For those with a Nismo or other heavy spoiler

cmmd11483

I have the Nismo V2 spoiler fitted to my car and even with the balast weight removed the boot would not pop open when you press the button or stay up when open. I asked on here if anyone knew a solution and the general answer was to buy uprated gas struts from the US for around £120. Well after a little research I can now advise a much cheaper solution which is to have your original struts re-gassed for only £35 here in the UK.

All you have to do is remove the original struts and send them to SGS Engineering (address below), state you would like your struts re-gassd to 700N (originally 400N from the factory) and supply a contact number and return address. When they have completed the regas and tested them they will contact you for payment then return the struts the following day. Easy.

To remove the struts you will need a 10mm socket and 12mm spanner. The top bolts can be a bit of a bugger to remove so you have to ensure the 12mm spanner is tight in against the bolt to stop it from turning the edges off the hex.

My boot now pops open and with a small push will lift and stay up itself.

Contact address is

SGS Engineering (UK) Ltd

Unit A6 Cranmer Road

West Meadows Estate

Derby

DE21 6JL

Nice work but am interested to see how long they stay gassed up at that pressure, i did hear from another company that does this type of stuff that the seals are normally rated to certain pressures, looking good if they are rated to 800n.

Also how long does it take to get done? By return? Relying on the post at the moment it could be 3 weeks!

And another thing on the removal of the struts... its better as a 2 man job or at least make sure you support the boot with a broom stick or something! The boot is bloody heavy and could cause injury if your not careful!

3FIDDYZ, The stock ones can be regassed to a max of 1200N.

After the regas the date and pressure are stamped on to the struts and they come with a guarantee. So if the regas fails within the warranty period (2 years think) they will discount the cost of the regas against new struts which are £65 from memory. When they receive the struts they give them a health check to ensure they are fit for regas if not they will contact you to see if you would like new struts attached to the nissan fixings or have them sent back to you.

In my case they were turned around within 3 days of me sending them. It's win win as far as I can see.

3FIDDYZ, The stock ones can be regassed to a max of 1200N.

After the regas the date and pressure are stamped on to the struts and they come with a guarantee. So if the regas fails within the warranty period (2 years think) they will discount the cost of the regas against new struts which are £65 from memory. When they receive the struts they give them a health check to ensure they are fit for regas if not they will contact you to see if you would like new struts attached to the nissan fixings or have them sent back to you.

In my case they were turned around within 3 days of me sending them. It's win win as far as I can see.

Nice one mate, good to know, I went with the uprated ones from Envy for the rears and the adjustable ones at the front due to having an after market bonnet (nice touch for those with a CF bonnet as you can adjust to suit the weight of the bonnet and not snap it in 1/2!!)

Good to have alternatives :thumbs:

where excatly is this guide - I've tried searching for it but no joy?

Remove plastic covering in the boot lid (pull from the window side)

When plastic is removed, you will see a rectangular weight in the boot lid held by 4 screws.. 10mm spanner, remove.

While your there remove the rear windscreen wiper and motor and bung the hole with a rubber gromet from halfrauds...!!

Replace plastic.

Close boot.

Stand back, drink tea (or coffee and smoke fag if your taht way inclined!), pick up weight and wonder why its soo heavy and why its there... (and also marvel how good your hatch looks shaved if you have removed the wiper.. and then coat the screen with rain-x... !)

where excatly is this guide - I've tried searching for it but no joy?

Remove plastic covering in the boot lid (pull from the window side)

When plastic is removed, you will see a rectangular weight in the boot lid held by 4 screws.. 10mm spanner, remove.

While your there remove the rear windscreen wiper and motor and bung the hole with a rubber gromet from halfrauds...!!

Replace plastic.

Close boot.

Stand back, drink tea (or coffee and smoke fag if your taht way inclined!), pick up weight and wonder why its soo heavy and why its there... (and also marvel how good your hatch looks shaved if you have removed the wiper.. and then coat the screen with rain-x... !)

Excellent, thanks for that! Now just gotta decide on taking off the wiper.....

Thanks also! I'll grab a trim removal tool on way home methinks.

lol, how random, i decide to do this last week as a last ditch effort to get my boot up, i can imagen that weight really makes mush of a differance tho?... i decided whilst at the weight reduction to remove the wiper too, i think it looks much better now, surprisingly doesnt take very long either

All you have to do is remove the original struts and send them to SGS Engineering (address below), state you would like your struts re-gassd to 700N (originally 400N from the factory) and supply a contact number and return address. When they have completed the regas and tested them they will contact you for payment then return the struts the following day. Easy.

Has anyone else actually used this company yet?

I'm thinking of getting mine done seen as the ballast removal didn't help matters. The only thing I'm concerned about am I supposed to just send my struts to company with a letter asking them what to do and they do it, do I not need to contact the company first to arrange with them?

Is this definitely only £35?

Yes, I've had it done that's why I originally posted this thread. My boot works great now, stick the company name into google if you want to email them first. Like I said before though, if you don't have a big spoiler get a lower pressure otherwise you'll struggle to get the boot closed.

I made an enquiry with them a couple of days ago and received the following;

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your enquiry, is the spoiler an after-market product? When the car was new the struts would have had 400N in them, we can gas these struts up to 1200N depending on your requirements. We would need your old struts to remove the brackets to fit to our new struts. You will need to supply me with the Part Number which is printed on the gas struts on your car to make sure you receive the correct struts.

New struts are available at a cost of £63.81 for the pair delivered (£24.99 per strut plus £5.50 carriage and VAT), are covered by a two year guarantee and are available on next day delivery.

Some struts can be re-gassed depending on their condition so a visual inspection by us must be made in order to assess your struts, which is free of charge. If you try a re-gas and it fails within the warranty period we will discount the cost of the re-gas from new gas struts purchased from SGS Engineering. A re-gas is £35.08 delivered for the pair (£12.50 per strut plus £5.50 carriage and VAT) and struts are usually turned around within three working days. Payment can be made via credit/debit card and you will be contacted for payment once your struts have been tested.

Only issue is my struts don't seem to have a part number that I can see yet, I'll be sending them off this weekend though.