Recommend me some gear

srobrien

Right I may be replacing the shitty bose in the summer but TBH I know naff all about ICE, I should really as I am such a music lover but I don't.

I don't want to spend a fortune, I want some decent gear that will last but won't break the bank.

I'm after:

- Front components

- Rear speakers

- Amp

- Sub

Another thing is I want it all to live where the original stuff did with as little modifications as possible, and no sub boxes as there is no usable space in there as it is.

Anyone got any ideas?

BTW I listen to mainly heavy rock music

R

Right I may be replacing the shitty bose in the summer but TBH I know naff all about ICE, I should really as I am such a music lover but I don't.

I don't want to spend a fortune, I want some decent gear that will last but won't break the bank.

I'm after:

- Front components

- Rear speakers

- Amp

- Sub

Another thing is I want it all to live where the original stuff did with as little modifications as possible, and no sub boxes as there is no usable space in there as it is.

Anyone got any ideas?

BTW I listen to mainly heavy rock music

R

Thinking on something like that too - the front combo, will be using a windows box instead I think. Was looking at maybe ignoring the rear sub and build something under the strut bar with something like this:

13TW5_2.jpg

And using the spare space for two amps and some capacitors (you'll need it for the quick bass sound sometimes if the battery cant keep up)

Would you use any dynamat stuff to insulate the car first? Will you be doing this yourself? You might want to get rid of all the factory cables if you do...

Was thinking on something like this too just put it under the passenger seat and driver seat.... sorted ;)

912_big.jpg

(not sure what type of sound these give you)

Only 70mm high though :scare:

Element: 8" Aluminium

Kontinuerlig effekt: 200Watt

Frekvensomfång: 25-120Hz

MÃ¥tt (hxbxd):: 215x319x70mm

Vikt: 4,3kg

well first off the big B for budget how much have you got to/want to spend and do you alreayd have a new head unit as that will can eat up lot of cash if you want all the bells and wistles or be qute cheap and still get the job done well.

if you dont have a headunit already , what do you want/need form it and doubel or single din.

usb , probably thse days , bluetooth if you own a phone then yes, sat nav ???

single vs double tbh the double looks way neater than any facia plates imho and doenst need to cost that much more.

dont want a huge box in your boot , that basically limits you to eith bin your spare wheel or pull apart the entire rear interior and get the bose plate out but either way its gonna have to be a custom box.

so when your done wiht that lot post up and we can get started :)

well first off the big B for budget how much have you got to/want to spend and do you alreayd have a new head unit as that will can eat up lot of cash if you want all the bells and wistles or be qute cheap and still get the job done well.

if you dont have a headunit already , what do you want/need form it and doubel or single din.

single vs double tbh the double looks way neater than any facia plates imho and doenst need to cost that much more.

dont want a huge box in your boot , that basically limits you to eith bin your spare wheel or pull apart the entire rear interior and get the bose plate out but either way its gonna have to be a custom box.

:lol: hope you didnt scare him now...

B)

B)

Guys....you forgotten already that srobrien was the one who wrote the guide on how to install a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT?

Get some thin front component speakers, i recommend the focal range, they have several different models to suit budget ranging for £150-400. Forget the rear speaker as you dont really need them, a car isnt a best sound stage but and you should only have mid and bass coming from behind. This will also free some budget up. You can get some fairly nice decent quality amps that can fit in the glove box behind the passenger seat, sky is the limit for cost but a four channel will probably set you back in the region of £200-500. For the sub you can get a free air type that can replace the bose one behind the drivers seat or just get a box that fits between the boots under the rear beam. These boxes are often on ebay from the states around £150 and can take either 1 x 10", 2 x 10" or 1 x 12". Only downside is the box capacity is fairly small so you would need to shop around for a sub/s that would be suitable. I ran this setup with 2 x 10" JL subs which were ordered in from the states by my local audio place and they were about £170 each. Also add the costs of a amp wiring kit to the list about £30 and to do it properly replace the speaker wire to the front speakers with something decent probably around £15.

B)

Guys....you forgotten already that srobrien was the one who wrote the guide on how to install a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT?

yep !

well thats one thing off the list , but i guess i should have rad the list of needs better too :bang:

bascially set budget , wait for replys on recommended stuff then go try and find somewher to listen to it and buy what you like best .

Cheers for the input lads, yeah the Headunit is covered and after spending £800 on it i feel i need some appliances to do it justice. Budget wise I don't want to go overboard as I have some big commitments this year but i recon £400-500 maxish.

R

Ross ive got that custom box i had made up & doubt ill ever get a sub for it as mines too big. Amp wise IF i ever manage to get anything ill be going with the rockford fosgate 400.4,thatl happily power some comps & a sub.Again my choice of sub is a rockford shallow mount as they still put out a decent power figure :thumbs:

one word

rainbow speakers

well ok that was 2, but they are bloody good. at least for the crossovers in the door thewy are defo worth it. can get one of there models for about £150 for fronts and tweeters

:dummy: 800 for the headunit! :scare:

Yeah, but they have come down in price since.

Latest online price I've seen is around the £550 mark.

But it does do virtually everything you'd want from a car entertainment system.

thats a bout double what I'd pay for a headunit, better off with a pc install then IMO

thats a bout double what I'd pay for a headunit, better off with a pc install then IMO

Yeah your probably right but at the time I just wanted a plug and play unit with everything I needed and no fuss which I got with the pioneer, plus you know the sound out of it will be spot on and it gives you all the connections you need.

Still love the HU, best purchase I have made for the zed so far.

Will look into the rainbows, do you need spacers to fit these in the doors?

R

Yeah your probably right but at the time I just wanted a plug and play unit with everything I needed and no fuss which I got with the pioneer, plus you know the sound out of it will be spot on and it gives you all the connections you need.

Still love the HU, best purchase I have made for the zed so far.

Will look into the rainbows, do you need spacers to fit these in the doors?

R

sell it and have it pay for lots of goodies :teeth: j/k might be better off with a good headunit... let me know what route you go down!

If your going to amp the speakers then go for good ones if not its not really worth it. Also most 100pound plus speakers are all good.

Rainbows are not better than focals which are no better than PG's or anything else. They will all have different sounds. Focals tend to be clearer and rainbows warmer. But not always.

Also power caps or capacitors are usless stay away from them they will hinder your performance nothing else.

For cables check out knuconcepts they do the best wiring.

Also does your headunit support IMPRINT? if so it may be worth getting that.

Also power caps or capacitors are usless stay away from them they will hinder your performance nothing else.

:scare:

They help the amp if the battery aint good enough for short quick burts when they amp might need more power then's there so not sure what you're on about. Explain how you see it hindering performance??? :wacko: I consider you'll need it if you'll go for a high power and don't want the AMP to cut out when you turn on your favorite song and let it rip, its a serious pain when you have the wattage there but not the 'ampage', I'd see it as fuel injectors... and you're going for a TT setup. :teeth::lol:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Car-Audio-Cap ... m&id=74789