Bye bye Zed

Trev-the-Rev

Superb choice mate. I've not driven one yet... please post a review of it...!! I think running costs are the only thing putting me off...

I shall happily post up a review once I get it - try stopping me :teeth: Running costs with the exception of insurance are likely to be less than the Zed tbo. The service intervals are 2 years/20.000 miles at an average cost of around £500 and that's main dealer prices so a good indy would obviously be less. It weighs nearly 200 kilos less than the Zed so is therefore better on fuel, brakes, etc. Geniune parts are obviously more costly than Nissan but hopefully it will live up to Porsche's reputation for reliability.

Wouldn't imagine that you would leave it 20,000 between oil changes would you Trev?

Most definately not. The benefit of this long service interval though is you can keep an up to date service history without busting the bank. Stark contrast to my Evo that has a 4000 mile interval

Nice one. Beautiful.

But it of course, begs the question, why not a nearly new 370z?

Is there a massive difference between cars? On paper the performance looks similar. But that only tells part of the story! :)

Quite simply because I'm not that attracted to the 370Z. I have loved owning and driving my 350 and had given serious consideration to replacing it with a 370. That was until I saw one and later drove one. Is is not the car that the 350 is imo in terms of both its appearance and driving pleasure, so since I have always fancied the Cayman, it was the obvious replacement.

I don't like the overall appearance as much as the 350. The front has come in for quite a bit of criticism and I don't like the rear end as much either. It is also not as inspiring to drive imo insomuch as it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the 350, the ride is less firm and it just feels more sanitised overall. The interior is possibly better and one would hope the paint too. Overall though it just didn't excite in the same way as the 350 did when I first saw it.

These are purely my opinions of course and obviously won't be shared by everyone.

Yes I agree the Cayman does command a much greater price and that's the main reason I didn't buy new. But a 2 year old car with 17000 miles on it that cost around £52K when new, represents a better buy than a new 370Z for my money.

I don't like the overall appearance as much as the 350. The front has come in for quite a bit of criticism and I don't like the rear end as much either. It is also not as inspiring to drive imo insomuch as it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the 350, the ride is less firm and it just feels more sanitised overall. The interior is possibly better and one would hope the paint too. Overall though it just didn't excite in the same way as the 350 did when I first saw it.

These are purely my opinions of course and obviously won't be shared by everyone.

Yes I agree the Cayman does command a much greater price and that's the main reason I didn't buy new. But a 2 year old car with 17000 miles on it that cost around £52K when new, represents a better buy than a new 370Z for my money.

+ One billion per cent.

Indeed. For re-sale values anyway. I think the rest is personal preference. I've never been in any type of boxster/cayman. What's the exhaust note like?