Cleaning black car, best way to avoid swirl marks

Mark-UK

Anyone recommend a good polisher and sealer please, also do people actually use tyre blacker/shiner, was worried about slippy brakes after use.

Good polish or polisher? One is the product and one applies it ;) Good polish can be anything from Autoglym Super Resin Polish (good as its mild and has fillers to help hide the swirls you cant get rid of by hand) to Poorboys SSR1, 2 or 2.5 depending on how much correction you need. If you've never done it before go for AG SRP as its a good product and you cant really use it wrong. Sealant, again AG Extra Gloss Protection (EGP) is good. You'll ideally want a wax on top of that, anything from Dodo Juice and you cant go wrong B)

So auto glym is one you cant go wrong with, I already have carnuaba 222 wax so will shampoo, polish, seal, then wax.

Sounds like a good start. As you can imagine (and as I've said before) there are more steps you can add, but for a starter for six, wash, polish, seal and wax is a good base :thumbs:

Why dont you seal AFTER waxing, i would have thought wax creates the shine yes/no? So the shampoo cleans the car, the polish creates the shine? Then you seal the shine so dirt and grit only stay ontop of the shine and can be washed off easily, im just trying to understand the thought and reasoning behind its process/step?

Mark-UK,

Had my Black Coupe for just about two months now. Had a few surface scratches and the car was only 5 months old.

Bought some Meguiars Clay but I knew I wouldn't have time so I left that stage out for now.

Once the car was washed and well and truly dry, used Autoglym Super Resin polish to prep the surface before waxing. As mentioned earlier, this helps lift out any contaminants and can help remove light scratches (removed quite a noticable one off mine). I then finished off with a coat of Zymol Carbon Wax. Just another option but i'm sure your R222 stuff will be good. I would have liked to have given it two coats but even still, the car is still easy to clean and has a great shine.

Also I used the Autoglym SRP on my wheels (after the were washed and dry) which fethced out the odd bit of tar that had smudged when i tried to wash it off and then sealed them with Porrboys Wheel Sealant which seems pretty good so far.

For washing, I use the two bucket method with a grit guard in one bucket to clean the lambswool wash mit and have a different sponge for the lower sills where the grit and dirt gets stuck to the car more. Still got the odd surface scratch when you look at the paint at certain angles but I think you always will.

If your new to it I'd start with the Wash, Polish and Wax method and see how you go. It will need doing again anyway so you could then try the meguiars clay. I'm hoping to give this a go over the next 4-6 weeks as never used Clay before and I'm intrigued.

Good luck anyway mate :thumbs:

dodo wax can be very hard, a quick squirt of detailer into the jar does the trick and helps get a nice even coat of wax on the car :thumbs:

I find leaving it on a radiator, in the sun, a warm car (thats in the sun) or the airing cupboard prior to application can help warm and soften it up a bit. :thumbs: (or leave it on top of my 1000w work light in the garage :blush::lol: )

OK finally started, washed with mitt and 2 buckets, towel dried then tbh its boiling so cheated and just used mcguires detailer spray, looks good. Ive not used my 222 carnuaba wax yet. Which is the stage that gives it a fantastic shine? Wax or polish?

The carnuaba 222 wax doesnt really have clear instructions, just says add in strokes then wipe off before dries, is that it? How much do I use per stroke, how long to wait before rubbing off, do I add with a microfibre sponge.

OK finally started, washed with mitt and 2 buckets, towel dried then tbh its boiling so cheated and just used mcguires detailer spray, looks good. Ive not used my 222 carnuaba wax yet. Which is the stage that gives it a fantastic shine? Wax or polish?

The carnuaba 222 wax doesnt really have clear instructions, just says add in strokes then wipe off before dries, is that it? How much do I use per stroke, how long to wait before rubbing off, do I add with a microfibre sponge.

Polishing brings out the shine by flatting the clear coat (removing small scratches that diffuse the light and cause the hazy look).

For the wax, use an applicator pad and wipe it around in the pot for say 5 circles (enough to get the top layer warm and pliable). Then lighly pass the pad over the car paint and it should leave just a really thin layer. The thinner the better as only the bottom layer will bond to the car, the rest will wipe off and is a waste. Leave the wax until it starts to become hazy and it should just wipe off. If it smudges when you wipe, leave it a bit longer, and if its really hard to remove, you left it too long. As with most things, you soon get a feel for how much to apply and how long to leave it ;)

Warm hands work well to apply, less is better than too much. Do one panel at a time. :)

I personally find it easier to get a nice thin layer with an applicator pad, but its horses for courses really. You look a bit of a nutter doing it by hand too :bangin::lol:

Warm hands work well to apply, less is better than too much. Do one panel at a time. :)

Sharing your knowledge again martin, its a great tip, I did far less wax application when at Billing as Martin kindly helped out :#1: Thanks again :thumbs:[/quote

Yes, I remember

:lol:

I was going to polish then wax now but the cars boiling as its in the sun and theres no way of moving to somewhere cooler, maybe I should do it in the morning when the sun is round the other side of the house and the cars in the shade?