JDM exhaust quieter than UK?

nixy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

While at xscape I let the guys listen to my standard exhaust. They were amazed that there is no noise from the back as well. It never helped that I was parked next to James who blipped his next to mine – quite funny though.

SO other than the suggestion of “put a hole in it†(thanks Neil) what can it be when it looks identical to a UK one?

Do any of our traders know the answer? :wacko:

because the zorsts look exactly the same - SO being untechnical as I am, i need to know first - is it something thats been done to my exhaust that i can just recitfy without the bother of taking it off? Can't think what though........

ok ive done some research for you and here you go. btw if i change my exhaust your welcome to the old one. :)

JAPAN:

Mufflers when tested for noise output will be tested at a 45 degree angle at a 50 cm distance.

For vehicles 10 years and younger the max level allowed is 96 dB (decibels). For vehicles over 10 years of age the max level allowed is 103 dB.

UK:

Basically there is no legislation in the UK that sets a max noise limit for production cars. There is for motorbikes, and for kit cars and specials, but not for production cars.

It is an offence under C&U (I think it is) to modify the exhaust so that it is noisier than "standard". It is not an offence for the exhaust to be noisy if that is how the car was made.

References: wikipedia and pistonheads

and as for removing something to make it UK sounding, i have no idea but my best guess would be there is a built in baffle or something in yours suppressing/attenuating the noise. if your lucky it could just be an extra bit added onto the line to damp/attenuate the sound and you could just cut it off and weld the hole. but most likely it will be integrated.

ok ive done some research for you and here you go. btw if i change my exhaust your welcome to the old one. :)

JAPAN:

Mufflers when tested for noise output will be tested at a 45 degree angle at a 50 cm distance.

For vehicles 10 years and younger the max level allowed is 96 dB (decibels). For vehicles over 10 years of age the max level allowed is 103 dB.

UK:

Basically there is no legislation in the UK that sets a max noise limit for production cars. There is for motorbikes, and for kit cars and specials, but not for production cars.

It is an offence under C&U (I think it is) to modify the exhaust so that it is noisier than "standard". It is not an offence for the exhaust to be noisy if that is how the car was made.

Like I said before....

Japanese legislation will most likely be the root of the matter.

Their "SHAKEN" is pretty strict. (SHAKEN = jap equivalent of our MOT)

Oh well...another post ignored..... :thumbdown:

it wasn't ignored, i always thought the likely reason was the jap law - what i really wanted to know was technically what they'd done to the exhaust - can't help it i've got an over analytical mind.......i'm a bit like a dog with a bone when i want to know something (yes insert comments if you like.........)

JAPAN:

UK:

Like I said before....

Japanese legislation will most likely be the root of the matter.

Their "SHAKEN" is pretty strict. (SHAKEN = jap equivalent of our MOT)

Oh well...another post ignored..... :thumbdown:

sorry mate, i was quickly skimming through. if id seen it i would have quoted you. no hard feelings eh :)