UPREV reflashes and Group buys.

Mark@Abbey m/s

Just thought I would start another thread to make it easy for people to find.

I have a few maps for the UK 276BHP cars already, And with the time I have been playing with the 350 I know what cars need and dont need if they are slightly different in relation to tweaking the map.

Within the £345-00 inc vat Reflash cost , I do now include an hour or so to tweak the map if I feel we can get a little more from your car. I think this is a good deal not really any movement in the price as the dyno costs money and the UPREV system and license,s aren,t cheap.

I think 3 cars is the maximum I can do in 1 day and if you want before and after plots after fitting major items like exhaust that will limit the car run in 1 day.

But I can overlay anyones car with anyones elses dyno plots are we run the cars all under the same times on the dyno. So that is a dyno day in itselfs.

But I have a 276bhp UK car on the way and from what I have seen so far I have some idea,s up my sleeves on the tuning path of these 350z,s.

Yes we can fit any items supplied by us or you the customers as we arent just a dyno shop we are a 1 stop Z workshop. see our signature below.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

But I have a 276bhp UK car on the way and from what I have seen so far I have some idea,s up my sleeves on the tuning path of these 350z,s.

Mark

Any clues as to what your thoughts are?

I'm starting to acquire bits for mine and wouldn't want to go down the wrong route.

main problem with the UK 350Z car is the inability to be able to live map the ECU,s , it makes what would be an easy job into a job that takes a little time. I think I have come up with a cure that will make tuning N/A a little easier but make tuning the F/I cars very very easy instead of being a real hassle , which I feel will allow all the forced induction boys the chance to throw away the piggy back system.

I feel the Stock ECU struggles to work with a piggy back system as the stock ECU is always feeding back to trim the fuelling and working igntion timing.

With regards parts to make a tuning package up , I will say we have been removing the Stock cats fitting a Y pipe with a cat fitted and the stock exhaust seems to work real well and make a nice sounding car.So this will save a few quid and allow the car to stay reasonably quiet.

hope this all helps.

Price of the reflash is £352-50 inc VAT afetr the 1st of January.

Would an UpRev/Piggyback combination work?

I may well be getting this entirely wrong, but as I understand it the stock ecu (flashed to take into account different injectors etc) works best at lower revs, while a UTEC or similar can kick in once the boost comes on strong and can take over a lot of the control using its MAP sensor. The stock ECU doesn't have knock detection at high revs, while a UTEC has, and the UTEC also has switchable maps.

Am I well off the mark here? Would be good to know as I'm awaiting the imminent arrival of a whole load of kit!

Re only running stock ECU with F/I I have a very good friend that is a tuner in the US that has beent uning Z,s since coming on the market, thats says that he takes the Utec off of F/I cars and tunes with Uprev and finds BHP torque and repeatability on dyno runs.

We have tuned Z,s om HKS F-con Pro as well that works real well but needs a few parts to allow the cams to be controlled and the right signals to allow fuelling and ignition to be controlled in relation to cam angle. But it works out very expensive and really needs a throttle cable set up fitted to work 100% corrrectly.

I find it hard that it is said that the stock ECU isnt good enough for F/I , the ECU is far more complex than any lower end after market standalone or piggyback systems. The ECU is from the same family of ECU,s that run in the R35GTR , and with recalibrating load/rpm scales and changing maf,s will work very very well.

Re the knock control the trouble is that over say 4500 rpm even a stock motor becomes very noisy and the ability to read knock noise over engine noise becomes very very hard. Thats why we listen to motors with a det listening device when tuning cars and dont depend on Stock knock sensors or control.

The only trouble we have at the moment is that the UK car ECU isnt live mappable but I have been working on this and I hope to have a fix for this as well , I may even be able to allow multi maps on the UK cars ( this is all being sorted at the moment but I dont get my own UK car back till Jan some time , this is going to be the mule car)

I can map Utec if needed thou and we can use both the Utec and Uprev to get the best from your car if needed.

fire away with anymore questions.

Any more details on what the differences are with UK vs US ECUs that alllows them to have live maps and multiple maps? Being a software engineer, I still find it very difficult to see why these features can not be added to the UpRev flashes as its all just software at the end of the day. Is it a space/memory limitation on the ECU itself?

Yes the Eprom in the UK car is a lot smaller than in the US and JDM cars, thsi stops us uploading a patch to allow all the good features that the late UK 296bhp cars, US and JDM 276bhp cars can use, I.e live mapping and multi maps.

Bleeding Nissan cheapskates, probably only costs a few pennies per ECU :rant: Still that answers that question finally, cheers :)

I take it there's no simple way to swap the ecu for a US or Jap one?

Not a simple way but we are working on it ;)

Re UK ecu,s;

yeah cant understand it , they could of had the same spec of ECU in all the cars , just different maps in each car.

The list of RAM images we have for the cars is huge and we are still finding different spec,s all the time.

Even a cruise control car has a different RAM to a non cruise control car. You can cut and paste maps across thou between RAM images thou so that helps say doing a tune on a non cruise car that I havent tuned before you can just use a map from a cruise car cut and pasted across.

this is all new terroitory for me and i'm following with interest. mine will hopefully be booked in some time in the new year.

is it worth waiting till you've had a play with your car with the new tech?

also and this may sound like a stupid question if the ECU is basically a little computer is it possible to add more ram like you do with a normal PC, either swap out the old stuff, or have like an external ram that bolts on ontop?

or is it a case of it only works with that setup and any tampering in that way renders it useless?

RT,

your car is okay , we have some much data for the base stuff nowdays , the live mapping is for the F/I cars really.

also and this may sound like a stupid question if the ECU is basically a little computer is it possible to add more ram like you do with a normal PC, either swap out the old stuff, or have like an external ram that bolts on ontop?

nope cant do that I am afraid, wish we could thou

Mark