Pinoeer AVH-4100DVD (FINISHED)

chippy

I presume that if you fit the Pioneer bluetooth the ICT steering wheel control cable won't work for the phone functions and that the cable is for the headunit's audio only?

I haven't bothered with the BT adaptor myself though, but maybe something to consider at a later date.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DD facia will be slightly too large for the unit as it is made for two SD units with a separator. When you cut the separator out you increase the size of the hole by that much over a DD spec. Looks a bit of a mess to start with :thumbdown: . I've got a hold of some leather that nearly matches the alezan interior which I intend to fit into the gap, not got round to doing it yet tho.

I doubt you'll use the cage in the install (I didn't) as the central console has its own cage, the DD facia will slot into it nicely.

The RCA plugs from the ICT loom should plug into the cable supplied with the Pioneer kit. That is unless Pioneer pull the same trick with you as they played with me and supply a cable without speaker RCA outputs (only sub) and loudly claim this model doesn't require the additional outputs while putting their fingers in their ears and humming loudly over any response I might make. Their customer service sucks. Don't even bother, seriously.

I paid a pro £45 to splice in RCA connectors from the higher level outputs. He also provided signal boosters for the lines and my god do they boost the signal. If I turn the bass and volume up (not all the way up, I like my bones to remain in a solid state) the sub stops being sound and starts being a strange feeling of being assaulted by the air from all sides at once.

The headunit does come with a largish square double din sized black plastic piece with a 1.5" border, which it says to install if there's any gaps, so I'll try that perhaps. I'm going to take the console out tonight (dont need the car for a few days) and try and get the HU installed - will post pics if I manage it!

I think the RCA's just need plugging into the female RCA outputs in the back of the HU. I just presume that I dont need RCAs for the sub and that the amp takes care of sending a signal to it, based on what it receives from the front and rear speaker inputs.

The 4100 has a 4v output, so volume should, hopefully, be fine :teeth:

right, I've now taken the console out and after a bit of faffing around have the HU fitted with no ugly gaps. I used the extra Pionerer plastic trim, which needed cutting down quite a bit, but easy to do - just score with a Stanley and then bend along the score line to break off. This then sits between the DD facia and the head unit - the side were fine just gappy top and bottom. I used some double sided tape on the underside of the facia to hold the trim in place which has also bent the trim to the same curve as the facia.

I'm yet to connect it all up, so i'm hoping that the front of the HU doesn't catch on the trim or facia when the front slides down to pop a CD in....time will tell and maybe a little bit of trimming might be needed later on, although the bottom of the HU does extend slightly more than the facia as it is, so I might be alright :)

Anyway, looks nice I think:-

AVH21.JPG

AVH23.JPG

AVH25.JPG

AVH26.JPG

quick update for anyone following the install in the future.....i popped the HU out of the console and hooked up the wiring to check everything was ok.

The loudness is spot on - 9 on the Pioneer volume was comfortably loud and the sound quality was excellent.

Unfortunately the DVD bypass hasn't arrived yet and with the strike I'm not expecting it before the weekend when I'm going to finalise the install, so i'll have to leave that for another day, but I might consider going down the relay route - there a YouTube tutorial

on how to do it, so might try that and if it works I'll just sell the bypass I ordered.

The 29-007 steering wheel cable is definately the WRONG one. The volume doesnt work at all and the skip rocker turns the volume down but not up. The voice button acts as a mute and the phone does nothing. I'll speak to Sextons tommorrow and either get them to send a 29-020 or call ICT direct, so that's another job I'll need to put off for now.

Apart from that the unit looks great. It also slides down and moves back in when loading a cd and only very slightly catches the plastic trim that I used, but nothing major so i'll leave it as is.

All sorted. The back of the headunit actually has quite a bit of spare space, so it wasn't too hard to hide the wires, but I stuffed as much as I could down the gaps at the side. Only major hassle was realising after I'd put the console back in that a plug out of the loom had come astray and to remove the bl**dy thing again to fix it. :bang:

As luck would have it the DVD bypass arrived yesterday so no need to try the relay route. I just need to wait for the replacement steering wheel control cable, which I'll fit when I get chance and may consider fitting the Pioneer bluetooth module at the same time.

