Battery Drained in less than 12hours

yeti

Can anyone explain why my battery was flat this morning?

56 plate Z, 35k used every day on a 120miles total commute.

Got up in the ice this morning expecting to go outside and start the z up to warm her and the heated seats up and the battery was flat as a pancake.

The was nothing on when i came to the car (lights/indicators/heated seats etc all off)

Has anyone had their battery drain in 12hours before? It wasnt locked, would that make a difference?

cheers

andy

MODS: couldnt see the appropriate subforum so i put it in here

I had something similar on my 53 car, it was because the battery was shot. New battery and everything worked like new. 56 plate seems a bit "young" for the battery to be gone but it could be.

Moved to Technical for you :)

Yeah chers fellas

i'm gonna try and steal a multimeter at some point today and get out there and have a look but for now i have the efficient 'spare battery' jump techique! - luckily i have a few batteries from by Corrado on the garage on trickle charge and they are man enough to start the z.

O if any ones thinking they'll be ok if they get a flat battery cos they have a big diesel car like me thaen be careful, The Battery Nissan puts in their new Xtrails isnt big enough and neither is the battery in a diesel passat but i suppose theire only 4 cylinders so that might explain it

Mine still under Nissan delaer warranty, any idea if battery's are covered?

Mine still under Nissan delaer warranty, any idea if battery's are covered?

I doubt it, normally comes under perishables

Yup, unless it dies in say less than a year, they'd tell you to feck off!

Doesnt the alternator put out more than 12v? I thought it was nearer 14v

ok so its still doing it, driven 600+ miles since i noticed it. The battery is still draining when left alone for more than 12ish hours to just enough to not start the car (just under 12v on the guage), but as soon as its started you can drive anywhere and providing its a little while to recharge the battery it's fine to sit for hours and then restart (ordinarily sitting around 15v when driving and sitting after along run). Fortunately i tend to get back from work late and i start early so it doesnt have time to drain enough ordinarily... i'm carrying a spare battery and jump leads in the boot just in case though :)

The battery seems ok, the alternator is working fine as its re-charging but the airbag warning light is still flashing at me. I havent yet had the time to remove the drivers seat i removed to trial fit new seats a while ago, as i want to check the wiring underneath.

Hoepfully i'll have time this weekend to check it all out properly