Nurburgring trip?

ZedJohn

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'ld love to go to the ring but cant see it happen this year :(

This it the time to beat:

8:26 Nissan 350Z Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (10/2003)

:thumbs:

8.26? P'ah! I could do that with my eyes closed - no - wait, I was dreaming, that's why my eyes were closed...

I remember the Sabine Schmitt Top Gear clip - trying a sub ten minute lap in a Transit!

That will be a full lap - the industry standard. Bridge to gantry is somewhat shorter. :)

B):blush:

I would love to be at that standard of driving, theres a guy at my work who's an ex-race driver and his car control is amazing. His Lotus was beating much more powerful / faster cars at Bedford - I managed a 1/4 lap then let him past me!

If people are definately up for this, then you need to start looking at accommodation, we usually stay at the Ringhaus but I think its already booked up.

Yes, this is true but i know of so many good alternatives to stay that i am positive that we will get a place to stay :thumbs: and moreso i checked with frank @ the ringhaus and there are tons of vacancieson either bank holiday :clap:

see reservation link: http://www.ringhaus.com/hotel_en/public/public.php

Sleg

That will be a full lap - the industry standard. Bridge to gantry is somewhat shorter. :)

Shame you may not make it Andlid :byebye:

Yep..... Von Saurma's time is the full 14mile lap but the customary timed lap on touristenfahrten is the B to G as mentioned by David. i got a 08;15 best time but with traffic etc usually do 08:30-45 ;)

GT4Zed / Sleg,

How many people do you think we'll need? When should we book it?

No specific numbers required but i would say +5 zed will be awesome

I think the next step will be to see what interest we have for this trip by the last week of March then i can start making reservations and collecting deposits for ferry crossing and hotel booking :bounce:

I think May 31 bank holiday would leave us with 2 months prep time from end of march :p we should go on the friday 28th early morning so as to be in Nurburg in the evening so people can familiarise themselves and we have all of saturday and sunday to run and back monday 31st morning to be in the UK in the evening after a stop in Calais for booze shopping :teeth::teeth:

The only consideration will be to account for the fact that the German Motocycle champoinships will be on the same weekend at the GP circuit so it is essential we get the reservations early.( first May bank holiday weekend is ruled out as the Ring(Nordschleife) will host the AVD race weekend!)

See Opening times below:

• Starting date Time Event Venue
    Friday, 28.05.10 17:15 until 19:30 h Touristenfahrten(Public access) Nordschleife
    Saturday, 29.05.10 13:15 until 19:30 h Touristenfahrten Nordschleife
    Sunday, 30.05.10 08:00 until 19:30 h Touristenfahrten Nordschleife

In sumary the trip will tentatively go like this:

- Between today and end of March: time to confirm definitive interest.

- End of March - first week of April. I will confirm List, intinerary, ferry & hotel arrangements and collect deposits for these!

- Between April and departure date : regular updates, info on anything regarding the trip eg preping the zed, boarding & lodging, immigration, safety, health, insurance etc!

- Friday 28th: Meet up in London or Dover at least 1 hr before boarding time.

- 4-6 hours drive from Calais to Nurburg (300miles)in convoy ( takes me ususally 3.5hrs via Belgium and single quick break stop!)

- Arrival at Nurburg, check in and familiarisation tour, Q&As!

- Saturday 29th- sunday 30th : Vehicle check ups then Laps @ the Ring :drive1:drive1 Beer, feedback, etc in the evening

- Monday 31th bank holiday: depart early for Calais. Stop at the carrefour Hypermarche or other for Booze etc.

- Check-in and boarding of ferry

- Arrival at Dover: good byes and safe journey time :byebye:

The issue of Budget always comes to mind and it is always relative :D The following cost have to be borne in mind though :p

1-Prepping costs: making sure the zed will make the 1000mile trip :teeth: Nothing special required here just a routine service if required (but and oil service will be a good idea before you go!) and good set of tyres and brakes in good working order :lol: ( you can also get this done in Addenau Nissan. I have done this(p1) before including a quick geometry check and fine tune all in for 100euros and know the Boss quite well now!

2- Travel costs:

- Petrol (2-4 tanks full..........laps dependent :drive1 )( Aim to just have enough to get you into france and fill up there to Nurburg and vice Versa :lol: ),

- ferry fare = circa 40-50 quid with advance booking and crossing very late or early ;)

- Hotel including breakfast: 30-50euro/day based on sharing! there could be the possibility of group discount dependent on group size :clap:

- Food and drinks: cheaper than in blighty and there are so many choices in and around Nurburg and Adenau.

- Laps: cost 22 euro a lap but gets discounted the more you buy! to really have fun i would say aim for at least 25: laps 5 on the first day (17:15-19:30pm) then 10laps on saturday(1:15-7:30 and sunday(08:00-1930). Note: it might not be possible to get in all your laps in due to closures(accidents usually or even sudden change in weather!) but this card be refunded or valid up to the 31/12/2001.

Lap prices:

1 Lap € 22 ~ £20

4 Laps € 75 ~ £68

8 Laps € 145 ~ £131

15 Laps € 250 ~ £225

25 Laps € 390 ~ £351

- Other cost: eg europe travel kit(first aid, yellow vest, bulb kit etc), toll (dependent on route), professional Ring photo etc

I think i have covered enough to convince anyone who wants to go or not by now and we will see what happens from here. Please feel free make your comments etc!

cheers

Bennett

GT4 Zed thats an excellent plan, I am already all booked into the Dorint at the Ring on saturday, and we are travelling on the Friday to Brugge, Just to break up the journey a bit as the ring isn't open until lunch time.

