Bloody noise from under bonnet

Bluffy

Sarnie it would help if we could see the end of the dipstick properly :blush:

I am seriously worried about anyone who doesn't know how 2 check their bloody oil :thumbdown:

On the dipstick there is two markings one for min and one or max!!!!! If it's between these then your fine but may need a little top up....

Note: Car must be on level ground with engine cold :)

P.s bunch of dipsticks :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right guys, this thread has scared the @*!# out of me :scare:

Just gone to check my oil, and firstly what a pain in the arse that is :thumbdown:

Does this reading look ok?

:blush:

Caroil004.jpg

Turn the dip stick over and you'll see the marking just below these two little kinks. The kinks themselves aren't the max/min level.

Just gone to check my oil, and firstly what a pain in the arse that is :thumbdown:

Caroil004.jpg

Turn the dip stick over and you'll see the marking just below these two little kinks. The kinks themselves aren't the max/min level.

ROLMFAO :lol:

Caroil004.jpg

The is the first time I ever checked the oil on any car :scare: My old man usually does this kinda thing for me when he comes over at weekends :teeth:

I thought the two kinks were the minimum and maximum lines :surrender:

Liam's Z: Why do you need to see the end of the dipstick?

Off out to try again...................

PS The car is level and cold :)

Caroil004.jpg

ROLMFAO ?

Don't you mean ROFLMFAO?

Rookie mistake! Obviously never checked his oil! I think we should call on the mods to demote Sarnie as the title he has just now implies some intelligence.

Caroil004.jpg

The is the first time I ever checked the oil on any car :scare: My old man usually does this kinda thing for me when he comes over at weekends :teeth:

Sarnie you made same mistake as me. i also thought that the two kinks were the min and max.

and agree what a pain in the ass to get the dipstick out and in.

Caroil004.jpg

ROLMFAO ?

the title he has just now implies some intelligence.

**** off :thumbdown:

Caroil004.jpg

Sarnie you made same mistake as me. i also thought that the two kinks were the min and max.

and agree what a pain in the ass to get the dipstick out and in.

Practice makes Perfect :lol::lol::lol:

Guest prescience

I do about 5 checks in one go and usually 4 agree. The odd one smears up the disptick as sarnie's has done but it is the graded section on the other side as stated you need to read. It is quite a bit more difficult to check with a supercharger in the way too ;)

The more you do it, the easier it becomes

what oil should I buy? I topped up with Castrol GTX magnatec 5-30.

Booked in for oil change. Dealer wanting to put 10-40 in and charge £69.

So thinking of taking my own oil.

Most of us tend to use either the Silkolene Pro 5S stuff or the Motul fully synthetic. Also some people now using the Amsoil stuff.

Both available through our partners Opie Oils or Amsoil....... there are loads of post on here about it. Get a good search going man :thumbs:

Heres a FAQ : http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54

what oil should I buy? I topped up with Castrol GTX magnatec 5-30.

Booked in for oil change. Dealer wanting to put 10-40 in and charge £69.

So thinking of taking my own oil.

Bargin I'm sure! You can get a good oil for that money and still have change.

If you get a mineral oil get a 40 weight ie 10w-40, you will need the thicker oil to get the protection. If you are getting a quality synthetic get a 30 weight like a 5w-30 or even a 0w-30. Why a 30 weight? because being a synthetic it will be stronger than the 40 weight mineral oil, being thinner it will have less 'pumping losses and therefore run cooler and with a bit more power and a few more MPG. Not only all of this but is will last longer. All these savings with a full synthetic make a mineral oil expensive by comparison! The only downside is the initial cost.

IMHO there is little point in putting a 40 weight synthetic in the Z as you won't be taking advantage of the superior oil.

Check these people out:-

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/

& http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_l ... motul.aspx

Well had my oil changed yesterday. Took in Castrol GTX Magnatec 5-30. Cost £20 for oil and £49 for the grease monkeys to change it and replace filter.

In the back of my mind I wondered if they actually used my oil, or put their cheap 10-40 in and kept mine..the bottle was 4.5L so wasnt any left. anyway of telling?

Well had my oil changed yesterday. Took in Castrol GTX Magnatec 5-30. Cost £20 for oil and £49 for the grease monkeys to change it and replace filter.

In the back of my mind I wondered if they actually used my oil, or put their cheap 10-40 in and kept mine..the bottle was 4.5L so wasnt any left. anyway of telling?

not without a chemical analysis :teeth: Dont be so cynical of course they put your oil in ;)

not without a chemical analysis :teeth: Dont be so cynical of course they put your oil in ;)

Lomoto is absolutely correct.

..... but, the poor mans version. Take a sample of your oil and some fresh magnatec. Place the samples in some narrow glass phials (or test tubes). Stick them in the deep freeze overnight.

Once chilled the fully synth oil should still flow readily (your sample and the fresh magnatec should flow at similar speed). Cheap mineral oil should thicken significantly at sub zero temperatures and flow much slower than your "control" sample of magnatec.

but as Lomoto says, I'm sure they put your oil in.... and the above is far too much effort, unless you are paranoid.

Lomoto is absolutely correct.

..... but, the poor mans version. Take a sample of your oil and some fresh magnatec. Place the samples in some narrow glass philes (or test tubes). Stick them in the deep freeze overnight.

Once chilled the fully synth oil should still flow readily (your sample and the fresh magnatec should flow at similar speed). Cheap mineral oil should thicken significantly at sub zero temperatures and flow much slower than your "control" sample of magnatec.

but as Lomoto says, I'm sure they put your oil in.... and the above is far too much effort, unless you are paranoid.

You need to step away from the peace pipe my friend :scare: Paranoia or what :teeth::p