Dangerous to ground amp to the 350z bodywork?

Eneah

Installed an Alpine 800W amp in the glovebox of my 350z. It's grounded to the metal below the glove box as far away from the fuel tank as I could get it with 4 guage cable. It works perfectly and I haven't had a problem with it except I get a small shock off the bodywork after I turn the ignition off and the amp has been sucking up a lot of juice (music loud). Seems to be proportional to the power the amp has been using. Like I say its not much just enough to make me scared of touching the metal as I get out. :blackeye:

:blink: stumped! Not something I've come accross before, I was running (probably the same) alpine 800W monoblock in the golf, never had shocks from the bodywork. Mine was attached to the bottom of the spare wheel compartment, scratched away the paint for best contact...

Not sure what to suggest, other than one of those really g4y anti-static things hanging down from the car :lol:

Never heard of that before! Theres plenty of audio nutts on here and no one has mentioned it before. Think its just a coincidence tbh. Its more down to certain people and what they wear from what I gather. I never get it, but my missus always gets shocks off different cars which never happens to me :wacko:

I used to suffer with this all the time on a previous car. It got to the point where the guy at the local newsagents made me put my money on the counter because when i handed it to him he got a shock! :lol: It does bloody hurt though! I still get shocks off various things but not the zed thank god!

Pretty sure its not down to the audio. Caps in the amps will not be discharging through you thats for sure.

Probably just down to a combination of what your wearing, what your driving on etc.

+1 The easy way to test it is to get an ammeter across the earth point to see if there is any current flowing. :)

Do not wear chav style shell suits for driving :lol:

I think if you wear trainers (rubber soles) you should be ok.

In the case of nixy, I think if you wear girly shoes (no rubber soles) then you are not insulated against a small shock.

(Need some physics teacher to confirm it tho)

In the case of nixy, I think if you wear girly shoes (no rubber soles) then you are not insulated against a small shock.

(Need some physics teacher to confirm it tho)

we can wait for Biscuit, he's a technology teacher so it's close enough to physics :lol:

Just taken her for a spin with tunes cracked up. Tried touching the metal before puttin my feet on the ground and didn't get shocked so that's a start. I thought it was unlikely to be the amp but I only notice it when getting out after having the music loud, maybe I just move about more when it is :lol:

Got the cloth seats + mats, usually wear jeans + t-shirt + trainers and get shocked whether it's on gravel or tarmac....

yeah its probably due to his synthetic pants! :lol:

But yes, if you get hold of the door on the metal when you open it and then get out it should discharge the electricity. I get them off light switches as well, bloody annoying, but funny when you zap someone else!