Whine noise

Chris s

Still no progress on this annoying noise... it's such a shame as I love the car otherwise! My commute to work takes me onto an A road pretty much immeadiately where I will be doing 60ish with a cold engine... so my day starts with this whine every day! It's definitiely linked to the transmission as it disappears when I depress the clutch.... Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm also very limited with what I can demonstrate to a garage, becuase the noise goes away when the car is warm, therefore when I get it to the garage it's quietened down.

I'm also very limited with what I can demonstrate to a garage, becuase the noise goes away when the car is warm, therefore when I get it to the garage it's quietened down.

Try taking a video recording of the noice if u have a mobile phone. Just my 2pence ;):thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect (spelling?) this post again, but the whining continues.... I was thinking that it may not be the LSD playing up because presumably interanls of the LSD will be moving exactly the same with or with out the clutch being depressed.... am I right??

Has anyone else suffered this whining noise when cold and travelling upto about 60mph, not gear dependant?

• 2 months later...

Hi again - this whining / whistling sound is still a loud as it has ever been. I've been doing some searching on the various forums and I think it could be down to the Pilot Bushing, either being too tight or showing signed of wear...

The noise I hear disappears once I depress the clutch.... does this seem to be in line with the possible pilot bushing diagnosis???

• 7 months later...

I get an audible whine when the car is under load doing anything 70mph+ which can be a bit annoying on the motorway, come off the throttle and it stops. I've presumed it's transmission related but never been too concerned about it although I'm going to get the transmission fluid changed anyway.

The whine I'm interested in, and the one most threads are on, is where it only does it when using the car from cold at around the 50 mph mark. I've seen it stated that it's an oil problem, be it transmission or diff oil, which would make a bit of sense as the noise goes away when warm. However, lots of people have changed both oils only for it to make no difference. I had my transmission oil changed with just that result. Other possibilities I've heard are throw out bearing and pilot bearing. With so many people with the same issue I'm surprised no one has managed to tie down the problem. Clearly it's not a massive issue but it's a pretty annoying one until the car/oil/whatever gets warm.

Can anyone throw any answers at this?

I feel for you mate, problems like this are a right pain.

Mines an 07 and it does whine and rattle when you first start it up - which tend to vanish as soon as you put the foot on the clutch. To me the noise my car makes sounds like the clutch thrust bearing, but from what I gather they all do that. Same as the "hard to get in 2nd gear when cold" thing, which my car also does.

I`ll try and see if mine whines when driving from cold at 50mph... its a bit hard to tell now because I cant hear anything over the K1 exhaust tho.

One thing you may have to end up doing is to leave it with the dealer over night so they can test it first thing in the morning when cold. It does seem strange that it went when they changed the diff oil, so that sort of points towards it being something connected with that.

Is the whine consistent with road speed (diff or g/box output shaft/bearing) or with engine revs (clutch). If it's consistent with road speed but goes when you de-clutch, I would've said it could only be the diff. Component temp in the diff could explain it going when it warms up as taper roller bearing tolerances change with heat which will also effect C&P lash.

First time posting on here so bear with me. I have recently bought a 350z. To say I love it is an understatement. UK model 06 with 42k. After taking it back to Ireland on its first long drive I found a whining noise while she was at idle. When I pressed the clutch the noise would go. It gradually got harder to change from 1st to 2nd. If the change was done quickly there was a clunk as if the plates were not fully open. If I left the pedal down for longer and then went to second the clung noise was gone but the revs would have dropped so much that car "jumps" as the revs go back up. Anyway I took to a mechanic a friend recommended (covered in tattoos and listening to zz top that makes him a mechanic in my book :-) ) Anyway as soon he sat in the car and felt the gears he said yep that it was an issue with a ball bearing and pin in the gear box and the pin was not "settling". Would make sense as I said early leaving the clutched pressed while changing from 1 to 2 gives less clung by allowing the pin to settle. So the price is £500 for ripping out the gear box and replacing this ball bearing and pin and if that does not work and we need a new gear box I’m scared to even think of the price but was warned in excess of £1500. The Z is back in on Monday morning for the surgery I'll keep you all posted. Sad times Sad sad times.

First time posting on here so bear with me. I have recently bought a 350z. To say I love it is an understatement. UK model 06 with 42k. After taking it back to Ireland on its first long drive I found a whining noise while she was at idle. When I pressed the clutch the noise would go. It gradually got harder to change from 1st to 2nd. If the change was done quickly there was a clunk as if the plates were not fully open. If I left the pedal down for longer and then went to second the clung noise was gone but the revs would have dropped so much that car "jumps" as the revs go back up. Anyway I took to a mechanic a friend recommended (covered in tattoos and listening to zz top that makes him a mechanic in my book :-) ) Anyway as soon he sat in the car and felt the gears he said yep that it was an issue with a ball bearing and pin in the gear box and the pin was not "settling". Would make sense as I said early leaving the clutched pressed while changing from 1 to 2 gives less clung by allowing the pin to settle. So the price is £500 for ripping out the gear box and replacing this ball bearing and pin and if that does not work and we need a new gear box I’m scared to even think of the price but was warned in excess of £1500. The Z is back in on Monday morning for the surgery I'll keep you all posted. Sad times Sad sad times.

I'd get a second opinion on that if I were you! Seriously!

Well many thanks to the fantastic members of the forum for their suggestions. I found a video with the exact noise I am experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-23yK8Cxzc

I am sure this noise was not there when I purchased the car and has become worse since purchasing. Also the issue of the gear change getting clungier from 1 to 2 has gone hand in hand with the noise issue.

Anyway thanks to the superb advise from ZMANALEX (an absolute Gent) I rang Abbey on Friday and dropping the car in on Wednesday morning. So fingers crossed they can tell me what’s up. From looking on you tube and forums maybe a throw out bearing or input shaft bearing.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated in case anyone else has the same issue.

• 1 month later...

Any update on this? Looks like I might have an input shaft bearing problem :thumbdown:

Can't listen to the YouTube vids at the moment but will check them out later. Hoping that the three month warranty will cover it but I've been warned that warranties don't fix 'noises'.

As lovely as I'm sure ZManAlex is I'm hoping I won't have to send him a PM this soon after buying my Zed! :lol:

S.