Mileage - How long will it last!!!

chr15g

Hey guys,

i'm beginning to realise that for my budget,

i'm going to have to accept the fact that i'll be buying a Zed with some miles on it....

The trouble is that i do 41 miles each way to work 5 days a week.

I've done around 20k in the last 9 months of owning the Astra.

Will the 350 be ok with this????

If i pick one up at around 60k,

will it actually last at that rate, or am i better off trying to buy a runaround too to take the brunt?

Providing i get it serviced as frequently as possible, it should be fine though,

shouldn't it?????

I know these cars are alot more reliable, and much better built than the Vauxhalls,

which is one of the main reasons i want one!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of mileage do these usually live to (providing they are looked after obviously!)

Cheers guys.

Chris G

I've bought 2 Zeds with high mileage one was at 72k and the one i got now is on 83k. I had a dyno session last year and the car pulled as strong as an 06 roadster with less than 30k, in fact it beat it hands down on bhp and tourqe outputs. The engines are pretty much bullet proof if regulary maintained and not ragged. So the answer to your question is, how long is a piece of string ;)

They are virtually bullet proof if you look after them as said. However if your doing that sort of milleage then for me I'd probably just get a runaround (£1k) and then you won't care where its parked, who hits it, etc as well.

You have to remember that this car was basically a £30k+ sports car when new, so it will cost more than your average Vauxhall to move about and maintain (although this isn't usually a problem since they're very well made). It's not as bad as you think if your just driving normally, so don't worry it is fully capable of doing long distances.

For me the zed is about a special occasion - it's that sunny day or weekend away. If I drove it around every day in the rain, snow, sleet and shine then it probably won't have that sense of occasion about it. It's up to you though...

They are virtually bullet proof if you look after them as said. However if your doing that sort of milleage then for me I'd probably just get a runaround (£1k) and then you won't care where its parked, who hits it, etc as well.

You have to remember that this car was basically a £30k+ sports car when new, so it will cost more than your average Vauxhall to move about and maintain (although this isn't usually a problem since they're very well made). It's not as bad as you think if your just driving normally, so don't worry it is fully capable of doing long distances.

For me the zed is about a special occasion - it's that sunny day or weekend away. If I drove it around every day in the rain, snow, sleet and shine then it probably won't have that sense of occasion about it. It's up to you though...

I drive my car through rain, snow, sleet and shine. Just means that the sh*tty journeys arent as sh*tty!! I do agree though that a runnabout is a better option for high mileage. Possible a diesel?

I hear what your saying mate, but I'm one of these tight people that grudges paying for a car and not using it!!!! :D

Thats good to know that i'm not going to kill it though.

If i manage to get one and can see how it fairs over the next few months, i'll probably end up getting a wee sh!tter too :D

Cheers!!!

Sod run arounds! My car does 75 miles a day, 5 days a week, and I have taken it from 26k to 72k in just over 2 years. Loving every minute of it, and its never missed a beat and always puts a smile on my face :teeth:

Depending on how long you want to keep it, a beater car might be worth it. But paying for a car (£1k), petrol (wont save you that much), extra insurance, tax, MOT, servicing (not a lot less than a Zed at an inderpendant), it can work out more expensive running a beater than a Zed, and you have to trash around in a shite car all the time! True they depreciate faster with more miles on them, but who cares, its all about the smile it brings you. My mate at work does the same milage as me, has a shite car, and has paid out over £2k this year for repairs. He gets just over 30MPG (about 3 more than me!) and his insurance is about £100 less. In the long run, I've spent about £1k less than him this year as even though my servicing is more expensive, I've had no major work required, even with replacing my brakes at £500!

Do it properly, drive it daily :drive1

Thats pretty much a perfect response mate.

I'm glad i'm not the only one doing stupid miles!!!!

You do need to do your sums, but for me when the Zeds all started to depreciate so much, it would cost more to run a beater car than it would to just cut my losses and use the Zed all the time. Plus it gives me great pleasure taking it everywhere and getting looks and questions about it and the club :thumbs:

Some of the highest mileage 350's are in the US. If you do a search on my350z.com you will find there are many there with over 100k miles on the odo, one believe or not at 273k miles that was posted late last year if memory serves correctly.

Some of the highest mileage 350's are in the US. If you do a search on my350z.com you will find there are many there with over 100k miles on the odo, one believe or not at 273k miles that was posted late last year if memory serves correctly.

f*** me!!

the moons only about 235k away :D

My zed was my daily drive as of last week but as i am a computer engineer and can be called out at anytime to anywhere i hated having to think about where i am going to leave my car. It was also my daily commute which is 20 miles round trip and on a good week i'd last on £40 without any other trips. But i now have a cheap run around to put miles on and not mind where i park it. As for the insurance it will work out alot cheaper as my primary car will be a 1.1 litre with 7 years no claims and my zed doing low miles on weekends.....The best thing about this is that i get to go to the extreme with my zed now.....And its already started :ninja:

nice post with the 100k costs. scary how much it actually costs and you think what else you could do with that money. still worth every penny tho!

273k miles :scare: how the hell have they managed that. even if they got an 03 plate that'd be about 45k miles a year! Great car to do it in however!! :thumbs:

the zed will cope with it, but you'll be servicing every 9000 miles. and averaging between 25-30 mpg. i had this issue a while back and sold my mr2 convertible as i was piling 25000 a year onto it and got a Civic type S GT 2.2 diesel. eats the miles better and was more economical.

if it were me and my job suddenly changed i would possibly look into getting rid of the zed and investing in a mile muncher, but there are some good ones out there. one of the best i drove was a alfa romeo 157 top spec one. with 220 bhp diesel engine. had awesome performance and the torque was huge. and if i had owned it i would have got it chipped pushing the torque to 350 nm i think more than the zed has anyways. plus the interior was nicer than the Zed and i did feel some what special in the alfa. i wouldn't have the civic again. it was good, it ate the miles and it was very rapid, but it was dull.

if you do end up getting one then fair play to you. you'll enjoy it as its a great car.

f*** me!!

the moons only about 235k away :D

A pic of the odometre was shown too. I can't find the post on my350z, but if that was untampered, that's a huge amount of mileage.

Thats pretty much a perfect response mate.

I'm glad i'm not the only one doing stupid miles!!!!

You do need to do your sums, but for me when the Zeds all started to depreciate so much, it would cost more to run a beater car than it would to just cut my losses and use the Zed all the time. Plus it gives me great pleasure taking it everywhere and getting looks and questions about it and the club :thumbs:

And don't forget you'll be doing maybe 100k miles of quality Zed driving to someone else's 10k - priceless! :teeth:

Have to agree with the quality of journey Ive had my car a short while and cant get out of it Every little trip is just amazing and the car loves to be driven ive had lots of cars BMWs AUDI's and my last car a Golf Gti and NOTHING compares to the drive a 350z can give you for the money you pay for this amazing car. I cant believe i arsed about and diddnt get one of these in the first place and thanks to this forum every little niggle you may think youve found can be explained and sorted out.!! :)