Check Admiral, Direct Line, Bell etc small print

Jammy007

Did a quick search and found nothing and I'm just busy reading the policy to see if this still applies as its taken from an old thread on the mini2 forums.

But to cut a long story short its about Admiral and I'd assume it would apply to Bell, Direct Line and possibly even Tesco (not sure about the last one though).

They insure the car fine and dandy but when it comes to claiming they are only willing to pay out against the standard base model. So that means us owners with a GT pack or the optional Rays alloys, or Nismo kit which is factory fitted will only get a insurance payout against a 350z Base model.

Like I said it may need checked. I'm a bit peeved off with that to be fair if thats the case as the zeds been insured with Admiral for the past 12 months and is up for renewal very shortly.

Here's the thread on the mini forums:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/finance-insurance/41373-elephant-co-uk-insurance-warning.html

Just with that many people finding Admiral to be the cheapest it would be a shame if someone on here got caught out by them.

This is taken from page 13 of the Direct Line Insurance Policy

Accessories – parts or products specifi cally designed to be fitted to your car. We may treat some accessories as modifications, so please tell us about any alterations to your car.

and this from page 14

Market value – the cost of replacing your car with another of the same make and model and of a similar age and condition at the time of the accident or loss. If you bought your car at lower price than would normally be found in UK trade guides, we will reduce the market value accordingly.

There is an option on the site to change the model from a Nissan 350z coupe to a GT coupe but reading the T&C's I'm not sure how much this will help?!

Link to the policy document

https://uk2.directline.com/motor/carpolicydoc.pdf

i've been with admiral for the last 3 years, never noticed anything like that, and i generall yhave a good read through the paper work. it might be the case, but i'm sure i organised with Admiral a like for like repalcement on my policy; regarding my mods.

will have to have a read when i get home :dry:

mines insured as a 350z gt, all they said to me is they'll pay out market calue etc, this is normal for all insurance companies surely? hence i bought gap insurance when i got the car and when i had my hightly modified corrado insured before i stripped it i had all mods named and individually valued and an agreed valuation on the car, this cost about 30% more than other companies through HIC but it gives you piece of mind!

It just says it would be replaced with a similar make and model. It doesn't say that they'd also give you one with the same pack (GT pack) or optional extra's (Rays alloys or Nismo).

I'm not saying I'm correct and would love to be proved wrong as I'm wanting to go to Admiral for my insurance. Other than Elephant (about £30 more expensive) then the rest are coming in at nearly £400+

I was going to renew with admiral, but the only reason i didnt, is because of my mods, SKY threw the club, have insured my car and cover all mods like for like, where admiral dont, they cover them but wont pay out for them. So in that instance would only pay out for a 350z u.k spec GT. As for the GT parts, im not to sure, but never heard nothing like this. Be very intresting to know though ................ for future ............

When I made a write-off claim with Direct Line years ago, the assessor asked me about optional extras fitted to the car and increased the payout to take account of those, so I think factory options are okay - modifications using non-Nissan parts would not be covered as far as I know unless you have an agreement with the insurance company specific for these. I often wondered about the Nismo aero kit as this was a factory fit option, so should be covered under a normal policy even though they may argue it's an after market body kit?

When i worked in insurance the car is covered like for like, therefore if your insuring a GT spec 350z, all the factory fitted options are covered too. in the same way that your insurance is invalid if you put the wrong car in the paperwork, an insurance company cant provide compensation for an alternative car.

If the small print states otherwise, and they confirm this on the phone, im sure trading standards would have a field day. :lol:

Cheers Rich :thumbs:

Just worth asking on the phone when I take out the policy thats all.

I was thinking about the trading standards route as they're surely mis-selling the insurance and would open up the proverbial can of worms a bit like the PPI mis-selling and things.

just to let you know elephant is a sister company of admiral, so runs the same policy ;)

+1 - I swapped between them for a few years, always getting the ew customers special offer prices :teeth:

This is the thing which has always puzzled me about insurance companies, I have 9 years plus no claims and I guarantee it with my insurance as I don't want to lose it if I happen to make a mistake one day. But I have to move from company to company every year or so.

I was with Admiral and had a cracking deal, come renewal time and the premium went up so I moved to More Than, then when renewal day came it had gone up so moved back to Admiral who were cheap again compared to the last renewal...

Every other business knows that it's cheaper to keep a customer than find a new one, so who do insurance companies treat us this way, it must actually cost them millions a year by boosting their renewal premiums.

My Insurance was £800 last year (first year of zed ownership). Renewal is around £720.

Went on confused and guess who's sat at the top of the page, you guessed it, admiral. With a price of £526 for exactly the same insurance as my renewal.

Thats the bit that gets me! :rant:

People must be mad to just let their insurance automatically renew.

Will Admiral let me sign up as a new customer as I now have a quote sitting in my admiral account?

Obviously the majority dont realise, otherwise they wouldnt do it to start with. It must be making the insurance companies money otherwise they would do you a better deal. However, if you call up having done a new customer deal, they will honour it if you are a renewing customer. Being on a multicar policy this time around, we couldnt just leave, but Admiral honoured (and beat) their own new customer quote, it just takes a call to them :thumbs:

We had a rays alloy replaced on the roadster as part of an insurance claim with direct line. The Rays were not standard acros the range at the time, and were an option on the roadster. Direct Line replaced the wheel without question.

Hardly a major test case, but at least its something.

Chesterfield thats good enough for me! At least it proves that they have helped people in the past with no problems with regards to the Rays alloys.

I'll still ask as a double check while I'm on the phone nearer the time and report back if there's anything to worry about :boxing:

Why, o why, do I have to read forums and find more things to get worried about....

Of course both on the registration and insurance documents there is no mention of a GT pack - which we do have. So I call Direct Line to check this - and naturally a discussion with no end follows, me trying to explain what the GT pack is (they've never heard of it) and the customer support girl insisting that "I'm fine as long as what's written on the reg is the same as on the insurance" but she's also asking me if I declared any "optional extras"? So we kind of left it at "I'm fine" but I'm not convinced now and I'll probably call again - and boy I hope they don't increase the premium.

Why am I doing this again? :bang::bang::bang:

Just to let everyone know, I did call Direct Line and explained the GT issue again - they said that the everything that comes in the GT pack needs to be added as optional extras to the insurance (that is the cruise control, Bose and heated seats, plus, in my case, the RAYS). Luckily, the premium remained the same - but they did issue a new certificate. So I'd say, for your peace of mind, it may be worth checking with your provider that your GT pack is properly insured.