Exhaust system quality

Animal

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been done to death, but is there such a thing as a poorly-made system nowadays? I'm trying to decide whether or not I need a new exhaust and which one to go for. Fortunately, after using the reliable medium that is YouTube, I've narrowed it down to either a Nismo, 5Zigen ProRacer SP or HKS True Dual - easy peasy!

However, I was wondering if there was a real difference in build quality and actual performance between comparable systems? Is one manufacturer regarded as better than the rest? Is one worst?

Best,

Alex :wave:

They are all quality systems so I doubt you'd have issues with any of them.

I think the grade of material and quality of welds can vary greatly and without getting into a name / fake / baller / etc etc war I will say that sometimes in life you get what you pay for.

of the 3 you have chosen my fave is the HKS

However I hope you have deep pockets!

HKS is north of £1500 as is the 5Zigen

Nismo cant be far off £1200

Problem is the Yen at present against the pound, although the HKS is US only and just expensive.

Slightly cheaper options that sound good are the Tanabe Concept G at £800 and the ApexI

Buddy Club is a great exhaust for £650 really well made, but may be a bit loud. However if you dont have HiFlow Cats it would be okay

Good luck finding something, it is the biggest and hardest choice in my opinion.

Thanks for the input! Whilst I don't want something that's so loud it'll become tiresome to drive (although I mostly drive the same 18-mile round-trip every day), I do want something that sounds more aggressive than the std. system.

I think I'm leaning towards the HKS True Dual if I can get a good deal: am I right in thinking that I'd get better power gains from a TD exhaust than with a single pipe?

Thanks,

Alex

As everyone on here will say, it is all down to personal choice and how much you want to spend.

If you have the cash to throw at a HKS system then they are great bits of kit, definitely by far my fave and to me the nicest sounding exhaust for the car. When you add HFC's to it the sound is amazing, but then you are getting on to over £2k for an exhaust system. I beleive Abbey Motorsport can get you a good price on these as they are a UK main dealer, so give Mark a call. A couple of members have also used Sumo for these

If you are not all that much into modding and just want a nicer growl, then you cant go much wrong with a scorpion, give CS a call for that.

If it is power gains you are after then whatever you get then you will need an UPRev from Abbey Motorsport or somewhere similar to see any gains.

I would also suggest the Motordyne Shockwave, that comes with an XYZ pipe, an amazing looking and sounding exhaust that with the right tune is giving good result according to Abbey, again give them a call for this, mrsteve has one so search for sound clips and pics.

On the subject of TD and Y or XYZ, I dont think there is much difference, although I am sure someone with a TD will be on to disagree.........rtbiscuit......

As everyone on here will say, it is all down to personal choice and how much you want to spend.

If you have the cash to throw at a HKS system then they are great bits of kit, definitely by far my fave and to me the nicest sounding exhaust for the car. When you add HFC's to it the sound is amazing, but then you are getting on to over £2k for an exhaust system. I beleive Abbey Motorsport can get you a good price on these as they are a UK main dealer, so give Mark a call. A couple of members have also used Sumo for these

If you are not all that much into modding and just want a nicer growl, then you cant go much wrong with a scorpion, give CS a call for that.

If it is power gains you are after then whatever you get then you will need an UPRev from Abbey Motorsport or somewhere similar to see any gains.

I would also suggest the Motordyne Shockwave, that comes with an XYZ pipe, an amazing looking and sounding exhaust that with the right tune is giving good result according to Abbey, again give them a call for this, mrsteve has one so search for sound clips and pics.

On the subject of TD and Y or XYZ, I dont think there is much difference, although I am sure someone with a TD will be on to disagree.........rtbiscuit......

Steve is Mr Lizard on here :thumbs:

Sorry Ian, I don't follow. Is Steve/Mr Lizard a HKS stockist too?!

Nope Steve has the Motordyne Shockwave on his car...there was a thread about the exhaust with pics and a video recently do a search for "shockwave" and you should find it :thumbs:

TBH if I had the cash id lump for the HKS everytime....it sounds loooovely! :cloud9:

Pretty sure the HKS will only fit JDM cars (Jap imports), am I right in thinking yours is a UK GT Alex?

I have a HKS clone and its pretty much an exact replica (size and shape wise anyway, but I wont go into that..) and it will only fit JDM cars (tried on a UK and JDM) due to the UK cars having cooling fins on the LSD.

Pretty sure the HKS will only fit JDM cars (Jap imports), am I right in thinking yours is a UK GT Alex?

I have a HKS clone and its pretty much an exact replica (size and shape wise anyway, but I wont go into that..) and it will only fit JDM cars (tried on a UK and JDM) due to the UK cars having cooling fins on the LSD.

I have heard similar Ian, it is actually a US specific exhaust system.

However I have seen 2 members, I think both on here, that have got these systems from Sumo Power and had them fitted. I did enquire about one of these through Mark at Abbey and he said he wasnt sure if they would fit though.

So mixed thoughts, so research ie required me thinks before you part with the cash.

Still dont need to spend that sort of money though if you want to go true dual, Invidia are good as biscuit says. I would even be tempted to go and get a custom exhaust from somewhere. Maybe even Magnaflow?

Yes, it's a '54 plate UK GT. It would be a shame if it didn't fit because I really like the sound of the HKS, although I'm worried it might be a bit too loud for every day (I want to keep something that's quieter than my previous car, an Impreza WRX). How would the 5Zigen compare in terms of volume?

Also, I think I've discounted the Nismo - just doesn't sound aggressive enough nor does it sound that different from standard. I definitely need to get to a meet! :wacko:

Nismo will sound great if you get HFC

If not the 5Zigen with Standard Cats would be more aggresive. I think they are around £1100 for the Z-Spec and £1600 for the SP

DC used to do a TD exhaust that sounded great, not sure if they still do

US cars are the same as JDM cars in respect to the diff housing having no fins on it, I'm sure I read that somebody fitted a HKS copy to a UK car but had to modify (ie cut off) some fins.

If you want something more agressive than the nismo get a Japspeed K1 with Japspeed Y pipe :wacko:

I have heard similar Ian, it is actually a US specific exhaust system.

However I have seen 2 members, I think both on here, that have got these systems from Sumo Power and had them fitted. I did enquire about one of these through Mark at Abbey and he said he wasnt sure if they would fit though.

I emailed HKS Europe on Thurs and got a reply back today: apparently the True Dual (part no. 32009-AN002) will fit a UK car; it seems as though there is a similar part for USDM cars (part no. 32009-BN001) that will not fit UK cars without modification.

Problem is that after all that I'm concerned that the HKS system is going to be too loud for me in everyday use (87db vs 80db for a std car). The 5Zigen ProRacer SP is Jasma-compliant at 92db. What an old woman! :shrug:

Nismo............. :teeth:

Funnily enough that's the only one mentioned that I can think has failed on more than one members car.

Really? Was there a common cause? I'd have thought that the Nismo build quality would have been at least equal to the others.

glens said most of what i would have said :lol:

as for TD vs Y vs XYZ its all very close, when playing around with NA on this car there isn't alot to be had.

i can recommend the invidia but as yet i don't know what its total outcome will be as its not going on the dyno till friday. i would say the new g300 version is better than my g200 as it uses an x pipe to scavenge between the pipes.

go with what you like

db are the b all and end all, its tone and resonance, you don't want something that booms in the cabin, you can have loud without boomy.

i had a custom built hayward and scott system on my old mr2 and with a TRD manifold it was about 105 db and was awesome, but crucially i didn't get any cabin boom. it was just loud :teeth:

get to a meet and try them out, see what you like. just remember the exhausts sounds different once under load. ;)

Thanks Biscuit, I'll just use that as an excuse to blag some rides! As far as power goes, I don't particularly need any more so just the noise thanks! Still like the bark from the HKS, just need to get my head around the price... Still got no idea how much installation will cost either, but I'm guessing £150 or so?

it might be worth noting that all the clips you are watching on youtube of the HKS are clips of it with High Flow Cats or De Cats fitted and some with headers too. So this will makes things twice as loud. at 87dbs I wouldnt have thought it would be too noisy. It is when you get to 95dbs that it is loud loud, I think mine is 95db!!(Buddy Club)

If it is only noise you are after then I can think of exhausts that sound nice, where you dont have to spend the sort of money the HKS is. The Scorpion sounds great at a quarter of the price and is not loud and the Tanabe Concept G is a great sounding twin pipe system for only £800.

I saw that SRP are doing the Buddy Club for £530 at the moment on special, which is £150 off the list price