Sound db levels of Standard Exhaust

g60luke

• 3 months later...
Stock UK backbox + aftermarket Y-pipe = 81dB at 4500rpm @ 0.5m from exhaust.

As tested at Bedford on Saturday.

What does this combination sound like when compared to the standard y pipe? A lot of people say the scorpion back box without the japspeed y pipe is not much louder than standard, was wondering if I may as well save a few quid and get the same sound by changing the y pipe and not the back box....

What does this combination sound like when compared to the standard y pipe? A lot of people say the scorpion back box without the japspeed y pipe is not much louder than standard, was wondering if I may as well save a few quid and get the same sound by changing the y pipe and not the back box....

Honestly? It's not that loud really. Bear in mind that I've done that on purpose to ensure that I'll never have an issue with any trackday I choose to do, but it's also worth remembering that I used to have a K1 on there that I ran happily sans inserts so I do enjoy a loud exhaust!

I forgot to mention I've also got a Popcharger on there too, and for me when the car is under load at WOT and I'm ripping through the gears to the 7K redline I'm more than happy with the noise the car makes: There's enough edge to put a tingle down your spine still. I do wish it was a bit more fruity at lower RPMs with less throttle, but I'm not prepared to risk losing trackdays by putting a different backbox on. For most people who are looking for a noise increase over anything else I would say that changing the Y-pipe alone probably isn't going to be enough for them, but then I haven't heard too many other Zed exhaust combinations in the flesh to have a proper comparison.

Honestly? It's not that loud really. Bear in mind that I've done that on purpose to ensure that I'll never have an issue with any trackday I choose to do, but it's also worth remembering that I used to have a K1 on there that I ran happily sans inserts so I do enjoy a loud exhaust!

I forgot to mention I've also got a Popcharger on there too, and for me when the car is under load at WOT and I'm ripping through the gears to the 7K redline I'm more than happy with the noise the car makes: There's enough edge to put a tingle down your spine still. I do wish it was a bit more fruity at lower RPMs with less throttle, but I'm not prepared to risk losing trackdays by putting a different backbox on. For most people who are looking for a noise increase over anything else I would say that changing the Y-pipe alone probably isn't going to be enough for them, but then I haven't heard too many other Zed exhaust combinations in the flesh to have a proper comparison.

Thanks for such a detailed and honest reply :thumbs:

Looks like i am going to have to fork out the extra cash for a back box then.