The ipod connection works fine and I routed it to the centre console cubby, removing the entire Nissan bluetooth module.

AVH30.JPG

AVH34.JPG

AVH33.JPG

looking great :thumbs:

is that the factory nav above ?

also sounds like from that vid you posted the pioneer handbrake has to be switched to work , mines just permantly gounded and works fine so i guess its different for other makes .

also must say youve got great fitment of that surrround .

also sounds like from that vid you posted the pioneer handbrake has to be switched to work , mines just permantly gounded and works fine so i guess its different for other makes .

Thanks guys.

The Satnav is Nurrish's custom jobby. Which reminds me - Nurrish I've plugged the RCA cables off the Satnav into the headunit audio L+R inputs and the yellow one into the ext video in. For some reason it doesnt seem to want to come out on the Headunit, even just the sound. Any ideas? Maybe I need to have a bit of a play around with it.

Thanks guys.

The Satnav is Nurrish's custom jobby. Which reminds me - Nurrish I've plugged the RCA cables off the Satnav into the headunit audio L+R inputs and the yellow one into the ext video in. For some reason it doesnt seem to want to come out on the Headunit, even just the sound. Any ideas? Maybe I need to have a bit of a play around with it.

What are you trying to do buddy?

i was hoping that I could get the sound from the satnav into the headunit, so that it came out through the car speakers?

Ahhhhh i see what your doing. Those cables are for the input mate. So you can display video on the sat nav. On the unit there is another jack that is the aux for the sound output. This needs to be plugged into your stereo

It comes with a long 1.5m or so lead that has a male socket that connects to the head unit and a female end that you either plug the ipod cable or a USB key into. I routed mine to the centre console and had no need to use a USB key so just plugged the USB socket into the ipod cable into it and then just that piece of it away under the console floor

Another quick update.

Whilst fitting the 29-020 steering cable at the weekend I accidentally knocked off the satnav power cables. When I reconnected the cables and switched the ignition on to check it was OK, the headunit came on....what was strange is that the ground cables I'd soldered in (as per the thread on how to prepare the ISO loom) weren't grounded!

I can only presume that you don't need to add any ground wires to the loom and can literally just plug the loom in the car plugs and headunit and away you go - no dicking about!

Another quick update.

Whilst fitting the 29-020 steering cable at the weekend I accidentally knocked off the satnav power cables. When I reconnected the cables and switched the ignition on to check it was OK, the headunit came on....what was strange is that the ground cables I'd soldered in (as per the thread on how to prepare the ISO loom) weren't grounded!

I can only presume that you don't need to add any ground wires to the loom and can literally just plug the loom in the car plugs and headunit and away you go - no dicking about!

Usually extra grounds are added to keep nice, clean grounding preventing unwanted interference etc :)

Another quick update.

Usually extra grounds are added to keep nice, clean grounding preventing unwanted interference etc :)

+1 I've had instances in the past, when running a Pioneer AVIC-X1R with aftermarket amps & speakers, somehow something's gone wrong with the earthing and it's buggered up the signal from the pre-outs, sI tarted getting engine interferance through the amp'd subs & speakers.

I'm looking at getting this unit VERY shortly - Credit card needs to get pounded! :yahoo:

Can anyone tell me if i can get all the cables etc from one place with no dicking about which would include the CORRECT steering wheels controls? Also, it looks like Chippy on here has used a combination of 2 Fascia's? Is this right as i find it quite hard to understand? Is there a specific one that i need so it doesn't look like crap? I don't want to spend shed loadsa hard earned and it look rubbish.

The cheapest place i see on the net is this place....

http://www.caraudioni.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=2228

It's £385. Has anyone bought anything from this place and can vouch they are good?

Many thanks people... I will upload piccies when complete. :p