Advice/Help on Insuring modifications?=

alessandro

First, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but for some reason I couldn't start a new topic on the insurance section.

Now..........

In the last few month I fitted some exterior mods like front bumper, spoiler and motorised number plate( dont think mirror cover and side indicator and de badging counts) also did some interior like, CF cover and new HU and when I bought the car it came with some upgraded springs.

After reading trough a tread today I realised that I didnt declare anything on my insurance :surrender: ..

The Zed is the first car that I modifie and not sure what to expect.

I'm insured with Direct Line ( 28 years old 5 years no claim), what sort of increase will I looking at?

Should I declare small things like side inicators or mirror covers?

Up grded springs or brakes should be declared?

:headhurt:

Your insurers have reviewed the information you submitted in your proposal and have offered to provide you with cover at £x premium based on that info. Anything that changes the car (consumables aside) changes the risk (although I doubt anyone's going to get excited over a set of mats, for example) and should be disclosed. If not, your Insurers might decide that the car in it's current state is not the one they thought they were covering and decide not to cover you in the event of a claim.

AFAIK, small cosmetic changes shouldn't make any difference to the premium - but it depends on which insurer you're with.

HTH,

Alex

I was told a long time back to tell them everything. That way they cannot get out of paying. Anything that puts more value on the car even if you change your ICE. I changed the exhaust on my 200sx my premium went up £100 that's when I could get insured. A lot of companies will not touch cars that have the performance increased.

You can sometimes bundle mods together.

My current ones have already said they would count a spoiler and body kit as a single mod. And any changes to brakes as modified brakes. Just brake lines or Massive calipers and whole new setup would be not be seen as different.

You may find you can be honest but still do yourself favours (e.g. declare N1 aero dynamic kit as 1 mod as opposed to bumper,skirt,spats,spoiler). But if in doubt ask them!

Your HU may already be covered. I've had previous policies where the the blerb just covered x amount of in car entertainment.

Also check the mods are actually covered... admirals standard policy for example does not cover the repair of the modification.

you need to tell them everything buddy as anything not as standard and they'l prob try and get out of paying if a claim is placed!!! companies like direct line admiral etc will normally sting you quite bad for the smallest of mod's as they dont specilise in modified cars, your best trying to get with a company like Aplan, sky or chris knott as these specilise in modified cars, im covered with Aplan and it cost me another £30 quid over what admiral wanted for the car as standard and i have a massive mod list :thumbs: