Thanks WRC

urbanmyth

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi urbanmyth

I'm seriously thinking of doing the APS conversion( 54 GT Orange) . Just got a reply back from WRC and it'll cost 7k inc vat + they take from 7-10 days to do the conversion. The only real problems I've read about on the web is traction on the stock tyres.

I was wondering if you are experiencing that

Cheers

Hello headbanger

I cant say that I have experienced it but as to yet I have not had the traction control off. It has cut it once or twice but that has only been in the wet.

All in all when you get 400 plus bhp:teeth: going thought the rear tyres it is all ways going to be a bit off fun. I have also noticed that the rest off the car is well up for the extra power. The brakes are fine and the chasse and suspension is more than capable.

Where in Essex are you ?

Well, I'm just about to see when I can get the car booked in to WRC for the conversion.

Sorry, but I have another question for you urbanmyth.

I'm not much of a petrolhead and have been reading through the APS site about exhausts and how restrictive exhausts (i.e. cat) can affect the boost + raise the temperature on internals. I guess the larger APS sump probably helps to dissapate that heat as well as supply the turbos but did you keep the stock cats ? Also did you have test pipes fitted ?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark

Well, decided to take the plunge and ordered the kit/install from Allan at WRC back in July. Had to wait quite a while without knowing what was happening which was down to the company shipping the kit over. Not Allen's fault. But finally, last week Allan called to say it was in and I drove the 100 miles from Stanford to Silverstone on Saturday to drop the car off. Must say I really enjoyed the off-motorway bits of the drive as I don't often get an excuse to go any distance in the Z (apart from the 40Mph restriction on the M1!! mind you the cruise control took care of that!).

Allan showed me a printout from what I remember (was slightly nervous, never done this before :0) was your torque/power graph .... impressive , 408bhp with a fat 400lbs torque curve from pretty low down revs. There was also someone else there just picking up the kit to fit themselves (not something I would consider doing)

I was just wondering (to feed my anticipation!) while I'm waiting for the work to be done (should be about 2 weeks if all goes well) how you are getting on with the APS and when/if you are getting the dual cats fitted.

Cheers

Hi prescience

Pretty much all web (google) based research for the past 6 months, I'm no petrolhead/engineer but am reasonably logical with a scientific bent. Looked at all the forums and Info I could find. At the end of the day, I really do like the Z but just wanted more performance and was on the verge of selling it until I saw the APS kit ... I could still be taking a risk but at the end of the day, you only live once and I'm pretty lucky to have a decent job and no mortgage so decided to to go for it. Sorry if this doesn't help you but that's all I know.

Cheers

Headbanger, you should have the APS true dual exhaust fitted as part of the package you are buying. This is mandatory for all cars in Europe, as the exhaust helps with reducing the thermal load on the motor, and produces very low back pressure. I would recommend that you fit the test pipes to further reduce thermal load on the engine.

If you are not getting the exhaust as part of the package, then WRCT are not playing the game as they should do. This has happened to alot of people in the UK, as APS only sell the kit complete with the exhaust, but the UK dealers are selling these on for extra profit.

This already cost on guy his engine, as the subsequent thermal load caused an exhaust valve to melt and drop into the cylinder, killing the motor.

Please check with your dealer, I would hate to see another owner get burnt.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Jon.

Hi

Yep the car is running a treat thanks. I had the test pipes fitted when I had the kit fitted. Every time I go out in it I :D like a cat. If you like the car as standard then you will love the BHP & lbs you get with this kit.

I would like to add my two pence worth to this exhaust issue that is going on at the moment. Yes it dose help the thermal loading but as long as the mapping is done correct on the system you are running then all should be fine. I have had 4 previous modified turbo charged car (RS Turbo, GTI R , MR2 Turbo, Impreza) along with a (Honda Integra). As I said I modified them all exhaust and ECU. All the car listed I have fitted a ECU and had them mapped to the exhaust I was using. In the case off the GTI R and the Impreza I changed the exhaust system 3 times on each car. Each time the car had to be remapped for the system I was running. What I am trying to say in short is the mapping has to reflect the modification done (or not done) to the car. If you are going to push the car to the limits off what the engine can handle and not take in to account the modifications in to the map then there will be only one out come (good bye engine). Chris at WRC who dose all the mapping is very experience and will map on the safe side. The standard engine can handle 400bhp no problem but when you start to push things to more than that and do not have a very good map then the inevitable will happen. All the car I have modified I have never had a engine let go on me. In my opinion a well mapped ECU taking in to account the modification done and not running the car to the maximum it can take is why I fill i have yet to have a engine failure.

All off the above is from my experience as a turbo nut. I am no stranger to modified car as the list below shows

RS Turbo 240Bhp

GTIR 280Bhp

Mr2 Turbo 300Bhp

Impreza 290Bhp

Integra 230Bhp

true urbanmyth but if the exhaust is included by the manufacturer in the package, any main dealer should include it too.

The cars that have blown up afaik are G-Force's own car and Giles's car. If the kit is supposed to run on a true dual, and the exhaust is included in the package, so be it.

Although tbh my finger as you say would be pointing more to the tune that has been done by those muppets rather than just the extra thermal load...

All the cars you mention above are already turboaed aren't they? so that imo makes quite a difference (apart from the integra maybe? )

Thing is, regardless of the way you map the car, at the end of the day, the zed engine isnt designed to run turbo's, and the engine needs to get the gases away as quick as possible. To that effect, the car needs to be fitted with the APS designed exhaust, as the kit was designed around it. Other supposed high flowing exhaust that are out there, just dont cut it for evacuating the gases from the cylinders. Thermal load is a major factor with this kit, the exhaust valves are not designed to run at the EGT that this kit will produce. Of course, the tune is important, as well.

Cars that are already turbo are a different story.

Dealers shouldnt be letting these kits go out without the proper exhaust fitted, exhaust design is vital on turbo engines, more so on high compression ones.

To add my two penneth, I have it on very goood authority that the standard engine WILL NOT stand up to 400bhp. 390 is absolute max either FI or NA without internal mods. It may run for a while but not for long.

As for WRC I only ever used them once got charged nearly 4 times more than the going rate didnt get what I was told I would get, and they damged my car. Complete muppets. AVOID. I will say Chris is a very knowledgable bloke and without him I doubt WRC would exist.

The car that have blown are the G-Force car. That car had the exhaust fitted. Giles,s car went pop as well. What is the common denominator here G-Froce.

Yep the tune (map) off the car is important. But not just important it is the most important thing on the system. A bad map will destroy an engine quicker than anything else. I fill this is where G-Force fell on it’s ass big time as they did not have any one who could map a car correctly.

I am not get into a argument about WRC as every one will have there own opinion and experience on them.

All I will say is that if you was not happy with them try talking to them instead off going on to an open forum and complaining as this will get you know where with the problems you are having.

Guest prescience
To add my two penneth, I have it on very goood authority that the standard engine WILL NOT stand up to 400bhp. 390 is absolute max either FI or NA without internal mods. It may run for a while but not for long.

There are one hell of a lot of people running successfully above that power level - sure some of the much higher power ones have built motors. There are also threads showing that they have run these cars at those powers for many thousands of miles and regularly drag their cars ..

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... 45&page=19

The car that have blown are the G-Force car. That car had the exhaust fitted. Giles,s car went pop as well. What is the common denominator here G-Froce.

That's not really a valid argument is it since AFAIK G-Force have done the vast marority of APS TT installs in the UK. Also there has been at least one NA failure and other NA cars with worringly high oil usage

Yep the tune (map) off the car is important. But not just important it is the most important thing on the system. A bad map will destroy an engine quicker than anything else. I fill this is where G-Force fell on it’s ass big time as they did not have any one who could map a car correctly.

Don't know about G-Force (they certainly didn't deal with me very well).

Against that, I would say that I am aware of 5 Vortech installs in the UK and the only one which had problems .. well we know where that was installed and no-one can dispute that fact [it must be noted that this situation AFAIK has been resolved to the Customer's satisfaction]

Sarnie - buy an old banger to run about in and TT the Zed.

It makes sense! B)

Any prices on this yet? Just wondering out of interest.....

300 bhp is more than enough for me mate :scare::thumbs:

Me too but then I'm a big pussy.... I only drive the Z with ESP disabled in the dry! :blush:

With confidence I'll be sliding all over the shop! :yahoo:

If you are not getting the exhaust as part of the package, then WRCT are not playing the game as they should do. This has happened to alot of people in the UK, as APS only sell the kit complete with the exhaust, but the UK dealers are selling these on for extra profit.

Regards,

Jon.

Jon / Lee

Dont you just love hearsay ? The APS Twin Turbo System in the UK for 350Z is priced and specified exactly as per USA. The two kits are identical in their content with the exception of specific components required for RHD vs LHD. The reasons we priced UK at exactly the same as USA pricing were twofold:-

1} APS wanted consistency on 350z product worldwide

2} We wished to restrict internet shopping to those that really felt the added aggro was woth speculating on currency / vat avoidence etc.

With this in mind the "kit" as delivered from APS does not contain an exhaust for either market. The fact that APS have recently suggested that the exaust is mandatory for Europe has not altered the fact that we still have to order the exhaust in addition to the TT kit !

The addition of the exhaust as mandatory may or may not have come about as a direct result of failures, who will ever know.

The safest route when you are unsure of your facts, would be to refrain from commenting.

Regards

Allan