Anyone though of having their car converted to LPG

nicon2k

Evening chaps, LPG convert and guilty party here...

Its an interesting one, I can see why its not for everyone but has worked well for me as I enjoy driving the Z but used to do quite high miles until recently so its kept my fuel costs down. The conversion was already on the car and was the main reason I bought the Z as Id always liked the cars but going from a diesel would have been too thirsty for everyday long distance driving. Tax is around 10% lower but its obviously the fuel which makes the difference in running costs.

Ive not had another car on gas so cant comment on previous experience. Ive been advised that certain cars e.g. Mazda, Honda and VW TFSI engines arent recommended for converting due to problems with the valves. They installed whats called a flashlube system on the Z which keeps the valves lubricated as lpg is quite a dry fuel.

Any questions fire away.

Cheers

Chris

No probs...

The tank is 79 litres which fills to around 56 litres leaving room for the expansion. I get around 240 miles from a full tank

Performance wise, I cant really tell much of a difference if Im honest, there seems to be a little more bite when running on petrol but for normal driving theres nothing between them.

The only other thing which it needs is an extra service every year for the lpg system which is around 60-70 quid

You lose a tiny bit of boot depth as the tank sits a little higher than the spare wheel normally would

Without losing the use of the boot theres not really enough room for the spare wheel, so I carry a compressor around instead in case of puncture, I suppose you could use runflats instead

Thats about it really, and it also helps having a local lpg filling station nearby of course