interior scratches and door handle scratches

mylesmcg

Unfortunately Nissan decided to make the interior from old melted Chocolate bars! :rant:

I posted something about this a while back but - the the interior plastics - well they are just sprayed vinyl paint on the grab hand bit (with door switches etc) and it rubs /scratches easiliy! The quick cheap fix is to get a dark grey or black crayon - and rub it onto the scratch - then smooth it out with your finger - but it does'nt last that long and on a hot day ......... well...

I still hav'nt found anything to repair this other than finding some vinyl paint - which is difficult to source and spray the cover again - some people cover them with something else - or you can get bookbinding leather - which is super thin from bookbinding suppliers and cover it with that - using an impact adhesive (being careful it wont melt the white plastic underneath!)

Thats on another todo list of mine one day.......... :surrender:

Re: the metal door release - use some T Cut on it to smooth out the scratches - you would be surprised how good it can be - or try Mer Polish instead for something milder? :)

Re: the metal door release - use some T Cut on it to smooth out the scratches - you would be surprised how good it can be - or try Mer Polish instead for something milder? :)

just tried this and it worked a treat. thanks for the help stan :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately Nissan decided to make the interior from old melted Chocolate bars! :rant:

I posted something about this a while back but - the the interior plastics - well they are just sprayed vinyl paint on the grab hand bit (with door switches etc) and it rubs /scratches easiliy! The quick cheap fix is to get a dark grey or black crayon - and rub it onto the scratch - then smooth it out with your finger - but it does'nt last that long and on a hot day ......... well...

I still hav'nt found anything to repair this other than finding some vinyl paint - which is difficult to source and spray the cover again - some people cover them with something else - or you can get bookbinding leather - which is super thin from bookbinding suppliers and cover it with that - using an impact adhesive (being careful it wont melt the white plastic underneath!)

My door switch covers need sorting, scratched and worn :yuck: but i don't want to go to the expense of carbon overlays. I noticed that Halfords sell the vinyl/plastic paint, and wondered if anyone has tried repainting their switch surrounds, and if so how did they turn out? Was thinking of experimenting and painting it silver to match the interior door levers. Any thoughts or suggestions on this and anything to be aware off would be handy to know. :thumbs:

My door switch covers need sorting, scratched and worn :yuck: but i don't want to go to the expense of carbon overlays. I noticed that Halfords sell the vinyl/plastic paint, and wondered if anyone has tried repainting their switch surrounds, and if so how did they turn out? Was thinking of experimenting and painting it silver to match the interior door levers. Any thoughts or suggestions on this and anything to be aware off would be handy to know. :thumbs:

OOhh oooh I missed this?? Halfrauds sell the stuff do they?? I never venture into there ..... :surrender: Who is it made by or is it own brand? Does it say - safe to spray on plastic?

I am not 100% sure silver will look good on the doors - especially it is not entirely smooth as its a soft finish? But just check it does'nt melt plastic with the thinners !

Gold leaf may be a better option - hey you could really bling it up! ;)

Hey you could go retro and get some crinkle cut paint like on MG midgets! :headhurt::lol:

http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/417482-black-rubberized-paint-interior-scratching-off-see-the-fix-here.html

post 19 talks of changing them to silver

i'm thinking they would be nice in black leather :)

Would be nice in leather but again the issue is the thickness of the leather would make it tricky to get a good fit on the panel - but using a very thin like a bookbinding backing leather could solve that - but issue is the impact adhesive will probably want to melt the plastic moulding?

Bleeding Nissan cheapskates! :dry:

Here's that post from my350z.com>

(I had a professional body shop paint mine, they had to hand sand

down the panels down to the plastic and get all the factory black

coating off, then i had mine primered, painted several coats silver to

match the color of the interior door handles and had clearcoated several

coats-had it done about 6-7 months ago and looks perfect since.

eventually i am going to have the switch bezels on my steering wheel

done the same way(coating is peeling/scratched on those))

May give this a go :thumbs:

http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/417482-black-rubberized-paint-interior-scratching-off-see-the-fix-here.html

post 19 talks of changing them to silver

i'm thinking they would be nice in black leather :)

Would be nice in leather but again the issue is the thickness of the leather would make it tricky to get a good fit on the panel - but using a very thin like a bookbinding backing leather could solve that - but issue is the impact adhesive will probably want to melt the plastic moulding?

Bleeding Nissan cheapskates! :dry:

hmm good point, i think it wouldnt be a huge hassle to trim down the part at the edges by a couple of mm so the leather takes it flush. just thought though, theres a leather arm rest behind it is there not, so youd end up with 2 colours of leather. i have other plans for this area but they are secret just now :ninja: it'll probably scratch worse though :blush:

Indeed maybe consider a contrasting colour to the other leather panel otherwise it will just look a bit dull? Maybe think about emphasising it with a contrasting coloured stitching.

Or the silver paint thing could be the way to go ala Sunset? :D

• 3 years later...

LEATHER REPAIR.

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me with a leather repair the damaged caused by a 4 month old Patterdale puppy. Its a 3" sort of square where the paws have scratched through the black and now shows the orange colour, same as the thread for stitching. The damaged leather is the perforated part so a patch is out of the question. Is there a hardy hard wearing dye on the market that anyone has tried before with any success. i tried boot polish to no avail. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, SAM