Anyone built a custom intake system?

andlid

B)

I want to build a custom instake system with the end pointing downwards in front of the left wheel. Has anyone tried building their own 'cold' intake system?

If so any pointers would be real cool and tips! Heard that you need to 'know' or at least understand what type of pipe you'd need for airflow. As I understand it a perfect finish on the inside of the intake pipe might not be the correct way for airflow to flow freely... (might have got all that arseways) also outside is more for the 'bling' effect then anything.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

A. :teeth:

There are penty of CAI kits already available, maybe worth taking a look at these to get measurements etc. I'd definitely be looking at the kits giving the best gains in order to find optimum pipe diameter etc. Also the same for the filter.

I don't know how much access to workshops etc you have and how handy you are with fabricating your own materials (brackets and the like). What is it you want exactly from your custom system? If you are making a CAI then be wary of Hydrolock etc. Its probably easier and maybe cheaper to modify a second hand one or just buy one new!

Contemplated putting something together that was a mixture of the injen rad mounted filter and the AEM style one with the arch mounted filter splitting where a pop charger would fit... This was going to be done by using a y section and some silicone connectors. This ment that you could position the filters so they went really low.

My other idea was to get an enclosure made for the pop that had 2 inputs, one larger that connected to a scoop in the grill area and a smaller one that connected to the scoop in the wheel arch. Like the idea of the gruppe-s one.. Idea was also to make the enclosure and the the CAI pipe heatshielded...

But after discussing this with Mark there didnt seem to be much point apart from oddles of cold air from 2 places.

Main point is that the engine sucks in air and you cant force more in unless you go FI..

In most cases the std air box is probably the most efficient, however this is not always true, sometimes its just a case of changing the filter itself for a fee flow type.

I am not yet overly familiar with the 350 air box, but if its not really up to maximum flow for the engine?Then i would suggest building and enclosure around a pod type filter of a decent quality, and then directing the air feed via adequately sized pipework, this way you don't run the risk of watter ingress or damage.

You can also thermally insulate the air box/pod from heat soak from the engine.

Running an air filter in any position that it can come into direct contact with water is just going to cause you problems.