OEM Brakes Vs the rest (good or bad choice)

gazofcorra

was it the yellow stuff, red stuff etc from EBC, only ask as they were my original choice, for yellow stuff, my other was the ferodo ds2500. deciding factor at the moment was price. but not due to change for a while so got plenty of time to research and plan for it.

Green, red and yellow from memory as well as Mintex 1144 I think it was and Porterfield R4S ?

EBC were always a "stiff" pad at the time but they may have changed the formulation since we looked at it.

I know the DS are not cheap, when I got a set for my 200 standard calipers they were £125 but when I got them for the Brembos they were only £99 which was strange as they were a bigger pad :wacko:

im racing mine but even before the weight loss (car not driver) the APracing big brake kit is brilliant, once up to temperature the stopping power is unbelievable, id say before you get them up to temp they are better than OEM but once they are up to temp ive not felt anything stop so quick, apart from maybe an atom with alcons..

MalloryPark0909_7323.jpg

This has been an interesting post and thanks to all who joined in, it would have been a bit better if we had more reviews off members and there setup's but probably all busy getting Xmas in order :)

I am going to go and get my brakes checked out soon, so i know how much disc and pad is left before i need to buy my new set.

I am going for Ferrodo DS2500 pads all round with Dixcel DAV FCR Carbon Slotted discs up front and either Dixcel or DBA for the rears, braided hoses all round and some good brake fluid to top it all off :yahoo:

Merry Christmas and don't follow the old story: :cold::drive1B):band::drunk::rant::wacko::boxing::blackeye::headhurt:

As soon as i know if i need front and/or rear discs i can contact Dixon regarding the discs as they are on special until the end of Jan 2010 :) i will also get in touch with CS for the pads, hoses, fluid and fitting and then i can book my track day at Oulton Park in February 2010 for some much needed bonding.

Happy new year to you all hope 2010 is a good one :drunk::yahoo:

Guys been told some important info from Dixon at Dixcel brakes.

Need to let you guys know our disk will not work on others pad, our disk are designed to use with carbon compound pad which give very high initial bite at low temperature plus it runs at very low temperature as carbon doesn't store as much heat like steel based brake pad like the others.

So unless you stick to dixcel pads your ****'d basically, i myself was looking for some good rotors/discs that could be used with various types of pads so i could choose a pad i like.

Back to square 1 :bang:

Nowt wrong with Dixcel pads! They last ages and feel great. I was mega impressed with the operating temps on them. If you have a search for my posts using the word 'dixcel' you'll probably find a lot of praise.

Both on road and track they are very usuable and very powerful. The only issue I've found is that they squeek now and then until you give them a couple of big stops. They just itch for more!

I managed to lift road surface with them without locking up! The combination or big tyres, big Zed weight and dixcel brakes.....

Hi Stew,

I think the Dixcel brakes are great from all the reviews that i have read and the only reason i specified that i wanted a good disc that works with top rated pads, is because i thought you cannot pick up dixcel pads that easy compared with (ferodo, mintex, pagid etc) which are available everywhere, and as the dixcel discs only work with there pads, what if i could not get hold of the pads as you never know.

Dixon from DMS says "There are no such thing on the Market, disk/pad always design together to work at it's best performance"

So my point is valid when spending around £1000 on a brake setup from a company that is not that well known or as well stocked here in the UK.

As quite a few other manufacturers do not specify that you solely have to use there own pads, but give you a list of pads that work with there discs under different circumstances from normal road use to street race to track and because you can get the pads from hundreds of sources the price for the pad stays competative.

If you could only buy your fuel from one source then it would cost a fortune, not that it is cheap at the moment.

DBA, StopTech, EBC, K-Sport are a few companys that specify a few different pads to use with there discs.

This is my only concern, nothing against Dixcel brakes but more of a concern about availability in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

After a lot of chatting with ZMANALEX and telling him what i want from my car, he came up with a Hybrid brake setup for my Z and it consists of:

1. performance Friction discs (purchased from ZMANALEX) :thumbs:

2. DBA 4601s discs for the rear (purchasing 2, 3, 4 & 5 from CS)

3. Ferodo DS2500 pads

4. Hel braided lines

5.Motul RBF600 brake fluid

All fitting will be done by the member CS :thumbs:

If you want some expert advice on what brake components to buy you should contact ZMANALEX who can also supply brake parts at very good rates, CS can also supply and fit a wide range of performance parts for the Z, both members can be contacted on this forum. :)

Interesting article, especially the lack of difference between the standard and Brembo versions. I wonder if that's down to the stock pads being of similar material.

I thought there would be a huge difference between the 2 models of standard brakes as the 350Z performance model also has smaller disks too (quoting the article) and the difference between the 332mm big brake kit was not much better than the standard Brembo's.

I have now decided that when it comes time to change my discs i will pick between Dixcel FCR Carbon Slotted disks or BDA 4000 series and for pads either Dixcel Type Z Carbon pads or Ferrodo DS2500 i would include the endless pads but i think there are 3 different types and i have not read any posts that rave about them for the money, but as more posts come in i will take all info on board.

What else works & why, oh yes and £ how much..........

There is as if you look at the temps the brembos are about 300c cooler.