i've been offered a car for free, sorn for 4 years

lilsheepshagga_turbo

hi guys....

ive been offered a car for free today. its a R reg 2.2 vtec prelude. the car has never been crashed etc, one of my friends emigrated ages ago and its been sat on another mates drive for roughly 4-5 years. i was thinking this could be an intresting project maybe to strip out, add a few ponies to it. sorta a road going touring car :D

anywhoo the car hasnt moved for 4-5 years.. obviously the battery will be dead and brakes completely seized on, petrol gone off etc.. is there anything i should think about before maybe trying to start it up? ie will it explode in a shower of vtec bolts etc???

cheers in advance guys

-ho

you might be surprised at how easy that gets going.

BM had a prelude before the Zed, and i looked at one a while back, they are good cars, and the engines ar ebullet proof as long as they have been serviced on the correct intervals etc.

even if you just got it running and sold it you'd make a few bob or 2.

well plan is... go down, try n get it to tick over via jump leads or maybe even new battery.. then get sum1 to tow it back to my house (maybe on a low loader or summin)

well its literally been untouched for 4 years so it'll have no service intervals as such but prior to that he was a car nut so i can imagine it being kept fairly well. only other issue is sum1 tried to break in and has keyed the hell out of the drivers door.

hrmmm...

You never know...this could be a huge potential of a car (with enough cash). Change spark plugs if need be and replace oil and any other liquids. As for the car door - get that wrap stuff on it and totally change the colour of the car.

Put some new alloys, exhaust, wrap, and a good old clean up with battery and you never know what it may lead too! :thumbs:

well the plans ive got running in my head thus far is

strip it: door cards,dash,ac unit, sound proofing, rear seats.

coilovers

brakes

arbs

but i might not strip it so thouroughly. ie might keep dash n back seats.

hahah but i need it to go through an mot before all the this can take place. might even drop it off for a service at honda :D

If its was me, drain oil without running it.....add new cheap stuff and new filter.

Then disconnect electric/leads and turn over on starter for a few mins......

remember after 4-5 years the oil will be knackered and will have totally drained out all pipes to the bottom, therefore there could be rust in place there should not be.. If you thrash it on first start with oil drained and rusty internals then could seize/go bang and would be expensive car after all.

Would then run on cheap oil for a few 100 and change for decent stuff.

Would also change water, no anti freeze at first then drain after few 100 miles. then change with correct amount of anti-freeze this time.

IF its been under covers for this time check for rust all over including break lines. (if they are dead then will get picked up on MOT anyway)

Change tyres even if they look good, the tyre wall will be knacked/stressed and if you take on track might be very costly lesson.

If its was me, drain oil without running it.....add new cheap stuff and new filter.

Then disconnect electric/leads and turn over on starter for a few mins......

remember after 4-5 years the oil will be knackered and will have totally drained out all pipes to the bottom, therefore there could be rust in place there should not be.. If you thrash it on first start with oil drained and rusty internals then could seize/go bang and would be expensive car after all.

Would then run on cheap oil for a few 100 and change for decent stuff.

Would also change water, no anti freeze at first then drain after few 100 miles. then change with correct amount of anti-freeze this time.

IF its been under covers for this time check for rust all over including break lines. (if they are dead then will get picked up on MOT anyway)

Change tyres even if they look good, the tyre wall will be knacked/stressed and if you take on track might be very costly lesson.

Bloody hell, hello stranger :D

Sorry chaps been tied up recently with hols and getting a duratec conversion to the elise. Caterham still needs fixing but just cannot get off my ass to do it. Just pop back every now and again just to see what's up and see how many have made the jump to a GT-R (too much history to be actively involved).

I do not drive in LoTRDC as no where near good enough (in fact quite slow). I know a few of the drivers and work with Pitchy, and Steve W did my engine conversion. Been doing LoT days for a few years now so also know Paul G. Now booked another Walshy day as need training since Le Mans proved I have a long long way to go.

Well worth going to see them as always a great race and Cadwell next week.