Fitting rear camera to JDM screen-PICS at last!

rickya

Check to see if your sat nav unit is connected to some kind of SV connector unit. Mine has this kind of SV junction box into which you can connect a dvd/tv/ps2, anything on an SV connection. But what ever you plug in has to be NTSC type not PAL what we use in the UK. (Also has to work on 60Hz screeen, not 50Hz). I have tried PAL Dvd players & PAL cameras but you get no picture or flickering black & white picture, must be NTSC. Or you can by PAL to NTSC convertors which means you may be able to plug in a Pal dvd player as long as it is 60Hz compatible.

Best thing I have thought to plug into this box is a small Camera unit. I have a rear Impul wing (as well as no parking sensors), therefore visibility out of the back is like looking out of a letterbox! I have ordered off Ebay, from Hong Kong a small NTSC camrea which has SV connections (£14 total). It can be powered through the power socket in the back of the car. Hopefully if all works (fix camera inside tailgate window) out will have a permenant colour screen showing me whats behind at all times.

Will update in the comming weeks on progress, if it works will post pics. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: Camera arrived today & after a quick test, would you believe it, it works!! :D:teeth:

So just need to decide where to mount it, either 1) high up behind tailgate glass (next to brakelight) or 2) in bumper or 3) behind reg plate. The latter two options involve a lot more work & problems from rain, car washes, & vandals put me off. Also if I am going to fit parking sensors anyway I would rather use this camera as a 2nd rear view camera, hence 1st option. This would be better as simpler to get to if anything goes wrong & cant see bugger all out of rear view mirror due to spoiler & tint.(will have to cut out a tiny bit out of tint where lens sits though).

Will hopefully have it done this week. :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome :D - Just found out about this forum a few days ago by accident! It looks great, and seems to have a nice atmosphere :teeth:

I can't fit the lense in the dot on the plate for legal reasons, and to be honest it's more discrete where it is, plus the angle means you can always see the white lines / curbs at the back of parking spaces right upto where the exhaust is about 2 inches away. Nobody has ever noticed that I have it fitted in the 12 months it's been there!

CDR,

Welcopme to the site. Hope all is well out in France.

Is there a way you can invert the signal (correct it). I know you can get some camera's that do this inside the camera itself.

Thanks for the welcome - all is well on the continent - but I do miss blighty sometimes - especially the car scene/rule regarding mods etc.

The camera is already reversing the image - so what I see on the screen is what I would see if I looked in a rear view mirror.

• 3 weeks later...

Well been a bit busy with other things like spending too much time & money on getting the spare key made! :wacko: Also getting these things together at a reasonable price.

Have got the extra long AV leads (5metres) off ebay for about £5.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290009303502&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMERFB%3AIID&rd=1

As you know the NTSC camera also from ebay for £11:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130003468567&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMERFB%3AIID&rd=1

And last week this little bargain to hide the clarion screen, as was missing, for £20:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220013391029&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMERFB%3AIID&rd=1

Now for spare some time to put it all together!! :yuck:

Yeah Mike, all I need is a tough bit of clear perspex or plastic to cover the camera (from inside the tailgate) as there are few holes in the tailgate around the number plate area.

Have decided to mount it either to the side of the squre JDM plate or cut a hole in the reg plate middle. Havent removed the reg plate, all will depend where the holes & space is in tailgate.

Also have to find a live wire to power the camera, ideally near the back of tha car. (well always live once ignition is turned on). I think the Bose is always powered on after turning ignition as I can hear a faint electrical humming sound from the amp or speakers behind me. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually had it done today. I was having parking sensors fitted & so while the rear bumper was off I got them to also run the wire for the camera & mount it. Needs another 30 mins work tmrw to finish. They need to sort out power as they connected to reverse light & only comes on in reverse!! :angry: So just need to connect to a ignition or maybe bose wire somewhere. Also I need to neaten up the number plate area to waterproof camera a little & conceal some more. Finally modify the Stanav cubby hole lid to somehow cover screen as good as possible. (Screen is too big too close lid & it needs something to cover it when parked in public places)

Will hopefully post pics this weekend once all is done. :yahoo:

They already have. The problem is, camera only comes on when in reverse gear. I want camera powered all the time, so that it can be used more as a rear view mirror. I dont really want it for parking as I have just fitted parking sensors.

AAHhhhhh! Iv had enough!! I fitted the rear view camera upto by JDM screen. It works- yeah! All I had left to do was make a nice concealing flush bit of perspex to water proof it & neaten it up. But then discovered just now that it shows the image in the screen the wrong way round i.e left is on the right in the screen & vice versa! I tried turning the camera up side down & image goes up side down so its not that. Is it that in cheap cameras they are missing an extra lens? Or do I need some sort of extra component. I have also found this problem in another rear camera I have which is Uk PAL spec. Any ideas?

I would strongly advise against it, and it would render the screen backward for everything else! but if you are adamant that you want to do this.....

most LCD displays are built up from seveal components in layers consisting of (from viewing side to back).

protective cover/film - could be rigid or soft plastic

polarising filter - a thin almost clear sheet of plastic, may be combined with the protective layer

the LCD sandwich - glass/crystal/glass structure itself

another polarising filter at 90 degrees to the first

backlight/sidelight or electroluminescant layer.

This is all very interesting :yawn: but the point is, if the construction will allow it and you are careful you could potentially reverse the LCD sandwich and hey presto your image will be flipped left to right. But beware, you may also have to swap the polarisers or the luminecense could be inverted (light bits will be dark and dark bits light).

Clearly this all depends on the construction detail of the LCD, how confident you are about undertking this and how upset you will be if you try and end up with a broken panel......

• 2 months later...

I have just finished this god dam never ending mod!! :headhurt:

Well it took extra long as I had the wrong camrea fitted! So after lightening my wallet a bit more yesterday finally finished the job & the results are amazing :teeth: I will have to post some pics this weekend. It pretty much renders the rear view mirror useless (it was pretty much useless anyway, with the Impul Wing & tints!) as it is always on with the ignition. You can see blemin litter on the road behind you let alone cars :D At night the image is ok due to it being a night vision camera, (but not great) it has those small led type red lights around the camera which come on according to the light sensor. All in all a great little mod especially along with the parking sensors I had previously fitted. :thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110030577062

DSC07584.jpg

ncctvc.jpg