Finally joining the fold....few questions....

magicgreg

Well......some years ago I joined this forum with a view of buying a Z, possibly a MY06 GT Coupe, well things changed and I ended up getting a MY07 Impreza STI Hawkeye which I fiddled and fettled upto 420bhp/450lb/ft, needless to say it was a beast and I loved it!

My circumstances changed and I sold the car to put monies towards a house, which left me with my run around, piece of turd, Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Bertone!!

Now things have settled, I want a Z, inparticular a GT Roadster.

I'm looking at spending around the £12500 mark and will want it in either Blue or Black. Looking at Autotrader/Pistonheads I seem to be able to grab an 05/55 plate at a stretch for my money.

Now you have the background, I have a few questions that I'm hoping a few knowledgeable members could assist me with.....

Can anyone recommend places to visit for service work in the North East of England as I doubt any local dealers are much kop?

Am I correct in thinking that I could expect upto 400 miles per tank at around a £65 fill up? If anyone fancies letting me know what they get per tank feel welcome!

With regard to modifications I'd be interested in exhaust/induction/rear wing additions.....I'm aware of the Z Store online, however, what other online/local retailers come recommended for the mentioned parts? Cost and reliability being the obvious key areas.

Leading on from the last point....what local tuners of 350Zs are available in the North East? Any comments on standards and reputations would be good.

Do members believe that the standard BOSE stereo in GT Models is adequate or do the majority upgrade, if so what components are common place for upgrades?

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds to the rather large amounts of questions I have asked there.

Cheers

Greg

Yep been in the FAQ and searched around, some stuff answered thus far, however, I'm not sure if I'm not being specific enough with the search function but I've spent hours trawling through various pages upon pages of posts, struggling to find a few things so I thought I'd enquire here also.

Yep been in the FAQ and searched around, some stuff answered thus far, however, I'm not sure if I'm not being specific enough with the search function but I've spent hours trawling through various pages upon pages of posts, struggling to find a few things so I thought I'd enquire here also.

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

I'm surprised you have not found most the answers by a search and with that list it is going to take someone a fair amount of time to help you, (and no one gets paid on here ;) ) so if you have since found some of the answers you are looking for you can go back into your post and edit it.

try refining the search by only searching in the areas that will answer your questions.

But to give you some help:

The car is pretty much bullet proof as long as it has been regularly serviced at the intervals you have posted. Obviously if you can get a car froma a forum member your on to a winner as it will have been VERY well looked after. You have already listed all the major faults. :thumbs:

As for a garage in the North East i cant really help as im in the south east, i know RS tuning, a trader on here, is in leeds. Im sure some of the more Northerly members can help you out there.

If you look at the portal home page of the site you will see a list of traders such as Envy Performance (z-store) CS, Z1 (States) rare Rims etc aswell as member traders who can also source new or second hand parts.

As for the bose, mine is shocking so im replacing it straight away. If you search in the audio section you will see a whole range of aftermatrket options.

Hope this helps

oh and 400 miles on a tank is achievable if your cruising for long miles but if that includes urban miles or spirited driving i would be looking at around 350.

Cheers mate!

I'd definitely be looking at putting a double din unit in place of the Bose system, something along the lines of touch screen with integrated ipod/dvd/sat nav - I had a Kenwood 7029 I think it was in my scooby and it was fantastic.

Will have to look into how tricky it is to install one of those in a Z now.

Depends on if your going to change the whole system ie amp and sub or just the headunit. If its just the headunit you just need some adapters as the bose connections are slightly different to most after market parts, plus a facia adapter to get a flush fit.

Like i said there is a massive topic on changing the system in the audio section :thumbs:

Yep thanks again mate.

Also I'm pretty decided on a Nismo exhaust system and JWT Pop Charger, the combo does sound rather good, the Janspeed K1 System seems to offer a good noise also, especially for the price, although I'm sure the quality of the system will reflect, especially when in comparison to the Nismo.

To summarise.

Modify to change characteristics/sound. You won't get much of a performance gain from anything. Unless you lob a S/C or turbo on there. Which will cost many times the amount a turbo upgrade would on a scooby, and will be less reliable.

BHP increase per £ is awful on the car. If that is a big thing for you, you may want to reconsider. If you're just after stockish power with an awesome sound. DON'T RECONSIDER!

The Bose is dire, and you'll lose satnav sound and bluetooth if you change it, and you can't use the Bose amp if you want to do anything decent with the sound. :(

A full tank of fuel might get you 400 miles, but it will cost about £85, not £65 :)