service book is concerned) to have a full service history.

Ebized - Not sure about the deposit, ill have to see what they say about that if they don't come back to me with a satisfactory response

thx for the advice though guys you've settled my mind a little anyway. :)

I'm actually one service ahead of myself with my car, and I figure that if I sell the car to a dealer he won't care, and if I sell privately I'll be able to explain why and point out the extra attention the car has had. Tbh missing one service isn't really going to make the blindest bit of difference to the value of the car anyway.