Controversial topic! Chav's and 350z

dcash5

Some of you may have realised I have become a bit of lurker recently but this is for one fear!

IS THE 350z BECOMING THE NEXT PERFORMANCE CHAV CAR?

Caveat; this is all my opinion and does not reflect the thoughts of the site management

We know;

With the recession hitting hard these cars have become cheaper and cheaper therefore allowing more people to own them for much less than they are worth (IMHO of course) and with the introduction of the 370z many of the enthusiasts are moving to the latest model.

Evidence;

R35lee is doing very well and being swamped with written off 350z :lol:

Young oikes like myself are able to own and insure these cars

There are some horrifically bad modified versions of the zed

Increase in 'DIY tuner parts' and cheap knock offs

Questions

Why have cars like; Lotus Elise, Supra, Skyline, Evo all managed to mainly avoid this or have they been through this stage and maturing again?

Is it just me that has noticed it?

Am I being stupid and should go back to being a lurker!

Opinions welcome!

I would say the Evo is definitely a chav favourite myself tbh

In terms of the 350z I still dont see many of them around at all really and havent actually seen many modified versions so I've never considered them to be chavvy.......but you do make a good point and I dearly hope you are wrong!

I agree with those sentiments, but only in the uk. Looking at the standard of 350z i've seen for sale on pistonheads over the last 2 years it's obvious that more and more "chavs" are getting their hands on the 350z as it becomes cheaper and doing terrible things to them, mainly things like (preparing to be flamed for this) tinting their rear lights black :bang::surrender::scare: I hate this, only cars in ireland you see doing this are @*!# box civic's from the early 90's !!

Thankfully the 350z is rare and commands a much higher asking price in Ireland due to the VRT tax we must pay on cars, also the 1600 road tax means a lot of people can't afford to tax them, never mind insure them aswell. So 350z's in ireland remain relatively rare and untouched by the chavs, they are all still driving civic's over here.

Cheers,

Pete.

Questions

Why have cars like; Lotus Elise, Supra, Skyline, Evo all managed to mainly avoid this or have they been through this stage and maturing again?

I would debate a lot of those as not being "Chav" TBH, but it happens to all performance cars to an extent, they get cheap and so much more widely available, particularly to younger folk who are more in to rather extreme styling.

After a while they go out of fashion again and starting becoming rarer and so you see less modified examples around again...

This debate came up a lot on the VX220 forums and it was generally thought those were dipping into the "chav" bracket although there was actually very few with major comestic mods...

ETA: it feels worse than it is because you own a 350z, are looking out for them, and have a connection with them. Also it tends to be those most in to modifying who post a lot on forums (prepares to get flamed for huge generalisation)

I have to argue with the Supra, Skyline and Evo. They have been chav'd to death over the years. I would know I was a max power enthusiast In my teen years, and deep down, I probably am still a little chav .

IMO any car is open to be chav'd (poorly modified). It's all dependent on the car sales market. If a car is cheap enough and has that appeal to the chavers, its going to be done. Now the 350z is starting to rise in price again, I think it will become out of reach to most Chavs.

:repost::repost: Been discussed in depth mate caused a bit of upset last time round

Sorry must have missed it :)

Is it this thread you are refering to..?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26891

Yes that's the one. I understand what you mean when you see a scroat driving a blinged up zed or a zed that maybe devalues it then yes we can start to assume this but then we have to remember everyone hav their own tastes and it would be boring of we all did the same thing?

Damn it I am turning onto a mod :shrug:

don't worry about just enjoy the zed and the club :thumbs:

As Stan said its been discussed at length. Where I live I can still go weeks without seeing another one so I don't really care. Chavs will do the same to whatever car they own, its just a matter of money as to how nice the car is that they ruin, thats all.

Unlocked to add my comments and thenits locked again.

The forum is very active and a very sociable place as far as I can see. If you look at the numbers for sales in the UK there are lots of owners who dont sign up on here.

As far as I am concerned we have no issues with labeling owners. If they sign up on here they almost always fall in with the way the place runs. As such this forum is pretty easy to mod with the only exception the rare person who just wants to have a pop and get bounced.

The chavs can run what they can afford but I am happy that we will maintain out standards. :)