Oettle Mod?

Dblock

My brother has a boxster and he is going to do an Oettle or bypass mod. Basically it makes the car sound mad under acceleration but is the same at steady speeds. All it is, Is a pipe coming from before the silencers to the tips via a small pipe. But no butterfly valves or anything. Would this be possible on a 350z?

clicky

Because Nissan didn't design a trick exhaust. It's a standard design so there's nothing you can do with it in that way.

Did you even read the write up? I dont see why you cant take a pipe or two pre silencer to past the silencer like on the link for a 911 or like this on a boxster link. Its two pipes before the silencer coming to the tips. This makes it sound nice under load but no drone or noise when at steady speeds or idle.

on that porsche the engine is in the rear, that pipe connects the rear exit straight to a point before the cats.

the only way you could do that on the zed is with a 1.5 metre tube.

the layout of the zed means you can't do it as you'd have to do it before the centre silencer, and then all the way to the tips.

actually thinking about it, you'd ahve to go from the Y-pipe and do 2, one for each side. othewise it would sound funny.

its just not feasible on this car.

if you had mid engine or rear engine layout then yes its possible.

on that porsche the engine is in the rear, that pipe connects the rear exit straight to a point before the cats.

the only way you could do that on the zed is with a 1.5 metre tube.

the layout of the zed means you can't do it as you'd have to do it before the centre silencer, and then all the way to the tips.

actually thinking about it, you'd ahve to go from the Y-pipe and do 2, one for each side. othewise it would sound funny.

its just not feasible on this car.

if you had mid engine or rear engine layout then yes its possible.

Thank you thats the type of answer I was looking for. :thumbs:

the only thing you could do is something like the aston, and have a butterfly valve thats connected to a seperate pipe coming off after the cats.

thing is that isn't cheap as you'd need 2, but they could be electronically controlled so you could set the volume, tone etc.

you'd be basically running 2 systems, you could have completely stock, or completely non stock, basically a manifold to outside vents.

or you could set it anywhere between the 2.

but to be hones with the money needed to be spent to do that, your better off going aftermarket. and if i was to do it, i'd only do it to an aftermarket exhaust as it would be stainless to start with.

if you do it to stock, the original exhaust will rot out around it.

You can do this on the MY06+ Gallardo, it does sound better, but just buy a proper set up imo...........

I am buying an exhaust soon but this way it stops drone but you get a better noise. Its not possible on the 350z but i thought about getting it done before buying an exhaust

Did you even read the write up?

If you'd have read the write up properly yourself you'd have realised why it's a stupid idea without Rich having to explain it all for you. ;)

Besides, if you buy the right exhaust in the first place you won't get any drone.