Whine noise

Chris s

I've recently just got my 06 z from it's P3 service at Benfield Newcastle, where I asked them to identify a whining noise heard when it's cold... I was hopeful that it they would have cured the cause, but they claimed nothing was wrong and could not fix it. However, when I picked it up the noise was noticeable louder (obviously not pleased!). I've now managed to narrow down the cause to the transmission as the whine only goes away when I take it out of gear and cruise .... so now I'm hoping someone on hear can help me out before I have to cough up the cash for the stealers to find the cause as it's driving me :bang:

My first check would be gearbox oil level... whilst at it drain it out and see if it looks clean, any metalic particles etc and refill to the level plug with fresh clean oil. Worth a check at this stage... before getting inside the gearbox. Good luck and I hope its nothing too serious or expensive. :headhurt:

it's actually quite loud now, so much so that I can hear it echoing off walls and buildings when I drive by with the window open, I had wondered if it could ahve been a piece of trim removed when changing the engine oil???

Thanks for the responses so far...

I can't say for sure but it does seem to be coming from that area, and I was pretty sure it was the diff until I disengaged the gears today and the sounds disappeared ... hence my thinking it is related to the transmission now

(not sure what the Stillen comment is about)

An update on my whining noise!!

Taken my Z to a local independant dealer for an oil change in both the LSD and Gearbox.... not good news! He showed me the oil taken from each part and the oil from the gearbox looked as good as new... BUT... the oil from the diff was jet black and he said there was quite a lot of metal filings in the oil / diff! Basically he's advised me to get in touch with my dealer and eventually Nissan UK to seek some goodwill contribution towards a new Diff... ARSE!

Does anyone have any thoughts / advice on this?

Thanks

(not sure what the Stillen comment is about)

An update on my whining noise!!

Taken my Z to a local independant dealer for an oil change in both the LSD and Gearbox.... not good news! He showed me the oil taken from each part and the oil from the gearbox looked as good as new... BUT... the oil from the diff was jet black and he said there was quite a lot of metal filings in the oil / diff! Basically he's advised me to get in touch with my dealer and eventually Nissan UK to seek some goodwill contribution towards a new Diff... ARSE!

Does anyone have any thoughts / advice on this?

Thanks

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Unusual for the diffs to be troublesome.

The diff oil has probably never been changed from day one so you can expect some metal filings in the oil.

Not trying to turn this into a crisis but do I hope that the independant has put the correct oil in both the gearbox and the diff. as this is critical.

Is your car a U.K car with the viscous LSD or a JDM without?

If you are unlucky and you find that you do in fact require a U.K or JDM diff or a gearbox then I have all available at extremely reasonable prices.

Give me a shout if I can help you further.

Alex.

Hi - cheers for your comments mate!

I was assured that the independant garage ordered Nissan oils for the gearbox and diff. I think you maybe right with the oil never have been changed, but the P3 service seems to imply that the oil should have been changed?!?

I do have the viscous LSD (I think), as it's an 06 UK model

However, the oil was totally block and the noise coming from the region of the Diff does sound terrible, so I can only put 2 + 2 together?

I'm pursuing some goodwill with Nissan at the moment, given as it has FDSH and only 16,400 miles on the clock, but if that fails what sort of prices are you offering on a diff?

Hi - cheers for your comments mate!

I was assured that the independant garage ordered Nissan oils for the gearbox and diff. I think you maybe right with the oil never have been changed, but the P3 service seems to imply that the oil should have been changed?!?

I do have the viscous LSD (I think), as it's an 06 UK model

However, the oil was totally block and the noise coming from the region of the Diff does sound terrible, so I can only put 2 + 2 together?

I'm pursuing some goodwill with Nissan at the moment, given as it has FDSH and only 16,400 miles on the clock, but if that fails what sort of prices are you offering on a diff?

Hi Chris,

If push comes to shove I can let you have a UK diff with Viscos for £350.00 mate.

Regards the correct oil issues, even Nissan get confused on this one, so for the avoidance of doubt best to get the details of the oil that the garage fitted and send them over to me and I will confirm if all is good or not :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Thanks for your response, and the quote!

Would you suggest just giving a like for like replacement if Nissan aren't willing to contribute or perhaps I should look for an upgrade?

Thanks

No point in upgrade if the car is to used primarily for just road use. The Viscos LSD is fine for that.

The Oil used by my local garage was ordered from Benfiled Nissan and the material code was: KE90799932 (which having Googled it looks like the right one?)

KE907-99932 is the correct diff. oil for the U.K Zed with viscos LSD.

Nissan often get confused because it now states on the side of the bottle "Not to be used when a Nissan genuine LSD fluid is required"

The above oil is not suitable for a manual 6 speed gearbox.

Thought I'd give an update... since the oil has been replaced in the Diff there hasn't been a sound.... I took it to Benfield Nissan in Newcastle to have thier "master Tech" look over it and check the noise I had been hearing... but... they could not find anything wrong and heard nothing when it was on the ramp (no charge for that check which was a nice suprise!), so I guess I'll just have to monitor it and hopefully have saved a few hundered £'s!!

Thanks for the quotes tho

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The whining noise is as loud as it ever was when cold and the car is running at about 50mph (ish), but continues to disappear once it's been running for about 10 - 15 mins... Any other sufferes out there?

Plus I now think my clutch may be on the way out... it's been juddering when pulling off on an incline...