TAX - Never phone the DVLA

Harman350z

I know we have had a topic on this before but it was that stupidly funny i thought i would :repost:

At least if i phone them up and try to get a wind up i might get my moneys worth.

I just called the DVLA regarding the cost.

For example my 2003 JDM = 405 per year

My friends zed 2003 UK = 200ish per year

Here Goes Step 1:

I asked firstly how do the DVLA calculate the Tax, he says Age + Emissions, ok so thats pretty simple.

So i ask him what he has for my car.. He reads out the details on my car ..

Nissan 350z 2006..

I explained that my car was 2003 manufactured - he didnt undertand :doh:

After time, i managed to convince him which should not have been needed.

So then i ask is the price correct at 405, he confirms (which i new the result)

So step 2:

I explained that my car is a 03 and i pay 405 and my friend has a 03 and pays 200 and i ask if its based on age and emissions how come the price is so high, he said because of date of registration, but i said its the exact same car.. Again he didnt understand..

The story goes on along the same lines as you could guess.. i think you should all try it. :lol:

Even though this doesn't affect me - every time I see a thread on this subject it really makes my blood boil. :rant:

This is obviously something that needs group action- it is simple enough for us to understand - tax should go on year of manufacture and emissions - not on year of first UK registration!

Am sure all it would take is one significant and consistent challenge to an appropriate 'officer' in the DVLA to get this sorted.

Bloody red tape officialdom crap Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(can you tell its Monday BTW? LOL)

er, don't think i'll be calling them:

Date of Liability 01 12 2009

Date of First Registration 08 06 2007

6 Months Rate £104.50

12 Months Rate £190.00

it's ok nixy, I'm giving them a call on your behalf :teeth:

I better too, just to make sure :lol:

er, don't think i'll be calling them:

Date of Liability 01 12 2009

Date of First Registration 08 06 2007

6 Months Rate £104.50

12 Months Rate £190.00

it's ok nixy, I'm giving them a call on your behalf :teeth:

I better too, just to make sure :lol:

+3 i have them on the phone just now... they want to know when you are paying the back dated tax??

I'm not the only one - i dont think they can decide what to do when they see the word fairlady! :lol:

Its because your car is registered under the wrong class. I forget what its called but you can register them as a light good vehical and it comes up cheaper. They have stopped doing this now, or at least they are actively clamping down on it ;)

When I brought my 03JDM a few months ago, they asked me if I wanted to wait an extra week so that they could get the car tested under the new regulations. Meaning my tax was cut from like 400 a year to 180 or something. Naturally I agreed.

I think its just a case of getting your car re-rested (de-cat permitting) lol

Mines coming off the road at the end of the year until Spring Time....................then tax it for 6 months and off the road again for the Winter. £400 + per annum for 12 months........................... :angry: I did know this though when I bought it. How they can warrant the extra ££££ over my earlier Zed beats me! Well we do have a war to pay for...................don't get me started on that one!

• 3 weeks later...

Im really not too sure what the company I brought my car from (auto terminal) did.

They had to get it tested as part of entering the country for use on the roads.

I think it would be a simple case of getting it re-tested at a local DVLA station right? Thats the only place mine went.

I do find it amazing that the DVLA can invest millions in camera systems, IT, databases, and staff to find vehicles that aren't paying tax, yet seem incapable of ensuring they charge the correct rates to those of us who are decent enough to pay our road tax in the first place... :dry:

Just checked online via the DVLA site and my Z is registered as 2003 and emissions as 0kg/m (or whatever). The year is correct, some how I doubt it produces 0 emissions, but I am happy with the £190 tax per year that it states!

Better than £405!

Thats because its registered as LGP or LPG (some kind of light goods vehical) which a lot of imports are registered as and are taxed way less than normal cars. This strictly isnt right, but is a nice little loophole that they are meant to be sewing up. My mates Evo is the same, taxed at £190/yr.