Wookiee's UpRev Adventure at Abbey

Wookiee22

Just wanted to share my experiences of Abbey Motorsport and in particular the UpRev service they provide. I will be able to post dyno results once I find a scanner!

Arrived there on Saturday morning, following SatNav instructions and arrived at a very inauspicious looking farm complex. Were it not for the yard full of Skylines you might not even know what happened there - I imagine this is most likely intentional so as to keep toe-rags at bay.

Was given a quick tour of the testing facility where my car was strapped up to the hub dyno - it's a very impressive set up, making best use of the space available and utilising a lot of sound-proofing to keep the neighbours happy. On the way in passed under Mark's chilli red up on a 2-post lift. No engine in it at the moment but I'm excited to see how it turns out...

Then we were into the mapping itself. Started with a series of dyno runs in stock form to act as a datum, effectively. Was very interesting to see the ecu 'learning' between runs - the entire process was talked through by Mark as I sat in the passenger seat. He clearly knows his stuff and is very happy to explain the details of what changes he is making step by step. Once the UpRev licence was flashed onto the ecu he started with the tuning itself. I'd explained that, as I live in Germany, the majority of my mileage is on the autobahns. Mark took this into account and ensured that at higher revs the afr remained ever so slightly lower than he would normally aim for - running lean(ish) on a sustained run at high speeds is a great way to kill an engine!

I think that this identifies the crux of what I think is so excellent about this service - this is a lot more than just a simple "one solution fits all" reflash that could be achieved by posting someone an ecu. Here you are paying for someone with a great deal of knowledge about these cars to spend time providing a bespoke service. This also means that the map can be adjusted to take into account whatever myriad bolt-ons you have added. A map that runs fine on one zed could conceivably cause detonation on another. Not good.

The final dyno showed a peak of around 265rwhp (about 10 up on the best of the stock runs) and a much fatter torque curve. The AFR looked considerably better throughout the rev range too! Like I said, I'll post them up as soon as I can, but to be honest it's how the car drives that matters more than graphs.

Mark took the car out for a quick spin around the local area just to check all was well, I quite enjoyed sitting in the passenger seat and listening to the difference my new HFCs and Y make to the exhaust note! Back at Abbey I had a chat with Mark about my future plans (namely a Vortech - Nurrish is trail-blazing while I am still waiting for my kit to arrive from the US :blush: ) and how they are still working on the issue of live-mapping the UK ECU. Also bumped into a couple of forum members in the office!

So then, what does it feel like to drive?

I have to say, it makes a considerable difference - more than I was expecting in fact. While it clearly won't turn the car into a neck-muscle-ripping monster overnight it just makes the whole driving experience a lot smoother and you can certainly feel the difference in torque in the mid-range. Driving back to Paderborn (a good few hundred miles) I wasn't able to put the hammer fully down due to the horrendous weather conditions (although it looks a bit drier today and the 'bahn is only 3 miles away :) ) but in every gear it just seemed to generate a lot more 'pull' whenever I required it.

This may appear to be some kind of Abbey love-in but I can assure you it isn't. Certainly if my experience hadn't been so good I'd let you know that too, however I reckon it's important to hear when a company gets it right!

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this service to anyone. Probably a good idea to get all your bolt-ons sorted first and then make the trip, I really don't believe you'll regret it. :thumbs:

P.S. Mods - I appreciate that there are other threads along a similar theme - don't wish to cause a drama by starting a new one (the others are getting a bit long and rambling though ;) ) so feel free to move if necessary!

Sounds good mate :D

what made you do the uprev before fitting the s/c?

I'll be honest - a bit of boredom might have had something to do with it! :blush:

Because Easter is the absolute earliest I'll be able to do the installation (I really hope it's arrived by then!) I just fancied a change in the interim. Now I've got the UpRev license on the ecu it'll just be a case of going back to Abbey and paying for the tuning time.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Don't blame you mate....its defiantly refreshing! Cant believe your still waiting for your kit to arrive :surrender:

I know mate. If I had any hair I'd be tearing it out!

Had a few dramas with suppliers and the like. On the plus side it's given me the chance to adjust the order slightly (mainly by adding stuff :lol: ) and at least I know it'll be the right kit.

Just wait until you come to install it :scare:

Pay for my ticket and i will come and help :teeth:

Will most likely be installing in Suffolk, so I can pick you up! :teeth:

where abouts in suffolk, i live in ipswich and am happy to lend a hand

Just wait until you come to install it :scare:

Pay for my ticket and i will come and help :teeth:

Will most likely be installing in Suffolk, so I can pick you up! :teeth:

where abouts in suffolk, i live in ipswich and am happy to lend a hand

Near Bury. Think I'd certainly apprecate some assistance, particularly given Nurrish's experience. May well take you up on the offer. Thanks! :thumbs:

J

P.S. Mods - I appreciate that there are other threads along a similar theme - don't wish to cause a drama by starting a new one (the others are getting a bit long and rambling though ;) ) so feel free to move if necessary!

no its fine wookie, great to read your thread and I'm sure Abbey like your endorsement

Near Bury. Think I'd certainly apprecate some assistance, particularly given Nurrish's experience. May well take you up on the offer. Thanks! :thumbs:

worst case scenario i have mates at Team AFM in martlesham we can always tow it there and get them to help ;)

worst case scenario i have mates at Team AFM in martlesham we can always tow it there and get them to help ;)

:thumbs: Sounds promising!

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update!

A lot drier in Germany over the past week, so got the car on to the autobahns to have a bit of a play. First thing that was noticeable (to do with the new hfcs and y rather than the tune) was the amount of noise in the cabin has certainly increased! I also now have a bit of an exhaust rattle at around 2k revs which I really need to sort the next time I get the chance.

Anyway...

I am happy to report that the removal of the speed restrictor works (161mph max according to my satnav, wasn't looking at the speedo for obvious reasons!) and the bump in torque is definitely noticeable in the mid-range at higher speed. In real terms (and not just when driving at stupid speeds) this means there's when you have to slow down for a car pulling out into the fast lane, there really is no need to change down when you subsequently need to 'press on'. Just put your foot down and you're away.

The 161 is not top speed btw, there were still revs left...