Cars V Horses

aquagazgt4

Have just experienced a very traumatic experience. My wife was out hacking on her horse sunny afternoon down a well ridden road frequented by horses on a B road just outside the village of wix, essex. she heard a high revving speeding car behind her she raised her hand, as riders do to slow cars approaching, the blue y reg mondeo ploughed into the back of her tearing off her horses rear right leg on impact, she was hurled into the air landing on her back on the road. the car took a further 30metres to stop. the horse tried to get up in shock not realising it was missing a leg and dragged itself to the far side of the road with my wife clinging on to its bridle, a nearby farmer arrived and shot the horse, all this time the 3 occupants ( polish workers claiming dole and working unlicensed}of the mondeo remained inside the car uninjured, offering no assistance.

My wife has a broken femur, fractured sternum which swelled and compromised her heart, broken nose, black eyes, and bruising.

the police estimated the cars speed to be in excess of 70 miles an hour at impact, car was written off, smashed a pillar caved roof in.

outcome of this will probably be undue care and 3-6 points and a fine.

I dont know about you guys but when i am driving in a rural area frequented by horses , cyclists , in a small village lined with entrances i am very wary. in an area like this the national speed limit is allowable but not compulsory.

I have had to fly home from work, pull put of a house purchase , nurse my wife and prepare for the trauma of her coming to terms with this.

so guys if you know theres horses and riders be aware

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just experienced a very traumatic experience. My wife was out hacking on her horse sunny afternoon down a well ridden road frequented by horses on a B road just outside the village of wix, essex. she heard a high revving speeding car behind her she raised her hand, as riders do to slow cars approaching, the blue y reg mondeo ploughed into the back of her tearing off her horses rear right leg on impact, she was hurled into the air landing on her back on the road. the car took a further 30metres to stop. the horse tried to get up in shock not realising it was missing a leg and dragged itself to the far side of the road with my wife clinging on to its bridle, a nearby farmer arrived and shot the horse, all this time the 3 occupants ( polish workers claiming dole and working unlicensed}of the mondeo remained inside the car uninjured, offering no assistance.

My wife has a broken femur, fractured sternum which swelled and compromised her heart, broken nose, black eyes, and bruising.

the police estimated the cars speed to be in excess of 70 miles an hour at impact, car was written off, smashed a pillar caved roof in.

outcome of this will probably be undue care and 3-6 points and a fine.

I dont know about you guys but when i am driving in a rural area frequented by horses , cyclists , in a small village lined with entrances i am very wary. in an area like this the national speed limit is allowable but not compulsory.

I have had to fly home from work, pull put of a house purchase , nurse my wife and prepare for the trauma of her coming to terms with this.

so guys if you know theres horses and riders be aware

Thats awful bud I really hope your wife recovers well. We have a fair few holiday parks near us which offer equestrian rides out and often encounter fairly large groups of riders, many inexperienced. Its impossible to drive at speed around our village.

Really sorry to hear this.

As for the other aspect of the incident, I will decline to start as I wouldnt be able to stop :rant:

Thats awful bud I really hope your wife recovers well. We have a fair few holiday parks near us which offer equestrian rides out and often encounter fairly large groups of riders, many inexperienced. Its impossible to drive at speed around our village.

Really sorry to hear this.

As for the other aspect of the incident, I will decline to start as I wouldnt be able to stop :rant:

god i am so sorry to hear this horrific thing! I am an ex horse owner myself and am always aware of the fact that there could be one round the next corner on a country road (same with tractors and motorbikes!) I am just not sure how the law works with migrant workers over here with cars. I had a house full of latvians next door to me a couple of years ago who were working in a nearby factory - they had cars with latvian plates and drove around like total lunatics in our tiny village. I presume as they are not registered with the DVLA they are literally untouchable in terms of speed cameras etc? I hope your wife gets over this in time and gets back on another horse - give her my best wishes. :console:

god i am so sorry to hear this horrific thing! I am an ex horse owner myself and am always aware of the fact that there could be one round the next corner on a country road (same with tractors and motorbikes!) I am just not sure how the law works with migrant workers over here with cars. I had a house full of latvians next door to me a couple of years ago who were working in a nearby factory - they had cars with latvian plates and drove around like total lunatics in our tiny village. I presume as they are not registered with the DVLA they are literally untouchable in terms of speed cameras etc? I hope your wife gets over this in time and gets back on another horse - give her my best wishes. :console:

yes was at work 11 days, straight home and all plans ruined. pulled out of a house purchase and purchase of a GTR. just goes to show never make plans. be honest give my zed away if we could have horse back.

but stress free now will remain home for summer and relax bugger getting stressed. therapeutic zed polishing.

main thing wife is recovering could of been a lot worse.

yes was at work 11 days, straight home and all plans ruined. pulled out of a house purchase and purchase of a GTR. just goes to show never make plans. be honest give my zed away if we could have horse back.

but stress free now will remain home for summer and relax bugger getting stressed. therapeutic zed polishing.

main thing wife is recovering could of been a lot worse.

Shocking! :scare:

I wish your wife a speedy recovery and send my best wishes to you as I'm sure it's been a crazy experience for you both.

in an area like this the national speed limit is allowable but not compulsory.

Very good point. We all speed occasionally on rural roads however we need to think about the surroundings. It isn't always safe to drive near the speed limit.

Shocking! :scare:

I wish your wife a speedy recovery and send my best wishes to you as I'm sure it's been a crazy experience for you both.

in an area like this the national speed limit is allowable but not compulsory.

Very good point. We all speed occasionally on rural roads however we need to think about the surroundings. It isn't always safe to drive near the speed limit.

Jesus Christ! Excuse the blasphemy but that is shocking! Surly this is dangerous driving and should warrant a prison sentence??? I know someone who was driving a car whilst the passenger beat a sheep with a bat....the guy driving went to prison for 6 months! Would someone like to tell me why this mondeo driver (who was clearly breaking the speed limit) shouldn't go to prison? The justice system is shocking!

Sorry to hear about your wife dude, hope she gets well soon!

Jesus Christ! Excuse the blasphemy but that is shocking! Surly this is dangerous driving and should warrant a prison sentence??? I know someone who was driving a car whilst the passenger beat a sheep with a bat....the guy driving went to prison for 6 months! Would someone like to tell me why this mondeo driver (who was clearly breaking the speed limit) shouldn't go to prison? The justice system is shocking!

Sorry to hear about your wife dude, hope she gets well soon!

That's horrific & so glad it did'nt turn out to be worse. I'm with everybody else in wishing your wife a good & speedy recovery from her injuries & the trauma.

What could be around the corner on country roads always tempers my speed. Horses, tractors or idiots are always a possibility of what you could encounter. These guys were obviously travelling to fast to be able to stop no matter what was on the road. I would have thought the driver would be charged with at least reckless driving, but don't know what the situation would be, with a foreign national, in being able to carry out the sentence. Can only hope they are able to throw the book at him.

That's horrific & so glad it did'nt turn out to be worse. I'm with everybody else in wishing your wife a good & speedy recovery from her injuries & the trauma.

What could be around the corner on country roads always tempers my speed. Horses, tractors or idiots are always a possibility of what you could encounter. These guys were obviously travelling to fast to be able to stop no matter what was on the road. I would have thought the driver would be charged with at least reckless driving, but don't know what the situation would be, with a foreign national, in being able to carry out the sentence. Can only hope they are able to throw the book at him.