Car OVerheating

ireynolds

My car runs fine generally, although recently it has been getting hotter when sat in traffic.

When moving it seems fine.

The temp guage has gone up to the red, but then drops down again, sometimes without even driving,....

I assume I have an airlock or broken Thermostat.

When checking the levels in the reservoir the other day, I noticed that one fan was on constantly (as soon as the engine started) Is this normal if the engine is still warm?...them temp guage wasnt on the idle level at that point.

Whats the easiest way to get to the thermostat...is it something I can do myself? And where would you recommend getting one from?

Thanks

Thanks for all your answers.

When the car is running on the motorway (ie not stationary for any period) it blows hot air when hot - cold air when set to cold. eg works as it should.

When the car is stationary...the air is only ever cool....whatever the temperature its set to.

I will bleed the system at the weekend...and possibly buy a new thermostat...any ideas where to get one? (cheapest?)