Behind the seat rear speakers

Hi Guys

The speakers behind my seats have never worked since I owned the Zed. Ive got Infinity's in the doors and they produce a brilliant sound.

I think im ready for a bit more sound though, what size go in the rear and should I run with Infinitys again to match the fronts or has anyone got an better recommendations for similar money ?

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

6.5 on the rears are just a straight swap (unlike the fronts!!)

But some 6.5's have been known to be bigger than others :wacko: am sure the ICEickles will tell you why !

If you havnt got either rear speaker running you may find its a wire issue so worth checking out before you buy.

Didnt have Bose so no 1st hand knowledge, but I seem to remember issuse with speaker swaps, but that could have been just the connectors...

Thanks for the information 3FIDDYZ ...

How would you rate the speakers you have?

I take it these are a straight swap with the existing ones?

Am not a major audiophile in the car (am in the house though!) but these are just fine. Rear speakers dont need to be great as the sound stage should be upfront and center rather that being surrounded by noise.

Am running them via the kenwood HU which has a bit of oomph... The Clarion in the Zed isnt that powerful so this is another area to consider.

But in answer to your question, straight swap.

Thanks again ...

I'm not sure if it's my exisiting speakers or not but when I set the fader to rear only I can barely hear anything, even though the volume is set fairly high ....

I might just replace them anyway, as any improvement is better than what I currently have ...

:thumbs:

I installed the infinity’s that are on eBay for £35. I think for the price they are amazing. Really good clear sound which don't distort no matter how high I crank up the volume.

Bit time consuming to install as you really have to dismantle the interior. I also ran new speaker cable as mine (JDM) kept cutting out.

I used this guide here to help with the install

Just a question.... do you really need rear speakers?

I had a set up in my old celica where I just had focal speakers, mid range and tweeters in the door and just a rear sub, powered by a 4 channel amp. And the sound was really good. I will be going along the same route when I get time to have ago at my system in my zed.

Before I went about installing the system I spoke to a guy in a car audio shop, and he suggested this set up as its what they do in high end installs. have look at this, and some of the comments support what this guy had told me, especially the post from arcam boy.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/car-ente ... akers.html

Just my 2p worth :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question,

Planning on changing the speakers, do the covers just pop off?

No you need to remove the whole of the top I think. Not a difficult job, work from the boot, and get a trim removal tool if you havnt done it before. If your happy removing trim and the poppers at the back, fingers are just as good! Just dont yank to hard!