Bloody noise from under bonnet

Bluffy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps when you last checked, the car wasn't level. That would give a false reading.

no it wasnt level

Mike you want your arse kicking ...HARD :p .... ;) Mike Bluffy not you mikey

yep lesson learned... hopefully thats it and no real damage. Going to have system flushed and oil changed this week... Tell you what, I have not felt so sick in ages...

should be Ok ..... brave man to post that on the forum...if it was me I'd have button'd it :D

I'm just going out to check mine now, not done it for a week :blush:

I bet anyone who has read this will be to B)

yes certainly will be checking mine more often. Think is I have not really used it that much.

anybody any idea of whether it will have damaged my engine at such a level?

no I dont think so or your oil pessure light would have come on , I think it will be the hydraulic cam chalin tensioner not working correctly due to low pressure... just get oil changed along with a filter and I'm sure you'll be Ok.. like Liam said still under warranty, but I wouldnt mention this little Faux pas :teeth:

anybody any idea of whether it will have damaged my engine at such a level?

no I dont think so or your oil pessure light would have come on , I think it will be the hydraulic cam chalin tensioner not working correctly due to low pressure... just get oil changed along with a filter and I'm sure you'll be Ok.. like Liam said still under warranty, but I wouldnt mention this little Faux pas :teeth:

cheers guys.

R u guys mad :scare:

What the hell caused this much loss of oil - sorry to intrude but THIS IS TOO MUCH OIL TO LOSE

3000 miles on a brand new engine without checking the oil or topping up... adds a cumulative effect on the level of oil I would think...all engines use oil.. new ones more than most

Guest prescience
R u guys mad :scare:

What the hell caused this much loss of oil - sorry to intrude but THIS IS TOO MUCH OIL TO LOSE

3000 miles on a brand new engine without checking the oil or topping up... adds a cumulative effect on the level of oil I would think...all engines use oil.. new ones more than most

I was only being sensitive.

Just step back, the guy had a horrible sound when in low gear, he confirmed it approximated a previously reported problem on my350Z; his oil pressure is well below the Nissan standard for checking.

I am sorry for being sucked into this previous reticence - get your oil pressure checked OIL PRESSURE IS THE HEARTBEAT OF YOUR ENGINE; IF YOU HAVE CHEST PAINS, DO YOU TAKE A ONE MILE RUN?????

No I'm with you on that Dorian , but whats the guy to do ...he cant go to the dealer and say I've nearly run this out of oil , can you check it over.... No fill it up , change the oil/ filter, have it serviced as per schedule and keep that 3 year warranty... and say nothing to the dealer

Guest prescience

Tim,

I hear what you say but b*llocks and sorry bluffy - if you don't check your oil between services (are you saying that, really Tim? ) then you must reap what you sow.

Even yet, no engine should lose more oil than 1l/1000km without triggering a possible problem - AND YES YOU DO NEED TO BE ABLE TO DETECT THAT

I am sorry for being hot on this but my Supercharger relies on engine oil for lubrication and as a subject it is close to my heart (forgive the pun) - but it always is/was because I always stress my cars beyond manufacturers tolerances, on the basis that I am better informed than them on the conditions in which I apply the stress and that they have to cater for all manner of less-informed drivers :)

Tim,

I hear what you say but b*llocks and sorry bluffy - if you don't check your oil between services (are you saying that, really Tim? ) then you must reap what you sow.

Even yet, no engine should lose more oil than 1l/1000km without triggering a possible problem - AND YES YOU DO NEED TO BE ABLE TO DETECT THAT

I am sorry for being hot on this but my Supercharger relies on engine oil for lubrication and as a subject it is close to my heart (forgive the pun) - but it always is/was because I always stress my cars beyond manufacturers tolerances, on the basis that I am better informed than them on the conditions in which I apply the stress and that they have to cater for all manner of less-informed drivers :)

think I will take it to another dealer, get them to flush system, put new in, and ask if there was anything in the oil as had to top it up alot. See what they say.

