Tappet nightmare

crowlow

hi - Is it normal for a 5 year old 350z with 32k on the clock to need it's tappets adjusting?

I bought my car from Cannock Nissan and done three thousand miles in it (mostly motorway driving) and it's developed a ticking noise. I've taken it to another Nissan dealer in Coventry to get it fixed and it's going to cost me two thousand quid to sort out. Needless to say I'm gutted.

I got AA gold warranty cover when I bought the car - and I'm still waiting to see if they will cough up. They might not though because they might say it's normal wear and tear.

It doesn't sound normal to me - does anybody have any advice on what I can do?

thanks

for a start i would suggest taking it anywhere else other than the dealers in coventry m8, they are useless.

ive used murley nissan in warwick since buying mine (and i live in coventry) :thumbs:

it sounds excessive for this to be an issue if the car has done so few miles.

furthermore if it is out of warranty why not go to an independent garage?

Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest I've found the Coventry Nissan dealer bleedin' awful so far - they had it 10 days before they even opened the bonnet. They said they had a lot of illness, which could be true, but...

It's good to know that this sounds excessive though - it's what I thought.

The car is still in warranty, but I don't expect them to pay up because there are so many loopholes in the documentation. I expect them to wriggle out of it.

cheers

^^^ what he said.

Also wait for Alex to post up. I'm sure he said that tappet adjustment was quite a big job (he mentioned it being easier with the engine out :scare: ), but an inderpendant will be way less than Nissan if thats the case. Bit of a shady area WRT to warrantee as it will be a wear and tear item, but if it was sold in good faith that nothing was wrong, they couldnt have worn in a few thousand miles. Mine has done 72k now and never had them adjusted and runs just fine.

I would definately get a second opinion on the diagnoses of your ticking noise.

If the noise is from your cams then the engine will have to come out if adjustment is required as the cam buckets will require replacement.

The clearances can be checked in situ tho.

If there is wear on your cams etc then this is usually down to running low on oil at some point.

Unfortunately there estimate is about right. :scare:

Have you checked the usual suspect, the fuel damper ?

Yeah, I don't think they're trying to rip me off - I've heard from other people that it's a nightmare trying to adjust the tappets on a 350.

If it's not covered in the warranty then I'm going to get in touch with Cannock (where I bought it from) and see what they will do about it. The problem wasn't there when I bought it and for it to develop so soon afterwards is really disappointing. Christ, I haven't even driven it like a nutter! :-)

I haven't checked the fuel damper though - although another mechanic said it sounded like the tappets as well.

Thanks for all the advice - it's very good to know it's not "normal" in such a low mileage car

At least with the AA wtee it will cover parts or labour ... interested to see which one though as I have it too... cant see how they can get out of wear and tear if they are worn!! Need to read my small print and then if it dosnt do what the nissan dealers have said I will be having words!

Not sure if you can use the AA wtee anywhere or if its something to do with nissan dealers... If you take it too an indy, you could get them to use aftermarket items... thus releasing a little more power!! and getting the AA to pay for it!

My ideas,

the car have non hydraulic tappets (lifters ) the Bucket under the cam come in many diiferent sizes that you replace to get the correct valve clearance (tappets clearance in old days)

If you need to adjust the clearances it is a pain job , the motor is better off coming out as you need to remove the engine front covers then the cam chains and then the cams.

The cars do have trouble with the cam chain tensioners if they have been run low on oil again they can be done in the car but it is far better to pull the motor to do this job.

Can you record the engine noise and host the vid on u tube or mail it to me mark(@) abbeymotorsport.co.uk so I can listen to it and then I maybe able to shed some light on what the problem maybe.

hope this helps

mark

mines booked in for the end of the month for "diagnosis" at my nissan dealer.

below is a couple clips

th_VIDEO0003.jpg

th_VIDEO00051.jpg

crowlow hows this sound to yours ?mines a 53 with 56k on the clock so litle more but shouldnt need a major rebuild at that should it ???

dont know if its been using oil .. new car . definatly bought with the heart and not the head , wallets gona pay for its mistake !

cars booked in for a diagnosis end of the month and im bracing myself for the worst.

so assuming the mtor has to be puled etc anything worth upgrading while its out .

im thinking if the cams need s to be changed why go stock and i would have thought the headers would be much easyer to do same time too or is it not worth it ?

Hi - just to let you know, the warranty has coughed up.

I'm bleedin' well stunned - not to mention chuffed to bits.

Fingers crossed, that'll be the end of it

cheers, Graeme

Another great result Graeme. :thumbs: