Buying Advice - LCD TV

From A to Zed

No probs, the only reason I know all this is I'm a Sonyphile myself and have also been looking to change.

Note that although the 5500 series is still being sold in Sony shops, I think the 5710 is newer ( ie 5710 without Freesat, 5810 with Freesat ).

I've done a model comparison between the 5500 and 5710 and technically they seem identical, so maybe just a newer casing design. Might be worth going into your local Sony shop and checking this out - most of the guys in these shops know their stuff, unlike some of the staff you find in Comet/Dixons/etc

Think'll you'll be able to pick up a 5500 cheaper than a 5710, but if you're someone that wants the latest model than the 5710 is the one. Note that 3Fiddy posted a link to the 2010 model the 37EX403 - couldn't see any info on whether 50 or 100Hz, there may well be a whole new range of them.

Gus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are over rating Sony. Would not be on my list if i was choosing a new tv. :) Lets face it only about 3 company's make all the screens for all the different brands anyway. ;) Panasonic all the way for me. B)

I never said Sony were the best, just that I like to buy Sony. :)

Did you know that industrywise, Samsung manufacture the best LCD panels to date and that some Sony lines actually have Samsung panels in them?

And if I remember correctly, Toshiba, Pioneer and Panasonic are all sister or daughter companies to the Japan Victor Company, otherwise known as JVC

You are over rating Sony. Would not be on my list if i was choosing a new tv. :) Lets face it only about 3 company's make all the screens for all the different brands anyway. ;) Panasonic all the way for me. B)

I never said Sony were the best, just that I like to buy Sony. :)

Did you know that industrywise, Samsung manufacture the best LCD panels to date and that some Sony lines actually have Samsung panels in them?

And if I remember correctly, Toshiba, Pioneer and Panasonic are all sister or daughter companies to the Japan Victor Company, otherwise known as JVC

Like i said then. In a lot of cases its just down to the different electronics used. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Just ordered this:

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/sony/kdl-40w5810u.html

Its coming Wednesday :teeth: Just ordered my SkyHD box too, that comes on Thursday.

I've just had a thought, do I need to be buying HDMI cables like I had to buy scart cables previously? :)

Sometimes the box contain 1 HDMI cable, go get a new one though you seem to be a bit of a top mark kinda guy so get a monster HDMI cable for extra crispiness :lol:

But do I need to buy HDMI cables for the DVD player,xbox,wii and sky???? :wacko:

not for the wii :lol: (doesn't take HDMI :scare: ) - Doesn't need to either to be honest... lol DVD player wouldn't really need it either! :scare: Xbox - not sure... Sky << no

I've got to much HDMI stuff so need to prioritize behind my telly and keep swapping the between devices and the TV :thumbdown: only came with 1 (YES 1) HDMI input! :thumbdown:

Xbox: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/sh ... d=26579070

So keep the Sky box to HDMI and the rest you can throw in the bin :lol:

But do I need to buy HDMI cables for the DVD player,xbox,wii and sky???? :wacko:

not for the wii :lol: (doesn't take HDMI :scare: ) - Doesn't need to either to be honest... lol DVD player wouldn't really need it either! :scare: Xbox - not sure... Sky << no

I've got to much HDMI stuff so need to prioritize behind my telly and keep swapping the between devices and the TV :thumbdown: only came with 1 (YES 1) HDMI input! :thumbdown:

Why not get an HDMI switcher Andlid????

Glad you got it sorted mate :)

Personally I would be going for an A/V amp with multipul HDMI imputs as they dont degrade the pic. If you do for a switcher your best to turn the item off that your not using! Then you just have one cable running to the TV!

Think that sony tv we discussed has got 4 so you should be ok, and then the wii via something else. DVD via componant is fine too!

Also! if you are going to get HDMI's and plug them all in, depending how your mounting try and get the ones with the 45 degree ends.. Lots stick out a fair way and they are a pain if your flush mounting!

Why not get an HDMI switcher Andlid????

was thinking that but then might be better to get the missus tired of me swapping them around and agree to go get a new telly :yahoo:;)

Glad you got it sorted mate :)

Personally I would be going for an A/V amp with multipul HDMI imputs as they dont degrade the pic. If you do for a switcher your best to turn the item off that your not using! Then you just have one cable running to the TV!

Think that sony tv we discussed has got 4 so you should be ok, and then the wii via something else. DVD via componant is fine too!

Also! if you are going to get HDMI's and plug them all in, depending how your mounting try and get the ones with the 45 degree ends.. Lots stick out a fair way and they are a pain if your flush mounting!

+1

One AV amp with my blu ray player connected to it and then the Wii connected via component and the Sky HD box directly plugged into the Plasma and then hook up the digital out the HD box into the AV amp for the sound. You really only need 2 HDMI leads to the TV as most times you will not always want your amp on to watch normal TV ect :thumbs: