For Jerry 3167 Takata harness fixing points

ZMANALEX

Jerry,

If you do not want to fit the harness to the floor using eye bolts then the belt can be fitted to the harness cross bar.

You can remove the hook fastener from the belt and wrap the belt round the bar and secure with a buckle.

Or you can weld short eye bolts to the bar and retain the hook fastener as in the pictures below from my old purple Z. This is the way that I would recommend if you want to fit the belt to the bar and have a safe system.

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

DSCF0118.jpg

Alex.

Thing is tho Alex, is that I can see your harness bar is part of a rollcage and I imagine it to be pretty rigid.

The Sparco Harness bar is mounted on the upper seatbelt mounting points and seems to have a little movement (unless we mounted it wrong ofc)

I suppose Jerry could have the right thread cut into the right spots on the bar itself and welded into place like on yours. (tbh, I think that's the best solution as it would be the perfect reach for the harness length)

Thing is tho Alex, is that I can see your harness bar is part of a rollcage and I imagine it to be pretty rigid.

The Sparco Harness bar is mounted on the upper seatbelt mounting points and seems to have a little movement (unless we mounted it wrong ofc)

I suppose Jerry could have the right thread cut into the right spots on the bar itself and welded into place like on yours. (tbh, I think that's the best solution as it would be the perfect reach for the harness length)

Yes, you will have slight movement with the Sparco Harness Bar, but stabilizer bars do help. ;)

These Harness Bars are designed for the belt to be wrapped around the bar and fixed to an eye bolt in the floor.

Jerry asked me how to fix the belt to the bar and I have replied accordingly. :thumbs:

I think the problem was the Takata harness actually wrapping around the bar and then back to the buckle..

It seemed to be that if you attached to an eye bolt then the strap stayed tight but if you put it round the bar the buckle kept loosening off... Just need to spend some more time looking at it Jerry. When you get your seats I will come over and have a butchers....

The buckle closest to the eye hook has some sort of spring mechanism in it....

Alex- As far as I am aware Sparco didn't intend the harness to loop the bar then be fixed to the floor. The force on the bar is lateral which is why the bar isn't straight and instead bends towards the rear of the car before the horizontal straight part. Stabilizers, imo are not entirely necessary due to the directional forces.

Agree, but I understood from Jerry that his harness had hook fasteners and that there were no buckles or brackets on the webbing to facilitate a wrap over. I did suggest by pm that an introduction of a buckle and the removal of the hook fastener would allow a wrap over application.

I think that a stabilizer fitted to under the bar leading down to the floor adds extra support to the bar if the webbing was to go over the bar and down to the floor.

I personally prefer eye bolts welded to the Harness Bar.

I think that he will have enough information now to make an informed decision. :lol::lol::lol:

Glad to see you are getting this sorted Jerry.

IMO I would have eyebolt threads welded into the bar. I dont beleive that the bar will hold up properly should you run the harness to the boot floor area due to the downward forces applied. As said above, it looks to be designed to take the forces in a lateral and not vertical plane. I'm guessing you dont want to cut off your eyebolt mounts from the harness to fit a buckle (I thought I saw they were sewn in rather than threaded in via a buckle, sorry if I am wrong), so eyebolts on the bar are the best solution :thumbs: