Recommend me some gear

srobrien

Also power caps or capacitors are usless stay away from them they will hinder your performance nothing else.

:scare:

They help the amp if the battery aint good enough for short quick burts when they amp might need more power then's there so not sure what you're on about. Explain how you see it hindering performance??? :wacko: I consider you'll need it if you'll go for a high power and don't want the AMP to cut out when you turn on your favorite song and let it rip, its a serious pain when you have the wattage there but not the 'ampage', I'd see it as fuel injectors... and you're going for a TT setup. :teeth::lol:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Audio-Cap ... m&id=74789

There have been lots of discussions about these on audio forums, to a VERY technical level talking about the speed of electrons etc etc. The summary from the science is that if your alternator/battery is not up to powering the amp, its no more up to the job of charging the cap.

Also power caps or capacitors are usless stay away from them they will hinder your performance nothing else.

:scare:

They help the amp if the battery aint good enough for short quick burts when they amp might need more power then's there so not sure what you're on about. Explain how you see it hindering performance??? :wacko: I consider you'll need it if you'll go for a high power and don't want the AMP to cut out when you turn on your favorite song and let it rip, its a serious pain when you have the wattage there but not the 'ampage', I'd see it as fuel injectors... and you're going for a TT setup. :teeth::lol:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Audio-Cap ... m&id=74789

There have been lots of discussions about these on audio forums, to a VERY technical level talking about the speed of electrons etc etc. The summary from the science is that if your alternator/battery is not up to powering the amp, its no more up to the job of charging the cap.

indeed , there is a reason why top spl cars have tonnes of batteries , huge or even multiple alternaters and no caps !

I thought the idea of the cap was that it get's charged by the alternator and as such the alternator doesn't need to be able to provide the power instantly to re-charge the powercap, it just needs to be able to charge it and the powercap takes the hit basically and then slowly recharges. Obviously if this is the case it's only useful for odd big bass beats, not constant otherwise the powercap will just be dead and the problem will be passed back down the chain again

:scare: When did I say that a capacitator replaces more battery or bigger alternator?! Its only there to help the amp if the amp suddenly need more power then battery/alternator can deliver that's all. and it does take time for the capacitator to reload it self as Ian stated. Obviously it cannot replace XXX amount of batteries and larger alternator but maybe not everyone want to drive around with power plant in the car? :bang: Everyone to their own but I'm of the opinion that you MIGHT need it depending on your music style and what type of level of audio you're going for. Please correct me with some hard facts. It's there to help the amp get power quickly... not drive the system...

:scare: When did I say that a capacitator replaces more battery or bigger alternator?! Its only there to help the amp if the amp suddenly need more power then battery/alternator can deliver that's all. and it does take time for the capacitator to reload it self as Ian stated. Obviously it cannot replace XXX amount of batteries and larger alternator but maybe not everyone want to drive around with power plant in the car? :bang: Everyone to their own but I'm of the opinion that you MIGHT need it depending on your music style and what type of level of audio you're going for. Please correct me with some hard facts. It's there to help the amp get power quickly... not drive the system...

They dont work simples. No one with a half decent install who knows what they doing uses one. Join Talk Audio and ask them they will give you a in depth answer. I ran my last system with 2000w RMS with no caps.

They dont work simples. No one with a half decent install who knows what they doing uses one. Join Talk Audio and ask them they will give you a in depth answer. I ran my last system with 2000w RMS with no caps.

To be fair you obviously know your stuff but the OP just wants to know what to spend a few hundred quid on which speakers sub and amp, I'm interested too as I have the same HU and although the Bose sounds ok with it (better than I thought) if it's not too expensive and difficult to improve I'm tempted.

They don't work simples? Better join that place and see what they state about using one or not :yawn:

(spent 1 hour reading more or less the same statement 'door stopper' etc etc... but no good answer to why they would not work. Either way I'm not going to block this thread anymore with this, might start a new thread though...

:thumbs:

think we should get back on topic here and help him out.

if it was my cash ..

about £100+-30 on a nice set of fronts and bin the rears (already got them faded right down) make not so important infinity , dls , rainbow ,focal , alpine etc make sure you demo them on some tunes you know as they all vary .

amp id go 4 chan and aim for about 400w total £200 maybe less

sub this is going to depend on what amp you picked and where you intend to put it , me if i was buying now id go 10" rated for 300wrms to give myself some headroom , again known brands and look for the volume needed for sealed running (see end of post for box ideas) but i wouldnt spend more than £100 as youl just be buying more power handling.

rest is going on the amp wireing kit , make not really important just make sure its rated for more than your pulling (check the rms value as many go for huge headline number like amps do by showing peak figures)

box , thisis a tough question as anything looking remotly good is either expensive or works out that way after its come form the states.

if your ok pulling the car aprt (which your going to pretty much have to inorder to wire up the new comps) then id take the bose plate out and grab the drawings off one the guys on here thats made box for the bose spot and as long as its not too under sized youl be fine wiht some wadding.

or if your feeling creative and ok at diy have a go at making your own fiberglass box. it will cost you about £50 and a weekend maybe too if your first attempt goes pete tong (youl have enough supplies for at least 3 boxes )

actually having looked more at amps its abit of a no mans land £200 nothing rally out there to justify the extra id get this lot ....

