Is it Expensive to get a key cut?

350matty

Hi im wanting to get my key cut. Ive asked the dealer for a new key cut, said 70 pounds for the key unit and blade cutting is free then programmed to car is 35 pounds. All together looking around £100.

Is there a cheaper way?

Checked online you can buy the base unit of key, but cannot find blade. Also seen on net that you can programme the key yourself to your car.

Thank you

The keys are logged into the NATS system and this can only be really successfulyl done using the Consult II system.

If it is attempted through other methods it is possible to permanently disable the starting of the engine, be aware this has happened and can be very very costly, new ecu and Nats system entirely. if all keys are deleted then it becomes down to a return to factory to restore access.

£100 is cheap compared to the potential cost if it goes wrong. IMHO.

Thank very much lads.

Think going to do it the safe way and fork out 100 pounds. Still a rip off. Think its only cos of car, if it were a nissan micra it would be alot cheaper even though same kinda keys.

My courtesey car the other day was a Note and the key was EXACTLY the same but I bet its cheaper to get a copy of one of those :rant::rant::rant:

Guest prescience

This topic has been moved into 'General' simply because 'FAQ' is intended as a read-only area for information. It is likely that a FAQ will be generated on this subject in due course. Sorry for any confusion :)

• 2 months later...

My experience was that gettng the right key cut was fairly straightforward if Nissan UK can be provided with the exact code from the driver's door lock. What took much more doing was getting the key programmed to the car - I had to get it done at a dealer and they had eventually to clone a code from another Z to get the job done. Fortunately my supplier was footing the bill, but I reckon it would have come to more than £100 all in.

Wow, that''s expensive! 300 quid!

I had to order a new spare one as well as mine stopped working. I really hope they design a better key for the next generation of Z''s as this one is too plain!

I had a Almera Tino for 1 day = same key!

I like the VW/mercedes keys which you pop out.

Thank very much lads.

Think going to do it the safe way and fork out 100 pounds. Still a rip off. Think its only cos of car, if it were a nissan micra it would be alot cheaper even though same kinda keys.

Matty, the price is the same as the Micra mate, it's the same key.