Stock Cats

Martin W

Just dropped in to one of the Big Exhaust Chains to find out where a rattling noise was coming from on the left undereside of the car.

Nothing obviously loose, opinion seemed to be its the passenger side Cat on the way out!

Can anyone tell me if they've had this happen, how would you describe the sound?

The car has just done 33,000 so doesn't seem too bad.

How long do they normally reckon to last?

:thumbs:

Will you need the mapping adjusted with the freer flowing exhaust in place? With it being a turbo I wonder how much difference the sports cat would make.

I'm not after more Power really Stew. I spoke to Mark at Abbey a couple of months ago about a few things, and anything that helps heat dissipate can only help.

Its interesting that I lost the Drivers side Cat at about 25,000 miles prior to going FI. The pax side one lasted another 8,000 after conversion. So i don't really think FI is relevant. I'm just curious how long other peoples last. It bmight be more relevant that I only have a 7 mile commute each way, so the engine isn't really ever warming up :blush:

I also note that APS insist on a True Dual exhaust to maintain the warranty. But they do not insist on Decats/ Hi flows which could net them a few ponies more.

I had a Ford where the cat went at 25k, I'm curious at what mileage other people have had to change.?

Will you need the mapping adjusted with the freer flowing exhaust in place? With it being a turbo I wonder how much difference the sports cat would make.

I'm not after more Power really Stew. I spoke to Mark at Abbey a couple of months ago about a few things, and anything that helps heat dissipate can only help.

Its interesting that I lost the Drivers side Cat at about 25,000 miles prior to going FI. The pax side one lasted another 8,000 after conversion. So i don't really think FI is relevant. I'm just curious how long other peoples last. It bmight be more relevant that I only have a 7 mile commute each way, so the engine isn't really ever warming up :blush:

I also note that APS insist on a True Dual exhaust to maintain the warranty. But they do not insist on Decats/ Hi flows which could net them a few ponies more.

I had a Ford where the cat went at 25k, I'm curious at what mileage other people have had to change.?

I wasn't sure how the mapping changed with increase of flow rather than tuning for outright power... I have no knowledge of FI really so was curious.

I hit 53k on the hoon and I'm unsure if my car has had cats done or not. My landie cat failed at 82k though! :lol:

I hit 53k on the hoon and I'm unsure if my car has had cats done or not. My landie cat failed at 82k though! :lol:

I'm on 76k, stock cats, going in for MOT this week. Andy (CS mechanic) said they were in v. good condition for their age! Fingers crossed they pass! :scare:

Get TGM to fit them, they have experience now having done my decats/ sports cats a few times...

A few times? Think its a bit more than that now isnt it? :lol:

Just got the call that my car passed the MOT, stock cats ok @ 76k miles. Think Martin has been unlucky, but what a good excuse to get Berks ;)