Strange rattle on startup!

danZman

Ever since I owned the car (4 months) 7 times out of 10 it makes a very strange rattling noise on startup, this morning was extra loud.

It starts every time, always on 5th click of starter motor, the revs jump up to 2k and then drop down to cold idle RPM, usually 1200 - 1500.

But its so loud its making me think there's something loose....

Because I have the clutch engaged, im sure it isnt any part of the drive-train as it never makes the noise again until next cold start-up.

I think it might be the starter motor.... but its functioning fine.

Any thoughts from you tecys / more experienced 350z owners?

standard 2003 jap import

Ever since I owned the car (4 months) 7 times out of 10 it makes a very strange rattling noise on startup, this morning was extra loud.

It starts every time, always on 5th click of starter motor, the revs jump up to 2k and then drop down to cold idle RPM, usually 1200 - 1500.

But its so loud its making me think there's something loose....

Because I have the clutch engaged, im sure it isnt any part of the drive-train as it never makes the noise again until next cold start-up.

I think it might be the starter motor.... but its functioning fine.

Any thoughts from you tecys / more experienced 350z owners?

standard 2003 jap import

Fitstly check your engine oil and then get the car looked at for an informed diagnoses. :thumbs:

Engine oil is half way, and only changed 2k ago.

Looks like I will need to get someone to get under it and take a look, just wondering if you guys could narrow down the problem as by debit card isn't such a happy bunny as it was a month ago.

Thank god.

Thanks for your help guys, im using 5w30 too so the oil is pretty thin.

Feeling better about it now, will top her up tonight.

Wise to mix 5w30 with 10w40? I would rather have thicker oil for the winter. Maybe ill change it.