bose stereo problems

niksav

Hi

I've just bought an imported 350z (japanese). Obviously the stereo will not pick up uk radio stations.

I have tried an fm band expander but it was crap.

I have asked several audio companies to put me in a new head unit but they failed. They said the wiring to the bose amp is different to uk spec.

All I want to do is put in a new head unit (ipod ready) and listen to uk radio.

Can this be done without changing the bose speakers/amp?

Hope someone can help.

In my experience the answer is no! I ended up paying for another stereo and geting rid of front and sub, the reason being that once the stereo had replaced the original Bose the sound was crap. I'm not sure if it was down to the installation but in the end I had a seperate amp powering the Sub, and the factory amp just powering the speakers. Sounds superb now but it weren't cheap! I've still not quite got the radio working to my liking as every time I put the Zed in reverse the reception goes??! something to do with the Jap Sat Nav which is still installed despite having that replaced too! :rant:

Got JDM with Bose, had frequency shifter fitted before I bought it from dealer. No probs what so ever, sounds perfect. Radio picks up all stations, the only flaw is that all radio stations are close together from about e.g 75khz fm to 95khz. But all that means is that once you find e.g. Capital FM which might be on77.8khz you just save it to a preset & forget about it. IMO Bose sounds excellent compared to even the Harmon Kardon they put in BMW's at over £1,000 & Porsche charge over £1,500 for a Bose sound system! It all depends how far you wnat to go with sounds, in my last car I spent over £800 on sounds, but not now.

My JDM came with a double DIN after-market head unit from Clarion (AddZest in Japan). The importer fitted an expander and I get good reception on all the stations I want. I couldn't get a CD for the SatNav and the DVD plays only NTSC discs (not PAL), but the CD player and the MD changer work fine so I'm keeping it in the meantime. The speakers are the standard units as far as I can tell but it sounds good. :happy:

Jim

Someone obviously doesn't like us!! :angry: Oh well - spent loads on new system but it sounds awesome!!

By the way - love those alloys on your Zed - where'd you get those from??

Think he got them from a guy on eBay. Theyre Ruff Racing 19 inchers :thumbs:

Wish I had some money floating around! Been trying to upgrade for sometime! Need to PX my 17" standard Japs though!!!

I sold my original 17",s on ebay ..they fetched £300 with goodish tyres (if Bridgestones can ever be called goodish :scare: ) they fit SX200,s as well luckily so there is a good market with the 200sx boys wanting to upgrade :thumbs:

how much dose it cost to change the head unit and wiring to a uk spec one.......... coz i might need to do it......!! :headhurt:

cost me £150 to have the Sony head unit fitted by a mate who does car radio fitting :thumbs: , thats including the Sony head unit by the way

P1010005-1.jpg

cool......... i might need to go the same route ....... why are the band expanders crap......... :blush: thanks for the locing wheel nuts lomoto by the way........ :thumbs:

Some members have had sucess with band expanders, but not me :scare: glad nuts were OK for you :thumbs: