Big open space anywhere?

H5

Does anyone know of anywhere, on this windy little island of ours, that can be hired out for a few hours / day to chuck a car around? I'm not talking about track days or anything, just a disused airfield or similar that you can play about and see how your car handles before you start playing with armco and gravel on tracks.

I'd like to get the Zed a lot closer to it's limits, and a few other firends have recent acquisitions (inlcuding a Red Rose TVR T350C :scare: ) and don't want to risk reshaping the car to find this out.

Thanks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of anywhere, on this windy little island of ours, that can be hired out for a few hours / day to chuck a car around? I'm not talking about track days or anything, just a disused airfield or similar that you can play about and see how your car handles before you start playing with armco and gravel on tracks.

I'd like to get the Zed a lot closer to it's limits, and a few other firends have recent acquisitions (inlcuding a Red Rose TVR T350C :scare: ) and don't want to risk reshaping the car to find this out.

Thanks.

You know what I've been thinking the same thing. Only one I know of is Bedford, but obviously that part of Palmer's dynasty now.......

If you find of anywhere then please let me know. I wanna start sliding her around more. Watching Top Gear everyweek on that "track" reminds me¬ :D

Most places that do Airfield track days are also available for private hire, the major problem would be cost. Unless you got a lot of people then it would cost quite a lot.

But then you have so many people its a nighmare to organise.

Your best bet would be to go on one of the airfield track days - maybe organise a special 350z one somewhere. The people can be aware that people are going to be attempting drifting etc rather than the normal racing line.

I agree on the cost argument, but also think that some cash now will save repiars, no claims loss, embarrassment, points etc. rather than driving like a goon on the roads to learn. Too many tractors and 4x4's to risk it.

As for drifting, it's then all about completing a course. I want an open space so I can drive in a straight line at 50 / 70 / 90 mph and see what happens when to try and corner as hard as possible etc. Having spent the last 6 years in a heavy diesel Volvo (jokes can start now! :p ) I need to be able to get more confidence in the car.

I'll have a look on t'internet when home and see what I can find.

Many others be up for it, and if so how much cash is reasonable? I'm happy to arrange it for those who want to come play.

I would say an Andy Walsh day is ideal.

You can get you and 3 mates and he will teach you quite a lot about the car and how to take it to the limit.

Going on track at airfield may be crowded and have risks. andy will set up a couple of courses when you go on your own, he has high speed corner designed to ensure you take it just beyond the limit of the car and the driver. Has massive ruin off and is designed to teach you where the limit is.

I would be willng to take one of the 4 places if you want, also think I will see him Friday/Sat so can ask if him.

See his site:

http://www.carlimits.com/

You can get you and 3 mates and he will teach you quite a lot about the car and how to take it to the limit.

Going on track at airfield may be crowded and have risks. andy will set up a couple of courses when you go on your own, he has high speed corner designed to ensure you take it just beyond the limit of the car and the driver. Has massive ruin off and is designed to teach you where the limit is.

I would be willng to take one of the 4 places if you want, also think I will see him Friday/Sat so can ask if him.

See his site:

If that was a bit closer , I'd certainly be up for this...sounds good..I like the sound of a lot of run off :)

See his site:

If that was a bit closer , I'd certainly be up for this...sounds good..I like the sound of a lot of run off :)

I think if you look closely you'll find that Steve said "ruin off"! That sounds a bit scary to me. :scare:

Anybody know where anything similar to the Andy Walsh experience can be found in Scotland?

Jim

See his site:

I think if you look closely you'll find that Steve said "ruin off"! That sounds a bit scary to me. :scare:

Anybody know where anything similar to the Andy Walsh experience can be found in Scotland?

Jim

yes I had noticed the Fruedian slip :teeth:

I would be interested, but probably when I'm a bit closer to changing the tyres! I suspect a session like that would remove a lot of tread very quickly.

looks like you want a set of 18"'s anyway..those 17"'s will be spot on for a track day :teeth:

I would be interested, but probably when I'm a bit closer to changing the tyres! I suspect a session like that would remove a lot of tread very quickly.

looks like you want a set of 18"'s anyway..those 17"'s will be spot on for a track day :teeth:

If your upgrading, might as well go 19's :thumbs:

See his site:

Put me down for that one Steve subject to calender?

If your upgrading, might as well go 19's :thumbs:

Yes. If I was to upgrade I would definitely go straight to the 19". You can really see the difference in the way they fill the wheelarches.

Thanks a lot! Just when I had stopped thinking about the wheels, too! (Her indoors wouldn't understand that level of expenditure.)

Dont tell her , she'll never see the difference... mine didnt :teeth:

We operate a joint account. She'd see that. :headhurt:

Thanks a lot! Just when I had stopped thinking about the wheels, too! (Her indoors wouldn't understand that level of expenditure.)

Schoolboy error :thumbs:

blooming eck Jim thats not like a Scotsman at all, you come from the South to live there :teeth: