Steering Wheel Options

rogerxp

Having had my Roadster for around 6 weeks now, and fallen in love with the 350Z again, the steer wheel is starting to really bug me.

Firstly, it's too big. Coming from a Beemer with an M Sport wheel this one feels too big and isn't fat enough.

Secondly, it's too slippy. This might be due to the Dealer cleaning it with something stupid but I was, rather lazily, hoping it would improve over time. Don't remember my last 350Z being like this.

Now, I don't really want to lose the OEM look if possible, but especially don't want to lose the mounted controls for the stereo etc. so think I know the answer to this - are they any alternatives worth considering??? It'd be too much to ask Nissan to offer a 'performance' range???

Oh, I should point out that I have done a search on this topic but drew a blank (must admit with so many hits I could have missed a relevant one before I got bored!!!)

I got the Momo version on my JDM. It's slightly smaller than the OEM UK versions but has no steering wheel controls (I actually like this - lets me get on with driving the car rather than fiddling about :drive1 )

I also believe the momo appeared on the R34 GTR Z-Tune as well (but with red bits of leather to match it's interior).

I've never come across a replacement zed steering wheel with controls on it. Looks like you'll have to put up with it or lose the controls.

Sounds pretty complicated. Looks like I'm stuck with my dustbin lid then.

I have compared the two wheels and even though they have a similar number of buttons I'd imagine it's still a pretty big task to rewire one (plus covering over the BMW badge with a Z!!!)

Edit - wow, got distracted and took so long to compose my reply, three other posts came in!!!

I saw a build where someone stuck on an aftermarket steering wheel removed the cruise control buttons and rerouted them to under the steering column...could be an option.

R

It is possible to relocate them, But the problem I have at the moment is finding somewhere & making it look OEMish

my new wheel is smaller than OEM & it feels a lot better :)

I'm interested in getting an after market wheel. What do you need for the airbag? do you permanently have the airbag light on once its removed? Is it legal to drive without an airbag?

My hub came with a resistor for the airbag :thumbs: My airbag light is flashing because of the seats though :dry:

I'm interested in getting an after market wheel. What do you need for the airbag? do you permanently have the airbag light on once its removed? Is it legal to drive without an airbag?

My hub came with a resistor for the airbag :thumbs: My airbag light is flashing because of the seats though :dry:

Why didnt you put some resistors over them too? :bangin:

Why didnt you put some resistors over them too? :bangin:

Because the resistors are still in the envelope that they arrived in :blush:

That BMW wheel looks just as fat as the Zeds and so plain :yuck: , prefer the z wheel any day.

Yeah, the Beemer is plain, but looks classy in my opinion. It's only slightly thicker than the Z wheel but it's just enough. The M Sport wheel is the best I've ever used. Love the look of the Z wheel just wish it was the same dimensions of the M Sport one.

'srobrien' - I've considered wiping it down with Fairy Liquid (or even just a damn rag) to see it that clears off any polish (or whatever might be on there from an over ambitious valeter) but keep forgetting until I'm half way down the road!!!