Was I insured or not - brown pants experience!

mbs

Got the fright of my life yesterday when trying to renew my car tax for my Punto on the DVLA website.

I was told I couldn't renew as there was no valid insurance policy in force. I knew I had renewed the insurance at the the last renewal but to be sure I checked my credit card statement, no payment made, :scare::scare: so I rang the company and spoke to a call centre somewhere in the depths of India to be told that my policy had not been renewed at the last renewal. Talk about cold sweats, anyway to cut the story short after speaking to several people and being on the phone for at least 30 minutes I finally got to speak to someone in the UK who told me that yes my policy had been cancelled but it had been cancelled in error, apparently at the time of my last renewal they were having problems with a new accounting system which had failed to process my credit card payment and when no payment was received at renewal had cancelled the policy, they told me this had happened to several customers and they had rung everyone to put this matter right, they had rung my office number when I was out and I never got the message. They assured me that as it was their fault I would have been indemnified in case of a claim (fortunately I didn't have to test this assurance).

All is now OK and I am insured but I hate to think how I would have tried to explain this to the boys in blue if I had been stopped and charged with having no insurance.

Thats crazy but I must say not very surprising at the moment. As you say, its ok for them to say they would have covered you but if the insurance was really needed it would have been interesting to see if they honored it.

There is really too much paperwork flying around to check everything these days. :dry:

Did they not send you the new insurance document though?

When I tried to renew my tax on the Zed it said I wasn't insured. When I contacted them they hadn't changed the number plate as I was on the previous owners private plate until the switched it to their new car. So my reg was bringing up a Jag XKR instead of the Zed. I had all the paper work in my email though thankfully in case I was pulled.

Did they not send you the new insurance document though?

When I tried to renew my tax on the Zed it said I wasn't insured. When I contacted them they hadn't changed the number plate as I was on the previous owners private plate until the switched it to their new car. So my reg was bringing up a Jag XKR instead of the Zed. I had all the paper work in my email though thankfully in case I was pulled.

I got the renewal papers, rang up to renew gave my CC details , all about ten days before renewal, got confirmation back, including a certificate of insurance but apparently then their system failed to charge my credit card at renewal and the policy was cancelled.

but I hate to think how I would have tried to explain this to the boys in blue if I had been stopped and charged with having no insurance.

I very nearly had this happen to me! :scare:

I changed my MR2 a couple of years ago and informed my insurance company, Sky Insurance...I didn't recieve a new certificate, but as they didn't say they would send a new one out it slipped my mind to keep an eye out for it coming in the post. It turns out I was making payments to them, but the policy hadn't gone through their system!!

So I was on a day out in Matlock, got pulled over by an angry looking policeman and asked to join him in his car.

After explaining who my insurance was with, him phoning them up to check I did have a policy and them confirming...my heart rate was then able to return back to normal!!

He ended up showing me all the systems in his car that character-recognise the number plates of each car that drives by and runs the details through a database before letting me go...and even said he didn't mind my illegal rear plate as although the characters were slightly too small at least it was legible!! :lol:

:oops: Sorry chap, didn't mean for the post to reflect badly on Sky...I've always had a top service from you! :thumbs:

It was quite an amusing experience :lol:

No it's fine, I wasn't aiming that at you directly. A lot of people think that the database is updated immediately but it takes an average of 5 working days.

Cheers

Ollie

Sky Insurance