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jl-audio-10w0v2.html

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto1004.html

comps youd ahve to demo them but like these (good power handling and small/light weight design)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-liteair-6.html

or maybe these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow-slx265.html again demo pending !

/end huugge post

They don't work simples? Better join that place and see what they state about using one or not :yawn:

(spent 1 hour reading more or less the same statement 'door stopper' etc etc... but no good answer to why they would not work. Either way I'm not going to block this thread anymore with this, might start a new thread though...

Basically, time the battery takes to give something power is 5-10ms. A cap is faster near enough zero responce time. They dont work as supposidly they give you fast power for when the bass drops but it doesnt happen like that. Most people fit them to stop their lights dimming. They do stop the lights dimming because the the cap is always trying to recharge itself. The lights just stay dim rather than light then dim.

As for faster responce time they dont work for that either. They dont provide anywere enough power to do anything. Then even if they do do anything they will cause a V droop because the cap has to replensh itself. You cant take power from somewhere in a link with out replacing it. Whislt the power cap is recharging its taking power away from the amps. The only proven cap that works is the BATCAP. Most people dont run caps but bigger alts or more batteries.

Basically, time the battery takes to give something power is 5-10ms. A cap is faster near enough zero responce time. They dont work as supposidly they give you fast power for when the bass drops but it doesnt happen like that. Most people fit them to stop their lights dimming. They do stop the lights dimming because the the cap is always trying to recharge itself. The lights just stay dim rather than light then dim.

As for faster responce time they dont work for that either. They dont provide anywere enough power to do anything. Then even if they do do anything they will cause a V droop because the cap has to replensh itself. You cant take power from somewhere in a link with out replacing it. Whislt the power cap is recharging its taking power away from the amps. The only proven cap that works is the BATCAP. Most people dont run caps but bigger alts or more batteries.

well put , they aint cheap either best of just get a proper ice battery !

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Talk Audio, I'd recommend lurking on there and keeping an eye on the for sale section. Some really nice kit turns up there at great prices. I bought nearly all of my set up from the classified ads on there and saved an absolute fortune. As they're all audio enthusiasts they're constantly trying out new kit so you often get barely used expensive kit on there at a fraction of the new price. They have a feedback system on their forum too so you can easily see who is trustworthy. :thumbs:

I don't think getting a decent pair of component speakers, a 4 channel amp and a sub for less than £500 is unrealistic if you follow that route.

oh easily , car audio has got to be one of the best things to buy used. as long as you have a rough idea about the stuff your looking at you can get some really good kit for elo cheapo brand money or little more.

now looking for a niew 10" dvc sub .

I offered someone my Alpine d310rb, Audiobahn A2200HCT & kicker L7 12'' for £600, i thought that was very good price wise,especially as the sub got used for 4 months & the place i found the amp on still charge £629.99 for it :scare:

On the talk audio forum front i found them very ignorant.I went on as a newb,asked what sorta things they give thumbs up too within the price range i had.Over a week i got a big fat 0 replies

I offered someone my Alpine d310rb, Audiobahn A2200HCT & kicker L7 12'' for £600, i thought that was very good price wise,especially as the sub got used for 4 months & the place i found the amp on still charge £629.99 for it :scare:

On the talk audio forum front i found them very ignorant.I went on as a newb,asked what sorta things they give thumbs up too within the price range i had.Over a week i got a big fat 0 replies

You have to remember on that forum that most people ask them questions. They expect you to read up before posting if you know what I mean.

I still think they got their heads up there own arses :lol: i put in my thread i was looking at a certain few subs,what they would be powered by etc so its not like i expected them to list me this that and the other ;)

Imagine how many noobs on here wouldnt get an answer to something thats in the search part a thousand times over if we thought someones just a slack arse :lol:

You have to remember on that forum that most people ask them questions. They expect you to read up before posting if you know what I mean.

Hows that differ from any other forum?

How many people do you think have come on here and asked about MPG, popchargers, ipod connectivity, brake pads etc etc.....

Search is great but a lot of people find it difficult to get results. People on this forum ansewr the same questions over and over because generally they are decent.

just had a quick scan of this :) im not an audio nut but i just thought i'd put in that alternators are all rated as to how many amps they can provide. if you are drawing too much current a better battery will not help, it will still steadily drain away as the alternator cant cope with the load and reaches its "limit". uprate the alternator or properly spec your components within the capabilities of the vehicle :)

Hows that differ from any other forum?

How many people do you think have come on here and asked about MPG, popchargers, ipod connectivity, brake pads etc etc.....

Search is great but a lot of people find it difficult to get results. People on this forum ansewr the same questions over and over because generally they are decent.

Because they are a little snootier and the forum is busier they just wont reply. Atleast here you will still get xx next time use search. They do have alot of people coming on thinking they know it all cos they own vibe or people who want to do no research. I think because this forum is smaller (altough still growing :yahoo: ) and is fairly niche its users are fairly freindly and accomodating and each thread gets a few replies.