Bloody noise from under bonnet

Bluffy

The other day i noticed a strange sound coming from the front when I was crawling along in 2nd gear. Strange sound never noticed it before, hard to described sort of a whearing sound (if thats a word) definately something going round. Doesnt do it in idle. Looked under bonnet and thought it may be the belts on the engine???

Anyway today its alot worse, sounds fcking terrible, only really notice it when setting off and driving in 2nd at slowish speeds.

Also noticed that the oil pressure gauge does not move around alot, doesnt really go above the 1st 1/4 mark... even when proper giving it some.. Im sure before it went up a down like a prossies skirt.

Checked oil other day and it was ok..

Any ideas?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience

Dealer straightaway, your oil pump may not be functioning correctly and you DO NOT want that, I can assure you.

It may not be that but anyway if your oil pressure does not rise to somewhere near 60 when you are running at 70mph, you have a problem. DO NOT TRY TO RUN AT 70 TO TEST THIS BEFORE YOU GET TO A DEALER

From the manual

Dealer straightaway, your oil pump may not be functioning correctly and you DO NOT want that, I can assure you.

It may not be that but anyway if your oil pressure does not rise to somewhere near 60 when you are running at 70mph, you have a problem. DO NOT TRY TO RUN AT 70 TO TEST THIS BEFORE YOU GET TO A DEALER

From the manual

where abouts is this in the manual? cant find it in mine.

From the manual

where abouts is this in the manual? cant find it in mine.

I think the manual is USDM cos it mentions putting the lever into the Park position :thumbs:

Guest prescience

Good, it took me a while to track it down

Note the solution for one guy is related to intake solenoids, why don't you PM both the first and last posters on that thread - I am sure they will help :)

Bluffy

Above all else DON'T DRIVE IT. Not until you have tracked down the problem. The oil pressure guage is there for a reason. To tell us if there 'aint no pressure and in your case THERE 'AINT.

In a GTO this would be caused by a spun bearing (Caused by one of several reasons probably not appropriate to this board) and those that stopped driving ASAP saved a sh*t load of cash over those that 'ostriched' it and hoped it would go away - IT WONT!!

I hope it isnt serious but dont risk it until you know!

Cant stress the dont drive it advice enough mate

Ming the concerned

higher guys, checked the oil, topped up, noise gone, oil pressure back to normal. Shall be booking car in for a full oil change asap.

Just wondered how much oil you would expect a brand new car to use in 3months done 3000miles.

How low the level has to get before the oil warning light comes on.

How low the level has to be before you get any damage.

and finally how you would know there was any damage.

cheers

yes , how much did you top up?? also on a new engine they will use oil during break in period.... I think 1 litre / 1000 miles is quite normal on new engines.. I know I had a new 944 porsche once and that used more than that until it had done about 5000 miles

no if you have light you have trouble

At least the light didnt come on i guess. Had to put 3L in, holds 4.7 so not much in.

Never really checked it, took dipstick out last week and I thought it was ok, obviously not

AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................... :headhurt: