OIL ADVICE AND QUESTIONS

neo-ninja

Hi all,

So i have looked through the forums, but there seems to be quite a bit about the subject but none reflecting the below questions.

So when I got the car I told the garage to check the oil level for me, as I didn’t want to find I needed to refill the oil and forget etc etc…. they said they checked it and it was fine.

Anyway so being a nervous bugger, I decided to check it today, I drove back to work from lunch prob a 10 min 30-30pmh drive, parked the car in the work underground carpark and waited about 30 mins, then decided to check it.

What concerned me, was firstly how long and woberly the dipstick was and secondly, how I could see no clear level of the oil….. in every car I have owned previously it is clear the oil is X way up the dipstick, and if it is below the middle I top it up and if its ok I leave it. However on this there was literally no obvious mark, the oil looked very thin, and I couldn’t tell if it wasn’t full at all ( a tad scary) or was ok…

So basically I was wanting someones advice, I don’t really want to take it down to a garage as that is a bit of a pain and will make me feel like a spaz no doubt, if anyone is around and fancies giving it a look for me (im in Weybridge Surrey area (I know someone must be close by I have seen a few zs!!)) I would be very appreciative or if you have any advice.

Then secondly, what oil shall I buy, im not racing the car but do want it to be a generally healthy car. I was told by the garage a good quality 10-40 would do, and that it wouldn’t matter what brand/ type they had put in first…

Anyway let me know your thoughts!

And as always thank you in advance!

Neo

and you should be able to see the oil on the dipstick. If you cant then you havent got enough oil in. One member has reported that only a month after a service they couldn't see any oil on the dipstick. Engine was nearly dry but luckily no oil light had come on. Unsure whether the garage that had carried out the service had filled up with oil. Always worth keeping a eye on though

Aye the original and rev-up engines have the most cack dipstick in the world. As Alex says, leave it a few hours or overnight and you should be able to get a good reading, and also make sure its on the flat. When the engine is at all warm to the touch, its very difficult to get a good consistent reading :surrender:

So i checked irt this morning, the car was on a slight slope, very tiny slope barely noticible, front lower then the back, it was cold in the morning. And teh oil looks like it is just below/ on the min...

Should i fill up asap?

Neo

Check it on the level from cold and top up to maximum and watch and do not overfill.

On the minimum is not healthy. :scare:

im hoping its because its unlevel, recon i will check it again in the carpark around lunch then it has been sitting for a few hours.

In terms of best places and brand to buy oil from, what good oils do people recomend from a petrol station?

Let me know thanks!

HI All,

So i just bought some Castrol 10w - 40 GTX oil.

Is that good for my car?

Let me know and i will top her up a bit,

Thanks,

Neo

i like the fact you buy it first then ask if its alright :lol:

to be honest some fresh oil is better than no oil. put it in, then do your oil research and do an oil change at a later date. you want to get off the min line asap.

I've seen lots of posts about oil. But I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Try putting "oil" into the search bar. Comes up with NO results. Nadda, zip. :headhurt:

Is 5w 30 or 5w 40 fully synth the recommended?

yeah its very wierd, anyway going to put in the 10w-40 castrol gtx and give that a go.

either 5w30 or 10w40 are suitable for the car,

i use royal purple 5w30 in mine and have been very happy with it,

alot of other forum members use silkolene pro S either 10w40 or the new 5w30 but the latter only comes as 5 litres the 10w40 you can get in 1 litre bottles. ( or so it was last time i checked)