Difference on petrol?

alessandro

It might be a silly question but I'll fire it anyway........

I did read a post asking which kind of petrol is best for the Z and for I've seen most people choosing Esso V-Power, and just to be in the safe side I'll do the same once I'll have my Z ( shortly ) but... What is the difference? I normally go to Tesco because it's near and the cheapest around here. I know that higher octane make the car go "faster" ( is it? ) but didn't know there was a difference in brands too

worth doing a search. This has been discussed a lot.

Basically the higher RON fuels are recommended. Some brands additives are better than others but the actual fuel is the generally the same.

I use Tesco 99 as Tesco is nearby. I will use 95 if that's whats available.

Basically, the higher the RON rating, the better controlled the burning of the petrol. This means that the ECU can be more exact about when to ignite the fuel to get the best (cleanest) possible burn. This didnt use to make that much difference before VVT, but now the engines can adapt to the fuel you give it and detect knock and adapt to that, the higher the octane the cleaner the burn. The cleaner the burn the better MPG you will get. The car is natively (ie in Japan) desgined and mapped for something like 100RON. The closest we originally had over here was 98RON so thats what they recommend. It will adapt to higher RON though, so 99+ is the best. 95RON means it has to retard the timing which gives a worse burn and lower MPG. This is all in very small numbers of course, but when I tested it, Tesco 99RON gave me more MPG than the extra cost per mile over 95RON.

Now apart from the RON rating, other big brands (Shell. BP etc) put in additives. These help clean the engine and reduce deposits of crap in the engine. In theory this should also help the car run smoother and cleaner.

In short, if you can get Tesco 99RON, do it. If not, then try optimax etc and see which is best for you :)

Use the higher rated if you can get it, Look for Tesco's 99 RON or SHELL V-power (it's 98 RON) as the Zed is rated for 98RON

I've just been to Shell, I only got 1/4 tank as they want £1.14 a litre and 95 is only £1.05, it's not 9% more potent so it's cheaper to drive the 15 miles to Tesco and get a tank of their 99RON for £1.07

Talking to the payout chap, while complaining it's not worth 9p a litre more, he said it's 99RON and that's what the flyer says.

never tried other fuels in the z. I've stuck to V-Power for quite some time now.

I ran my golf turbo on tesco 99 for a few weeks, then tried the lower RON V-power and have never looked back since.

Again another exaple of additives vs RON.

additives FTW :thumbs:

Gilly

never tried other fuels in the z. I've stuck to V-Power for quite some time now.

I ran my golf turbo on tesco 99 for a few weeks, then tried the lower RON V-power and have never looked back since.

Gilly

V power is 99 ron :thumbs:http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_pkg/tech_spec/tech_spec.html

There is a review on here somewhere that so

done did. All very scientific, drained fuel lines, and tested on a rolling road etc. Basics of it was; out of all the fuels they tested apparently tesco 99 ron gave the best performance, then optimax, then ultimate, then normal fuels etc. I tend to either use tesco or bp. Occassionally I put sainsburys premium in. Very little in it appart from price really. If you really want to push the boat out, some fuel stations near tracks, like bp at silverstone do 103 ron I think.But only worth doi g if your car is mapped for it really.

There is a review on here somewhere that so

done did. All very scientific, drained fuel lines, and tested on a rolling road etc. Basics of it was; out of all the fuels they tested apparently tesco 99 ron gave the best performance, then optimax, then ultimate, then normal fuels etc. I tend to either use tesco or bp. Occassionally I put sainsburys premium in. Very little in it appart from price really. If you really want to push the boat out, some fuel stations near tracks, like bp at silverstone do 103 ron I think.But only worth doi g if your car is mapped for it really.

I know which your on about, But did they update it for v power?

I can't remember off hand, and not so easy to search on my phone. I thought it was the v-power they did it with originally. And to be honest I think the difference between optimax and v-power would be minimal, think the only difference is the additives used. I would still say tesco is better as you pay a premium for the brand with shell. And all the uk fuel comes from the same 4 refineries. Just mixed differently by the sellers once it gets on there lorries.

Gilly

V power is 99 ron :thumbs:http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_pkg/tech_spec/tech_spec.html

:scare::scare::scare: i could have sworn it dont rate 99 on my local pump. hmmm must investigate. anyways em thanks for clearing up about 2-3 years of confusion on my part :bangin:

Gilly

I've never bought all this petrol ballony. Unless your tracking your car or its FI then any difference is entirely negligible imo. I used to fill the Lambo up with the cheap stuff at Sainsburies :#1: Not because I couldn't afford to put expensive stuff in but I've never noticed any difference and the manual doesn't specify Super, unlike the zed strangely. MPG might of been better but when you only get 140 miles out of a tank a couple more makes no odds really and even if the BHP was lower on the cheaper stuff, you can't tell sitting in traffic in Birmingham :p

I've never bought all this petrol ballony. Unless your tracking your car or its FI then any difference is entirely negligible imo. I used to fill the Lambo up with the cheap stuff at Sainsburies :#1: Not because I couldn't afford to put expensive stuff in but I've never noticed any difference and the manual doesn't specify Super, unlike the zed strangely. MPG might of been better but when you only get 140 miles out of a tank a couple more makes no odds really and even if the BHP was lower on the cheaper stuff, you can't tell sitting in traffic in Birmingham :p

It all depends what the car has been mapped for and the window of the mapping. If the Lambo had been mapped for the UK on 95RON, and if it wasnt able to advance the timing, then there would be no point in shoving 99RON in it. The Zed is mapped for 98RON, so putting 95RON in will lose you power and fuel efficiency. Maybe it cant tweak it for 99RON, but it at least has the timing mapped for 98RON. I also beleive its mapped for 101RON in Japan so it can probably at least handle that.

As I've always said, try it out for yourself and see. Dont listen to forum BS :lol:

Gilly

:scare::scare::scare: i could have sworn it dont rate 99 on my local pump. hmmm must investigate. anyways em thanks for clearing up about 2-3 years of confusion on my part :bangin:

Gilly

Same I swear at the one I got ot it says 98 :wacko:

Gilly

Gilly

Same I swear at the one I got ot it says 98 :wacko:

Yeah, even on the handle now its says 99octone and if you ask the person at the till they says its 99ron aswell.

Not in my experience. I've (unfortunately) used 95, 97, 98, 99 at various times across both Zs and never seen a check light come on

:)

Tesco 99 FTW!!!

Would using a lower octane, say 97 RON esso ultimate make the engine check light come on?

I've also read somewhere that petrol loses octane rating over time, so if you pay to get your V-Power, make sure you do it in a station that's getting a lot of customers, you wouldn't want to buy something that's been sitting in the tank for months. Shouldn't be a problem with Shell or Tesco stations me thinks.

No problem with using anything down to 95RON, the car can wind back the timing to cope, but you will lose power with lower than 98RON.

Also good shout on fresh fuel, although it does take quite some time to drop off I beleive.