I wait to get shot down in flames here but I have had three new cars in the past and allthough none of them could be called performance vehicles none of them used a drop of oil between services and not a drip from new.

Some engines are more prone than others, my old jag being one, but to loose/use so much oil on a brand new engine is not right. (A Maxda RX8 might be an exception as rotary engines do use al ot of oil) If this were the case we would be being told on purchase.

I am sure it does not state the need to top up your engine on a regular basis in the handbook. With new engines you should check the engines oil and water once a month and older ones once a week. this is only a precaution.

If it were me and my engine had lost so much oil in 3000 miles i would be down to Nissan and having a right old rant and rave and DEMANDING a full engine check together with a compression check to make sure that all is well. I would EXPECT Nissan to pay for this. this situation is not an owner fault in my humble opinion.

Topping it up, changing the filter and hoping that any problem MIGHT manifest itself in the three years of warranty is not a sensible option.

GET IT SORTED NOW!!

Ming the Opinionated

Guest prescience
Tim,

think I will take it to another dealer, get them to flush system, put new in, and ask if there was anything in the oil as had to top it up alot. See what they say.

Good idea and I am with Ming on this one. When I was doing a bit of a search on my350Z for some info on your noise, I noticed quite a number of engines which had had high oil usage and had subsequently thrown a rod through the block. If nothing else, get it documented at the dealers that you believe there is a problem :)

Ok , from an engineering stand point you can ask your dealer to check the car out, say it has used oil in the first 3000 miles that you consider out of the recommended guidelines.... BUT on NO account tell the dealer that you have run it so low on oil level that the oil pressure has all but gone :headhurt: It is wrote in big letters in your handbook(and every other car made I would imagine ) that if you run the oil level low no warranty claims will be entertained ....PERIOD

and no Dorian I never said dont check your between services..

Ming .... 1litre/1000 miles on a new engine will not cause any raised eyebrows at Nissan (nor Porsche for that matter , on the 944 I had new everywhere you looked on the car it was wrote up "have you checked your oil" on the petrol filler cap, even on the sun visor!! 1L/1000m normal)

Yes in an ideal world it would be lovely to poll into the dealers and say I've just had to put in 3 litres of oil can you sort it out, and be greeted with tea and sympathy and a full health check..In real life I think you will have the same reaction that Pyro has had on the other side when his car threw a rod..

A friend of mine has just bought a new Nissan four wheel drive done 8000 miles in it went back to dealer for service no probs, on collection was told he had lost his warranty because it was 2000 over the recommended limit :scare: Obviously many tel calls to Nissan took place to sort it out; but you can get my drift.

Mike you have PM :thumbs:

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here. I've now done just over 3000 miles in my car from new. Driving has been varied to say the least from a track day to 5 hours stop start on the motorway.

I had to fill the oil at about 1700 miles as it was getting a little low (just before the track day if I recall correctly) took 3/4 of a litre to get it back to just under the full mark. Then just about a week ago I added another 1/2 litre at about 3100 miles again to bring it back up to the full line.

The difference in oil between the full and low mark on the dip stick is around 1 litre. So from this I'm using around 1 litre per 2000 miles. Seems about right. Would expect a little more if I was driving it a little harder.

Would agree that new cars use more oil in the first 5000 - 7500 miles than what it would be normally. After this, from my experience, I would expect a car like the Z to use around 1 litre of oil for every 4000 - 5000 miles.

Bluffy if you only had to add 1.7 litres to bring it back to the max I wouldn't have too many sleepless nights. Anymore and I would be a little concerned. I'd recommend, as you're going to do, having the oil changed and put in something really nice like the Amsol and get back to enjoying the car! :yahoo:

Everyone should be checking their oil every 1000 miles, no matter what car they have and expect to put in 1/2 litre every second check.

P.S. putting to much oil in there is just as harmfull as too little!

One other point about checking the oil....

I have had a few reports of dealers (not neccessarily Nissan) during service only filling up the oil to the "min" mark. Seems it saves them money!!! :scare:

Worth checking even after you get it back from your agent...

JohnK