But I look forward to meeting up with you all there and show some of the other cars I am going with what a proper car forum is about :teeth:

There are some experienced drivers in my group so anyone wanting a passenger lap i will try to sort it out for you. (they have EVO X's, a BMW CSL, hopefully someone there is coming in their new GT3 RS :scare: )

Sleg

GT4 Zed thats an excellent plan, I am already all booked into the Dorint at the Ring on saturday, and we are travelling on the Friday to Brugge, Just to break up the journey a bit as the ring isn't open until lunch time.

But I look forward to meeting up with you all there and show some of the other cars I am going with what a proper car forum is about :teeth:

There are some experienced drivers in my group so anyone wanting a passenger lap i will try to sort it out for you. (they have EVO X's, a BMW CSL, hopefully someone there is coming in their new GT3 RS :scare: )

The dorint :cloud9: Sleg................. you are a posh git you :p

Will be excellent to meet up so there is a good :drive1 skill mix for everyone to have fun :clap: i have my eyes on that GT3 RS for breakfast :evil:

Sleg

Basically, your talking about £1000 all in to have a good time, about right?

Glenn bluntly put yes and no :lol: Its all about what you plan to do when you get there :D( How many laps you do! where you stay! how much you party etc)

The way i see it the tyipical direct expenses are:

- £350 for 25 laps or less

- £150 for hotel and breakfast for three nights

- £50 for ferry

- £200 for fuel or less

- £50-100 for food and beer

- My credit card for contingency :scare:

But if you base this cost on two sharing a car you can almost cut this in half :lol::lol:

If you plan to do more than 66 laps or make multiple visits then get a jahreskarte or season ticket(£967 @ present exchange) for unlimited laps so on subsequent visits your cost is only getting there and board and lodging :thumbs: You can share the season ticket but they do very occasionally check the driver is the same as the card owner :scare:

Bump :bounce::bounce:

See my post on page 2 for a tentative trip plan and on page 3 for estimated cost if you were to spend 3 nights and do 25 laps :D

As stated already departure is planned for friday 28th of May and return bank holiday monday 31th. i will start a seperate thread at the end of this month and request interested parties to put their names down or confirm they are likely going to make it! Please remove your names if not.

From April i will begin to collect a small deposit to secure hotel and ferry booking ;)

1-GT4 zed-------------------------------- May bank holiday or any other group date

2-ZedJohn ------------------------------- May bank holiday. Relatively flexible with holidays.

3-Sleg----------------------------------- May bank hloiday.

4-Glenn 1981----------------------------- May bank holiday is good for me!

5-Captain--------------------------------85% sure

6-?Roo

7-?Wizard

8-?Anubis

9-?swooper

10-Rob-Hughes-----------------------------Can't make it

11-?Thomasorenson

12-Andlid----------------------------------Unsure

We go every year, both car and bike... £ 160ish bike on the ferry, car £ 360ish, thats going Newcastle to Ijmuiden (just north of Amsterdam).

We go different places each year, even south of France over the Swiss Alps but this year I go in July (on bikes with the mates) and when I get home I park the bike, bags in the car and go over with the wife...

Our usual first day on the Continent is down to the Shell / Mcdonalds 83 miles south, after that break its on to Zolder Circuit a few miles away. We make our way through Haccourt to Henri Chapelle War Memorial (stunning but sad to see) from there its down to Spa (the town), over to the track then on to Malmedy via the Eupen road just for the mountain twisties into the town...

From Malmedy the roads heading down to Bastoign are cracking and again from Bastoign over to Mosel Valley, brill fun. Mosel is relaxed sweepers and when you get to Cochem (fuel stop) head north to the Ring.

As said, Ringhaus is the place to stay, its close to the track and you often meet the most interesting people from the world of motorsoprt...

Enjoy the track, give it and those on it respect, but enjoy it, thats what its all about, you having fun. Dont race or drive outside your means and all will be well. If you'r not familiar with track driving in the wet then DONT do it coz it will bite you, simple as that. Best thing to do is arrange a few track nights leading up to your trip so you at least know what its like on track...

Feck, cant wait now...

Dont race or drive outside your means and all will be well. If you'r not familiar with track driving in the wet then DONT do it coz it will bite you, simple as that. Best thing to do is arrange a few track nights leading up to your trip so you at least know what its like on track...

Feck, cant wait now...

Not sure I agree about your driving in the wet comment. My first trip out there it pi55ed down all weekend and we had a fantastic time. As you say "Dont race or drive outside your means and all will be well.".

I think you just keep the same mantra - wet or dry. If you're new to the place remember it can kill you and treat with utmost respect. The best advice I was ever given was "Drive it like an A road that you don't know". :)

Missing the place like mad.

Having only done Bedford, I consider myself an expert, possibly even a world leader when it comes to the 'Ring... :dry:

Definately a familiarisation trip - will be paying a lot of attention to the mirrors and I don't mean vanity!

1-GT4 zed-------------------------------- May bank holiday or any other group date

2-ZedJohn ------------------------------- May bank holiday. Relatively flexible with holidays.

3-Sleg----------------------------------- May bank hloiday.

4-Glenn 1981----------------------------- May bank holiday is good for me!

5-Captain--------------------------------85% sure

6-?Roo

7-?Wizard

8-Anubis----------------------------- May bank holiday is good for me!

9-?swooper

10-Rob-Hughes-----------------------------Can't make it

11-?Thomasorenson

12-Andlid----------------------------------Unsure